Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
On our first trip out in our 2000 Apline we were fueling at Flying J's RV pumps. It took us forever to get 60 gallons. The fuel filler neck kept backing up even at a slow rate of fuel. We stopped at 2 truck islands and the Apline took fuel very quickly. Any one else have trouble fueling out of the auto type fuel noozles? I know...I just need to use the truck islands.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2004, 12:57 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
On our first trip out in our 2000 Apline we were fueling at Flying J's RV pumps. It took us forever to get 60 gallons. The fuel filler neck kept backing up even at a slow rate of fuel. We stopped at 2 truck islands and the Apline took fuel very quickly. Any one else have trouble fueling out of the auto type fuel noozles? I know...I just need to use the truck islands.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #3

I find if I don't put it in the filler tube all the way it works fine. If I shove it all the way in it keeps kicking off. I seem to have the same problem at the Truck island and the RV island.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #4

tapd -- I found a pinched vent line that runs along side the large fuel filler line on my coach. I rerouted the vent hose thereby removing the kink and now I fill quickly at either rv or truck islands. Easy fix. Fredbob
Fredbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:16 PM   #5

Fueling our 2000 Apline is a very slow process if the coach is pointed downhill even a little bit. Pumping fuel at a Flying J is almost always slower then other filling stations. Maybe it is because all the Flying J's pumps are usually in operation? Do you have to have special permission to fuel up at the truck islands? Is the loyalty card discount available and are the waiting to fuel lines any smaller at the truck islands?

Cummins 330
Have Alpine will travel. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:40 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have yet to get under the coach and follow the vent hose. It would seem to me that improper venting is the problem.

Fredbob , how far from the front did you find the restriction?

It is a half hour process to fill our coach if it is on the slightest slope to the front. If we are sloping to the rear we can usually fill fast. I've have even put the jacks down in front and dumped the air out of the bags. Many times I fill partially so not to hold others up.

As far as the truck islands, we have never had any negative comments, even some curious truckers. I run in give them my 5% fuel discount credit card, (comes in real handy now) fill up, have Patty pull ahead while I settle up inside so we aren't blocking the pump. The times I've used the high flow truck island pumps we have had better luck filling.

We choose to fill at Flying J's if we can and use their $0.01 discount card. They also give you the cash price even if you are using a bank card. I check out the lines and choose which island I want to fill up. Some of the Flying J's RV islands are really congested with all the car islands ect..and make it tough to get out of the lot.

My Father in-law has 1 million + miles on his '99 Peterbuilt using Flying J and has never replaced his fuel injectors. That's why it's our choice for fuel.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:21 AM   #7

I like Flying J also. Even though they are frequently crowded, the crowd moves along fairly well. Only had one problem, one time- Flying J @ Gorman had a foot of fresh snow, melting all over the place. Pulled out & had "Water in Fuel" light flickering for 30 miles or so. It was so cold out I hadn't added any dispersant while fueling, so I pulled over & added Diesel Power. 10 or so miles later the light quit.
Since its usually dry @ Gorman (top of the "grapevine," I-5 north of L.A.), they probably had a cap off their diesel filler, or some other leak that ordinarily wouldn't affect fuel quality.