Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OK, I am totally confused here....

on my 03 mid door, the furnace is under the bathroom sink...behind the circuit breaker panel...Isn't it??? as I have never opened that panel, but that is where all the sound comes from, and the furnace exhausts there.

Or am I on crack???

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #16

I suppose the furnace locations are different from model to model and year to year. On the 36' '05 mid-door the furnace is under the refrigerator, as is, of course, the exhaust. The circuit breaker panel in my coach is in the toilet room. I like having 2 doors between the furnace and the bedroom than one, as it might be quieter when you're trying to sleep..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #17

My '04 36' mid-door is the same as Rick's '05. The furnace is under the fridge, easily found. Not easy to get to, but easily found. Maybe that changes if you have the residential refrigerator? Or with the 40' model?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
We have an '02 36 ft mid-door. Furnace underneath the fridge. Looks like you could also access it from the basement underneath as that is where the ducts are that distribute the heat front and aft?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
For those with Hydro Hot system, I believe all of the units are under the shower area, and access is through the drain bay inner door. Now with that said, don't hold me to it at least that is where mine is for the 40MDTS. Sometimes I wish we had the regular propane furnace just because its simpler technology, but the HH will keep the coach warm and it's quiet. I am going to put pipe insulation over all the delivery and return lines to keep the heat in them so the system does not work harder. That should also improve my fuel usage.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #20

MP--in yr 2003 40 MDTS, the furnance "is" under the bathroom sink. To reduce furnance noise, I used a piece of plywood covered with alum bubble-wrap insulation [Home Depot] to create a 3/4-length baffle above the opening in the floor [remove the screws in shelf {in sink cabinet} to gain access]. Tried using a regular pleated filter [12x12] for furnance intake between sink cabinet and shower but was concerned about airflow--besides, it didnt reduce noise.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Coleman View Post
I didn't put a filter at the front grill as I didn't want to cut the airflow any further. I think creating a panel against the sliding door pocket probably did the most good. I also put insulation on the roof of the furnace cavity. I can't think of the name of the product I used at the moment, but it is most used on hot rods, etc for the floors and doors...aluminum foil front with kind of a tar-like thick back, with an adhesive already on the back. Cuts with scissors. I think I bought it from the Eastwood catalog, and they are probably on line. It really absorbs the sound! If you pm me I can send you a handful of photos. Sorry, I don't know how to post photos on the forum.
The insulation product is Dynamat.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Rick,
I had a little of some sound insulation I used on a boat that has foil covered foam with lead sandwiched in the middle. If that doesn't stop some of the noise nothing will. I covered the hole on the sliding door side with that. I will look for the Dynamat stuff for the rest of it.
Thanks again,
Brad
Old 10-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
I decided to try to fix the rattling noise coming from my furnace, a 2001 36MDS. The furnace is located under the frig and accessed by removing the foil tape along the back cap of the furnace and then removing the two screws holding the cap on. Once the cap is removed there are two small wood screws holding the furnace in position that need to come out. After disconnecting the gas and electric, the furnace will slide right out. The noise is coming from the fan blade making contact with the fan housing caused by the loose fitment of the furnace to the coach. This allows the plastic fan housing to move in relation to the exterior vents causing the blade to contact the housing. While I've got the furnace out, I am going to install the baffles and insulation everyone has been writing about. Two one inch wood screws holding a 20 pound furnace in place, what were they thinking?
In the meantime, I installed a 20,000 btu cat. heater which looks real nice, like having a fireplace in your home, but the odor seems to be a bit on the offensive side, anyone else have a problem with the smell or better yet, should these units even give off an odor?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
OK, I'm ready to reinstall the furnace and I take a look at the installation instructions for my Suburban SF-42F furnace and find that the bottom duct kit was supposed to be attached to the coach with at least 10 screws, mine was not attached at all! In addition, the installation instructions say "The minimum open duct areas listed below must be maintained throughout entire duct system" Side ducts 48 sq. in., min of 4 ducts used. Top duct min of 56 sq. in. Bottom duct min 72 sq. in. For a total of 176 sq. in. My couch has one small side duct and one bottom duct with a total of maybe 58 sq in. What gives?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #25

"Two one inch wood screws holding a 20 pound furnace in place, what were they thinking?" Redundancy.

"My couch (furnace?) has one small side duct and one bottom duct with a total of maybe 58 sq in. What gives?" They used an extra screw; what more do you want?

I'm guessing the furnace instructions are set up to allow for a minimum unimpeded air flow thru the head exchanger so that the BTUs produced get scavenged off properly into the supply ducts rather than blown out the exhaust (or perhaps more to the point, don't build up within the furnace to overheat). You might check to see if the plastic fan or other plastic parts have morphed a bit from heat and need replacing.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #26

Check your ducts

Our furnace ran a lot, made a great deal of noise, used lots of propane and didn't warm up our unit very much. When I removed the panel in front of the right rear tires (that's another story) I noticed something (mice, I suspect) had chewed rather large holes in the aluminum air ducts leading back to the bedroom. Those holes could very well be responsible for global warming <smile> Now that the ducts have been replaced the furnace works much better.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #27

On the issue of an odor coming from the Catalytic Heater: First, my recollection is that you initially have to "prepare" the catalytic surface before using it with propane (I assume to burn off the excess cotton?). Then the first time or two that you fire it off there was a slight odor, but that went away. Subsequently, the only time I got any odor was when dust had accumulated on it and then the odor was only present for a short time, much like when you fire off your furnace when it hasn't been used for awhile. Otherwise there shouldn't be any "odor" coming from the heater, just that invisible, odorless, Carbon Monoxide. :-(

johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote