Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Not that I needed a furnace last weekend as it was nearly 90 degrees, but I finally got around to installing a self-designed noise reduction kit to make using the furnace tolerable. What I came up with was cutting pieces of masonite to which I applied Dynamat, a sound absorbing and heat deflecting material. I installed a piece on the side of the cavity against the sliding door (which was wide open!) and a piece (actually two sections) on the side common with the central vac/dining area). I also put pieces on the top of the cavity, which is the underside of the floor the refrigerator sits on.

It is a very difficult area to work as it has very tight confines, and puting the panels in requires a bit of muscle, as there are a lot of things in the way such as wiring and tubes (from the central vac) and ducting (from the furnace).

Well, I was successful! The furnace is now extremely quiet...because it wont start!!! I'm guessing my "muscle" bumped a wire or something...? Perhaps I moved something that caused a short? A fuse???? Any suggestions about where to look to solve this problem? By the way- the furnace did work before I performed my magic.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:35 AM   #2

Not that I needed a furnace last weekend as it was nearly 90 degrees, but I finally got around to installing a self-designed noise reduction kit to make using the furnace tolerable. What I came up with was cutting pieces of masonite to which I applied Dynamat, a sound absorbing and heat deflecting material. I installed a piece on the side of the cavity against the sliding door (which was wide open!) and a piece (actually two sections) on the side common with the central vac/dining area). I also put pieces on the top of the cavity, which is the underside of the floor the refrigerator sits on.

It is a very difficult area to work as it has very tight confines, and puting the panels in requires a bit of muscle, as there are a lot of things in the way such as wiring and tubes (from the central vac) and ducting (from the furnace).

Well, I was successful! The furnace is now extremely quiet...because it wont start!!! I'm guessing my "muscle" bumped a wire or something...? Perhaps I moved something that caused a short? A fuse???? Any suggestions about where to look to solve this problem? By the way- the furnace did work before I performed my magic.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #3

A sequel to the original post: I have checked the furnace fuse in the bathroom panel. It is fine. I have adjusted the thermostat (as suggested by sdcyclist) to make sure that the furnace temp setting is higher than the a/c temp setting (apparently this can inhibit operation of the furnace/ac) and still nothing.
Anyone have ideas?????
Old 03-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #4

Rick,

Other than checking for loose wires every where that you worked under the furnace, I don't have any major ideas.

One idea might be to loosen all the wires that are connected to the furnace and see if one of them might have broken wire or a poor connection, similar to my HWH hyraulic control panel wire issue.

Another idea might be to call Mike Flowerday
at 541-410-5555, if you're still in Indio at Outdoor Resorts. Mike is working this year out of Outdoor Resorts here in Cathedral City, but he goes over to Indio regulary. He is factory certified on those furnaces, and will solve your problem quickly if you can't solve it. He fixed my HWH hydraulic hose issues and one furnace issue I had last year.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:49 AM   #5

Rick, I have not gone through all the mods you made to make your furnace quieter but without any problems with our furnace it stopped working. The board went bad. Replacing it cured the problem. From what you describe that is what it sounds like.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:43 AM   #6

Forester- If I can't get it going this weekend at the Ocean Mesa Rally I will look up Mike Flowerday in Indio when we take the coach back there the following weekend. Hopefully he won't have returned to Oregon yet. Thanks for the suggestions Forester and Ted.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I hope you will report on how affective all your hard work was after you get the furnace fixed.
I'm not sure which is more annoying, the noise or the fact that more heat goes out the exhaust than in the coach.

Brad
Old 03-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #8

Two sailors, when our coach was 35 and the heater made it 72. What noise?????
Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #9

Rick- I can't recall if it was a Suburban, but I took one apart that had a safety switch on the metal panel accessing the burner/heat exchanger area. The switch was poorly mounted, closure panel had one or more stripped screws, so the panel had to be just so for the switch to make contact & allow the furnace to work. You may have moved such a panel while tweaking your system. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM   #10

Thanks Mike- Is it the rectangular panel in the front of the furnace? If not, where? My furnace is the Suburban model WRV has been using.

THanks
Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #11

Well, the fix was a 5 minute job for Mike Flowerday in Indio. He quickly found a loose ground wire on the furnace!

We fired up the furnace (in 85 degree weather!) and I'm guessing the noise level is reduced by at least 50%!!!!! The project is a success! Mike suggested one or two other tweaks to complete the project which he thinks will reduce the noise even further and in fact extend the life of the furnace. I'm going to try and put together a compilation of what I have done so that others of you can attempt the same. Total cost has been about $125, a few bloodied knuckles and a little frustration. I'm not counting the repair bill which was very modest and I think can be avoided by anyone else doing this modification. I'll try and finish this post this week.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #12

Rick, glad you got your heater straightened out and it was something minor. Always is nice when it turns out that way. Would really appreciate just what you have done to reduce the noise. That would be a real plus. The bloodied knuckles and the frustrations are a very private thing and we all feel that should be retained by you.
Thanks
Ted
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #13

Ted- I'll be happy to keep those parts to myself.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #14

Rick,

I'm glad that Mike Flowerday helped you solve the problem. He is really good at getting the problem solved in a hurry and not wasting your time, plus being pleasant to deal with, in my opinion. As you know, I'm a big fan of his when I can't fix it myself and I'm glad that he once again did the job for you.

I thought it might be a loose wire. Seems like loose ground wires are the most common cause of so many electrical problems.

Would like to see what you did to your furnace, perhaps next year when we're back in Palm Springs.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote