Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #1

We just finished our 1st year at full time motorhomers. We have a 2005 Avalanche 400. I can't began to tell you all how much we love this life. Mary and I have put 8,000 miles from Calif to Florida and back. My question is: How many other Avalanche 400 owners are out there and to date our problems have been few. The learning cruve has just leveled out and with a few exceptions very few problems. After reading through several topics and replies we consider our expericne a very good one. We have many questions that we will list later. R
ight now anxious to hear from other Avalanche owners and your experiences.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 AM   #2

We just finished our 1st year at full time motorhomers. We have a 2005 Avalanche 400. I can't began to tell you all how much we love this life. Mary and I have put 8,000 miles from Calif to Florida and back. My question is: How many other Avalanche 400 owners are out there and to date our problems have been few. The learning cruve has just leveled out and with a few exceptions very few problems. After reading through several topics and replies we consider our expericne a very good one. We have many questions that we will list later. R
ight now anxious to hear from other Avalanche owners and your experiences.

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 01-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #3

Gypsies,

Glad to hear you enjoy the full time lifestyle. We have been at it a few months longer and feel the same.

The Rally at Quartzsite AZ. this week will have both the Fulltimers Grp & some others with Avalanches that can better answer your questions.

Sully
Old 01-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #4

Sully,

Thank you for the repsonse. We are curretnly in Benson AZ, and plan on attending the pre rally for Pomona. Hope to see you then

Jack & Mary

Endeavor 40" PDQ
Old 01-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #5

Good to see another Avalanche! We have a 2004 Avalanche, so it does not have the 400 designation. If and when we can get the water leak issues resolved with ours, we will join you as being happy Avalanche owners. Welcome aboard!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #6

I purchased a factory demo Avalanche 400 this spring. As far as livability goes, it's fantastic. WRV's quality control is another issue. I just finished redoing 3 panels on the right side that were loose and rattling. I also had to anchor the under side panel in front of the left front tire. It sounded as if the generator muffler was loose. I had the Onan Equinox Inverter replaced. Also, the driver side slide for the living room seems to stick.
Also, the front jacks have springs while the rear jacks do not. I had to WD40 the rear jacks to get them to retract. With the exception of the inverter, I believe these problems should have been caught by WRV quality control.

I've put about 6,000 miles on the coach. It does drive beautifully. I'm not crazy over the jack system controls.

I've owned 4 class A motorhomes. I believe this will be my last one. Regardless of the problems listed, I would still buy it. But I am interested in problems that others may have experienced. (If there seems to be a wide spread problem, I want to correct it before it impacts my coach.)

Does anyone else out there have a motorcycle lift installed on their Avalanche? I've purchased the Hydralift and need significant modifications to haul my Honda Goldwing. My previous coach had an Overbilt lift that worked great without modification.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 AM   #7

Do you still have your Avalanche?
I had the same problem with the rattle coming from the front left. It drove me crazy. We thought it was from the front hood compartment.
I even went so far as to put a rubber sealer betweeen the hood and the chasis. We have had lots of problems. Charging system, slides sticking, gas gage fluctuating (replacing gas tank as we speak), hood release, wiring in front dash, windows squeeking, entry door needed adjustment,recall on engine for throtling back while driving, factory DVD broken,limited heat from all but one duct, ....
I am desperately looking to hear from someone who has put some miles on their coach to see if they have been able to work thru the issues and are happy with their coaches once they got it dialed in.
Andy
Old 08-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #8

Andy, I think we have the twin to your coach. All of the problems you list we've had and a few others as well.

We're on our 3rd inverter, we've had to re-adjust our kitchen side slide several times and it still doesn't fit as tight as we'd like. Another really annoying issue is the refrigerator. We've bolted it in several times and it still keeps sliding out of it's frame. We have limited air in the defrost and found no hoses hooked up, we've reconfigured the hood latch because it was such a poor design that the brace was detaching from the fiberglass, we've had continual problems with our door, squeaks without cause, arm broke off, locked us out of coach, etc. We've put 35,000 miles on it in 1 year and we've saved a ton on storage because it's spent so much time at the shop. Another issue with ours is the paint, it's bubbling and peeling in many different spots.

We love our Alpine, it's comfortable and works well for our needs but sometimes the troubles do get in the way. It's not our first Class A so we're used to issues arising, we just with they were fewer and further between so we could enjoy the travel without the trouble.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanche
2001 Dodge Dakota Toad
3 pups and us

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 09:28 AM   #9

As I read all the feedback from my posts, it appears there are a handfull of inherent problems with the Avalanche Series. All of the issues seem to be workable with some cooperation from Alpine. I think the lack of dealer sponsored or authorized repair centers may be a big part of the problem.
Early on we had issues with the charging system. The house batteries were not charging while the coach was going down the road. This was repaired at my expense by rewiring around a faulty switch. I am currently struggling with the entry door. Both the lock and the noise/squeeks. I too was locked out, or locked in. Had to crawl out the drivers side window.
We were able to eliminate the squeek by tightening down the post. The post sticks out from the door jam. This post is designed to float so that when you jack the coach up there is play and the door will still close. Now that we have tightened down the post the squeek is gone but whenever we jack the coach up the door has a hard time closing. Also the locking mechanism on the top lock is stripped. It works from the outside with the key (top lock) but the plastic piece on the inside spins around so you cannot lock yourself in at night. It will lock but will not unlock. (Hence the climbing out the window). We have not had issues with the paint. It appears to be slighty wavy in places. Hopefully this is not a precurser to the paint peeling off that everyone talks about. Clearly there are some common issues that Alpine should be aware of. There standard opporating procedure is to deny any knowledge of these problems until pushed. Then they admit there is an issue and help fix the problem. In my case since I am second owner the burden of the repair cost has fallen back to me. Here is a list of problems I have found common to all of the Avalanche owners I have corresponded with.
#1 Gas Tank Sending Unit. Sympton: Gas Gage beeps when fuel level goes below 3/4 tank.
Fix: New Gas Tank with Sending unit positioned so that it does not give false empty signals.
#2 Leaking from front end cap and sometimes rear cap. Also some leaking reported from back slide. My fix was to re-seal the front end cap.
This has totaly eliminated the leak.

#3 Paint peeling from or faulty paint
#4 Converter and charging problems
#5 Air hoses pinched by slide require re-routing of air hoses. This could present a danger and if your air does not stay up this may be the cause of it.
#6 Body panels not secured to frame in various parts of the coach. This results in some banging or rattling noises while going down the road.
#7 Various problems with the kitchen slide
Slide does not line up. Slide makes a thumping noise when retracting.
#8 Entry door problems. Lock assembley, door post. Noise coming from door.
#9 Air condition/defrost distribution of air from coach front cockpit area. Limited air to passenger and little or no defrost from front vents.
#10 Engine cuts out or throttles back while driving down the road. As it turns out this was a recall issue that was fixed/sponsored by Alpine. They will not initialy admint to the recall unless pressed. May create a dangerous situation while enrout.

As it stands right now, my only issue is with the entry door. I am very happy to hear that your coach has made it to 35000 miles. I have the contact info for some of the other Alpine Avalanche owners. We should put a group together. Perhaps Alpine will help out a bit more with a group. There may be some power in numbers.

Andy
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #10

Andy,
Good news is I can help with your lock in/lock out problem. We had the same issue with the plastic lock and I phoned the door manufacturer, they knew exactly what I was talking about and sent me, free of charge, 2 replacement handles that are more solid in construction and should hold up better. I can now lock up at night and not worry about how I'll get out in the morning

Unfortunately our paint peeling problem did start with little waves in the paint that grew bigger and some eventually cracked and peeled.

Your list seems right on the money, the only problem we HAVEN'T had is the engine cutting out and since we're heading over Vail Pass this weekend I'm hoping we don't experience it. If you have more information on this issue I'd love to hear it (email privately if you like)

It would be nice to get more Avalanche owners together, perhaps we could have a separate listing on IRV2.com or a sub listing under Alpine's forum. There aren't that many of us out here and the more the better when trying to work with the manufacturer.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanche
2001 Dodge Dakota Toad
3 pups and Us
goldenpaws@qwest.net

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote