Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #1

Well, I finally have a problem to share and get advice on. My furnace will not start. No fan, no ignition and no flame. The furnace on my model is located under the Washer/dryer. So I cant see the furnace without pulling the W/D unit. There are two small inspection plates in the roof of the right rear (next to batteries) storage bin. Nothing can be seen but a propane connection to the furnace. In taking the thermostat off the wall I find a telephone type plug going to, I dont know where, in the wall. Logic tells me that because the thermostat controlls both a/c units and the furnace with that one telephone cord that there must be a relay or switching box somewhere. Does anybody know where??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #2

Well, I finally have a problem to share and get advice on. My furnace will not start. No fan, no ignition and no flame. The furnace on my model is located under the Washer/dryer. So I cant see the furnace without pulling the W/D unit. There are two small inspection plates in the roof of the right rear (next to batteries) storage bin. Nothing can be seen but a propane connection to the furnace. In taking the thermostat off the wall I find a telephone type plug going to, I dont know where, in the wall. Logic tells me that because the thermostat controlls both a/c units and the furnace with that one telephone cord that there must be a relay or switching box somewhere. Does anybody know where??
Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM   #3

Stretch,

What year is your coach? I am assuming you are talking a propane furnace. We had similar problems with our 03 and our 04 furnace. One issue was the fuse for the funace and hot water heater was the same fuse and not big enough for both so we had to put furnace on separate fuse. Sometimes after we got the fuse replaced we would have to hit the reset botton out on the furnace to get it going.

Second problem was a sticking switch (we can't remember the exact name for the swith) on the furnace itself. This prevented the fan or anything coming on. This is a little floating swith on the furnace that you access from the outside panel. It was about $10 part.
dkgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 01:13 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Don (er) DK. Thanks for responding. To answer your quesions. I have an 03fdts. The furnace is located directly under the Washer/dryer. This location makes the furnace very quiet.
all other possible reasons for installing it there are insane!! I cannot get the the furnace without removing the W/D. So cannot get to the reset button or the sail switch ( I think that was what you were refering to) I checked all of the 12 volt fuses and all OK. I just keep thinking there must be an intermediate junction between the Comfort zone thermostat and the furnace. What du you think?
Old 08-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #5

Well it looks like I have solved my own problem. Turns out that the furnace is controlled by the front A/C unit. Sounds crazy but it is. The furnace is on zone 1 of the comfort control center (thermostat). same as the zone 1 A/c unit, (the front a/c unit). Also if you ever have this particular problem, the first thing to do is do the "reset operation" for the thermostat as directed by the dometic people. You call them and they will fax detailed instructions on how to do the reset. Typical computer it has to be rebooted sometimes. That was my problem...
Old 08-17-2005, 02:39 PM   #6

Well now the plot thickens with the furnace problem. The fron a/c has allways acted strange. Some it short cycles, sometimes it has a 5 minute delay start. Now I find that the fan will run but no compressor. So my furnace wont start and the front a/c's compressor wont run. Since the furnace is controlled by the front a/c, I'm beginning to think that the control unit on the front a/c is bad. Does anybody have any ideas along these lines?
Old 08-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #7

Wel, I really did not get much help, with the exception of dkgreen. However.........I have fixed the problem, with help from suburban Furnace Company. I finally found that a electronic circuit board within the furnace called a blower circuit had failed. I replaced it and the furnace works. Next I tried the front A/C and sudenly the compressor was working and then cold air.
Turns out there is a component called a "power module" located in the area of the front a/c that controls both the furnace and the front a/c. It has input from the thermostat, the remote temp probe,the furnace and the front a/c unit. Seems that when the furnace fan controll board failed it somehow effected the a/c compressor. How, exactly, I don't know.

All is well now.
Stretch