Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 AM   #1

FYI-Cruise Control

Last year driving throught DateLand (southwest of Phoenix) in 115 the Cruise Control on the Smart Wheel quit working. It was near the end of the day, so I quit too. The next day the CC was alive and well and has worked fine until the other day.
Driving throught DateLand, 115, guess what? The next day all was well for a couple of hours until the temp reached the magic #, then it quit again.

I'm either going to quit driving through Dateland or quit driving in 115.

Anyone else experienced this anomoly ?

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

Yes. I frequently stop driving when its 115 or greater, and take DW out to dinner someplace w/air conditioning.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #3

Chris,

I have not experienced that anomaly. But as far as I can remember I only took the coach through Dateland once. And rarely though heat quite that hot, often in the 100-110 range, but not too often much over 110. We tend to drive AWAY from that kind of heat! No trips to AZ this time of year. Probably not enough experience in the kind of conditions you are talking about to tell you if that problem is common.

In the past 40 years I have had to have my cars towed twice. Both time on the way home from South Coast Plaza for Christmas shopping. Just in case I don't go shopping there at Christmas time any more.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Chris, the only thing I can add, is this. When it's hot outside, electrical circuits don't work as well, as the heat causes the resistance in a circuit to go up; hence more amps are required to make something work. My gut feeling is that some internal check/safety device is kicking off the cruise, because it's reached that limit, sort of like an auto-reset breaker. I would be worried about how hot the engine and transmission are and also my tires, wow that is hot.

Why would anyone want to drive in that kind of heat, man you should be someplace cool (in the heat even the AC's running on the genset won’t be cool), with your feet up consuming some quantities of adult beverages, or gallons of iced tea (lots of electrolytes which tea will replace since you will be losing huge quantities of body moisture) with minimal clothing and misters going off every 15 seconds or so. And even then it might be too hot to even think, I have not experienced that kind of heat so it's a guess on my part, not the adult beverages part, the heat part.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Yes. I frequently stop driving when its 115 or greater, and take DW out to dinner someplace w/air conditioning.
Count on an ENGINEER to come up with the very very best solution to the problem
Old 09-10-2011, 07:24 PM   #6

Gentlemen: Thank you all for your enlightening responses. The ONLY reason I am driving through Dateland in 115 is that my wife's mother, better known as my MOTHER-IN-LAW lives in Lemon Grove, Calif.
Enough said???

Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Then shouldn't you be in Florida?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #8

What if she moves to Orange County??

Old 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #9

South Dakota for the summer, Tucson for the winter?
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
True story, when Patty and I were first married we had a '72 Pinto. During one cold week in northern Iowa the night temps were hovering around 25 below. We kept hearing a horn honking off and on in the middle of the night. This went on for about two nights. The third night my neighbor showed up at the door at 2:30 in the AM, asking why my car kept honking it's horn off and on all night.
I told him to pull the horn wire since he was up.:-)

Sounds like the opposite problem.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Tom, that is toooooo funny!!

Chris, the hottest we've ever driven through was 112, and we had no problem. That was just last month as we were getting out of Dodge, AKA Las Vegas, for our summer get-away. We were heading to Montana....AAAAAHHHHH!

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote