Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I am buying a 2005 alpine rv 40ft desiel and I am worried about refueling they say it will take the
would you buy another alpine 13 100.00%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #15

After thinking about the tank filling problems I wanted to add a little ditty: There is a roll over valve somewhere in the line or just in the tank. Mine has frozen several times and would only take enough fuel to fill the inlet hose. At one time I tried to run a flexible alaskan tree limb down there but to no avail. Eventually was able to procede after the fresh fuel unfroze the valve. In a pinch you will try anything.

Therefore with an initial slug of fuel at the start, I Assume, The valve opens and allows regular fueling. You know what assume does to a person.

By the way hopefully by next year at this time my DW and myself will be in the southern part of the lower 48. I just have not figured axactly when we should leave. This year has been one for the books with warmer than usual temps after very cold -40 to -50 Deg F for 3-4 weeks. My below ground fuel jelled and took out a fuel pump and the well froze also so things have been jumping here. Never in 25 years has the fuel tank below ground jelled.The well has fozen several times and has several heat tapes with several defunct spots. Would add another but couldn't get the frozen part to let go of the down pipe. But we got water flowing again and is still working after a week.

I believe that after a certain date all vehicles have that roll over valve. Anyone else ever have a similar experience? We love the summers here.

Mike E
2003 38' FDDS Alpine

Can anyone tell me how to include the little faces?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Iron Mike,

I'll bet that soft foam seat in the car/truck at +50 degrees feels like comcrete at -50 . How did you get the water flowing.....tactical nuke . Whole new way to make heavy water.

Now back to the serious part. Maybe that valve is why I have a better chance of filling fast at the diesel pumps, than at the car pumps. Maybe the faster flow trips the valve "MORE" better

Old 02-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #17

Tom and Patty: At -30 the seats begin to get hard but after sitting for about 30 minutes they soften up if you have heat up in the car or truck. By the time you get where your going the seats are ok. AT -50 you just forget it and wear warm cloths.

I got the well going by putting a heat tape down the well pipe and leaving it on for several hours.Phew that was a relief. I could envision having to haul water from town and doing the spit bath and outhouse thing. My DW didn't like that idea at all.

Almost everything is back to normal except we don't have the water pressure like before. This summer the pump will get changed out or rebuilt

I believe you and others have found one of the keys to fueling quicker with a large nozzle. Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:29 AM   #18

Iron Mike, I don't quite understand your issue with fueling from both sides? With your generator slide out about a foot you can lay the fuel hose in the generator area and fuel from the drivers side without dragging the hose on your coach or on the ground. Unless you have come across hoses that are not long enough to do this.I have never encounterd that problem.
Confused as usual.
Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #19

MikeE- Contractors in the Lake Tahoe area run into freeze situations regularly. For a metal conduit that freezes full of water, I'm told they hook up the ground side of a welder to one end, then the stick holder to the other, then turn the welder on its lowest amperage. Supposed to work great.
You could try that w/the fuel tank, maybe.

For smilies, the "menu" is the yellow smilie face above the text window in which you "reply." Pick one that applies & it puts the text at the end of your reply; if you want it other than at the end, cut & paste it to the location.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #20

Ted and carol: The small nozzled diesel fuel lines are very short but after your comment I thought back about the truck stops and they all have long hoses with the bigger nozzle for fueling both sides of the truck So I will try using the truck pumps and there is no need for having both sides of the MH with fuel lines. Thanks.

Eng Mike: We do use welders to unthaw water/fuel lines on low amperage. The Fuel tank lines needed blowing out and lower pour point fuel added with a flow conditioner. The well I couldn't get a complete path for current flow to use. The soil is such that a ground rod only goes 3-4" into the ground.
Next time I put a metal pipe down for water I might secure a welders line to the bottom and therefor give me some method other than heat tapes to unthaw the well. Hopefully I won't be faced with building another home on permafrost. Thanks for all the insightful suggestions.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:46 PM   #21

Is there any solution for the slow fueling on the older models?
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Mark,

You might see if the vent hose is routed on top of the filler tube all the way to the tank. Mine was beside and below the filler tube. I disconnected the tube from the tank routed it on top of the filler tube. I had to cut about 2-3 inches off the hose. It seems to have helped.