Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Fuel Winterizer = Anti-gel

I have used two fuel anti-gel products - both did not perform at -25 degrees F. I used double the recommended dosage and still had the fuel gel to the point where I had to idle [anything more than an idle and the engine would just quite] to a Wal-Mart and buy 911 additive. It took 6 quarts before the engine would run good. Both manufactures said I did something wrong - WRONG . I followed their instructions.
Now for the good part. Two friends who drive trucks full time cross country said they always mix 10% gasoline with the diesel fuel and they have no gel problems. This sounds crazy to me but my nephew, who is a diesel mechanic, says this is a common practice among truck drivers. I was going to call Cummins but I am almost sure they will tell me not to do it.

Has anyone had personal experience with this issue?
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

TJ-
1) you are in the wrong neighborhood. Head south. Mexico is beautiful this time of year.
2) up to 10% gas is what some truckers use. Per a recent thread here on iRV2, a Cummins shop asked a DP owner after he put gas in the tank, "how much gas vs diesel?" Then told him, "if its less than 10% gas you should be OK to just burn it thru, more than that & you'll have to empty the tank." Personally, I've always followed advice in #1, so can't vouch for actually doing it myself.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #3

At that temperature I would also start worrying about my antifreeze; getting close to the 50/50 freeze point. Glad we are the other side of the Ohio as I have never seen it below zero here. Tonight is supposed to be 19 degrees (and it's only November!), so we need to head South soon.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Yo! We live in Ohio and Ski in Colorado. Thus, the -25 sometimes but not often.
When the coach at well below zero for a week it presents problems. I keep a Honda Generator in the condo and take it to the coach, start it up and plug in the block heater for about 4 hours. Then the coach will start OK.
I guess I'll try the 10% gasoline mix and keep my fingers crossed the heads don't blow off.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

Dont know the difference but was always told that truckers switched over to winter diesel grade of #1 vs the summer grade of #2 but availability of #1 maybe an issue.

On second thought, I agree with EM--you are too far north!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fueled up at the local Cenex last week. They have the Winter blend in and its about 10% No. 1 in the No. 2. I also add an additive to help out. I have had gelling problems before and don't want it again.

Adding gasoline scares me a little.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Here is a posting from FlyingJ in 2012. Don't know if they still offer this.

"Participating Pilot Flying J locations in northern climates that experience harsh winters and temperatures reaching 15 deg. F or below regularly will offer a free diesel fuel additive to help prevent breakdowns due to fuel line and filter freezing and corrosion.
The additive is available at Pilot Travel Centers and Flying J Travel Plazas anywhere with a temperature posting of 15 deg. F or below as well as areas known for harsh winters, such as Colorado, New York, Minnesota and Wyoming. Other centers in northern-tier states will also offer the additive."
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
When the coach at well below zero for a week it presents problems. I keep a Honda Generator in the condo and take it to the coach, start it up and plug in the block heater for about 4 hours. Then the coach will start OK.
I guess I'll try the 10% gasoline mix and keep my fingers crossed the heads don't blow off.
I would not do this if I were you, back a couple of decades ago they (refinery's) use to spike their #2 fuel with kerosene in the winter (winter blend) now it is done with additives. If you are going to add anything I would suggest kerosene as kerosene is a higher refined grade of #2 fuel and beyond kerosene is higher refined jet fuel. When I drove over the road when the temps. got down to 0 deg. I would pump 50 gallons into each of the tanks then top off with #2 fuel (300 gallons total) and never a gelling problem.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
What is used in diesel fuel in Alaska? -25 below can be a regular occurrence up there in the winter. Years ago, I heard of people mixing kerosene, which I believe is #1 diesel, with winter blend at about a 10% ratio. I also would "not" be receptive to mixing gas with diesel.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
You ask a great question that I would like to know as well. It seems we are going to be in Winnipeg Canada this winter and we have been told -40 is not uncommon.

I know guys, "go south young man" and I will CERTAINLY do that as soon as I can...and stay as long as possible to thaw.

There has to be something as the 18 wheelers run year round here in Canada.

Any y'all that live north know any answers...?

Thanks in advance.
Leo
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
What is used in diesel fuel in Alaska? -25 below can be a regular occurrence up there in the winter. Years ago, I heard of people mixing kerosene, which I believe is #1 diesel, with winter blend at about a 10% ratio. I also would "not" be receptive to mixing gas with diesel.
If one could afford it pure kerosene would make your engine run well with little to no emissions but very expensive and would be loosing some lubricating ability's maybe, kerosene will not gell up like diesel fuel do to it is a refined grade of diesel fuel and that is why is it to blend with diesel to stop the gelling in extreme temps.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey folks, I just talked to a local driver and he pointed me to this. He calmed this is the stuff he runs all the way to the Arctic Circle. "It claims" to work to -40.

Arctic Express® Diesel Fuel Antigel
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #13

We live in Montana so you know it gets cold, years ago I drove diesel school busses on a part time basis. When I got our first diesel motorhome I asked the bus company repair shop what fuel they used in the winter. It was a complicated, basically they use a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel depending on the predicted temps in the immediate future, max misture was 40% #1. Since then I have found local stations that sell a 50/50 mixture from the pump. To make a long story shorter, I have used the 40/60 mixture every winter since 2000 and have not had any problems. I was told by the shop forman at the bus barn that because the fuel is recirculated, once the busses are started the recirculated fuel will warm the fuel in the tank and it becomes less of a problem the longer the engine runs.

Al
Bigsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The solution to an overnight stop is to not turn the engine off. Many truck drivers do this for weeks at a time. Otherwise the fuel is supposed to be blended to not gel at the lowest expected temp. Some engines have fuel heaters to help and they should be on a thermostat. Some return unused fuel to the tank and this is warm. Fuel should not gel above 17 degress. If you have 200 gallons of fresh fuel from Georgia though you might need some fuel conditioner and put it in about an hour before shutdown so the treated fuel will get into the fuel filter.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, winter