Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #43

Can anyone give an evaluation after putting miles on these shock? Are they holding up? Do they still seem like a marked improvement over the 88 series?

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Can anyone give an evaluation after putting miles on these shock? Are they holding up? Do they still seem like a marked improvement over the 88 series?
We have about 7,000 miles on our Koni series 99's (front) and Koni 88's rear.

Very good handling and still nice ride. Would do it again. Especially like the large/oversize of the 99's, as they should live a much longer life than a smaller shock asked to do the same dampening duty.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #45

I have only put about 3000 miles on mine since the upgrade. They are doing great so far and really like the ride and better control of RV.

2005 Alpine 40 FDQS
Thanks
Ralph
Old 09-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #46

Only have a 1000 miles on since going to the Koni 99s--really cant say that new 99s are any better that new 88s would be--but with only three years and 30k mikes on the last set of 88s, the driver's side had lost dampening in one direction. Last set of 88s was the second or third set I have replaced under the Koni lifetime warranty. Probably could have continued with replacing shocks under their warranty [shipping costs only] every three years but wanted to see if 99s were better.......No real difference in short run, guess time will tell in the longer run.....
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #47

Koop, was just about to message you on your website regarding the Konis you installed last year, then I saw your recent post here. My coach is going into the shop soon to replace the brake calipers and was planning on replacing the shocks while the wheels are off -- still has the original Bilsteins. Would you share your Koni experience thus far? Thanks!
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Koop, was just about to message you on your website regarding the Konis you installed last year, then I saw your recent post here. My coach is going into the shop soon to replace the brake calipers and was planning on replacing the shocks while the wheels are off -- still has the original Bilsteins. Would you share your Koni experience thus far? Thanks!
I can't give a fair comparison since my original Bilsteins were worn out and one was leaking before I had the 88 series Konis installed. Of course the ride and handling was much improved after the installation of the Koni shocks.

We covered 10,000 miles since then and have encountered many rough road surfaces. It seems to me the front shocks have lost some of the rebound control. Lately we've been traveling in hot weather over rough surfaces - parts of I-40 for example. I think the shocks are heating up and I get a little porpoising. It's still far better than the old Bilsteins, but I'm thinking about putting the new 99 series shocks on front.

BTW - it might be easier to replace the shocks with the wheels off, but it isn't necessary.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #49

I installed the 99's on the front in January, but did not replace the rears. I have put 5,000 miles on and the front end still feels great. I had about 60,000 on the old ones (still on the rear). It was a very noticeable improvement with regards to porpoising. I should get around to replacing the rears. None of my 88s show signs of leakage, by the way.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
I installed the 99's on the front in January, but did not replace the rears. I have put 5,000 miles on and the front end still feels great. I had about 60,000 on the old ones (still on the rear). It was a very noticeable improvement with regards to porpoising. I should get around to replacing the rears. None of my 88s show signs of leakage, by the way.
Thanks for the update - I think I'll upgrade to the 99 series soon. I don't have any leakage, just seat-of-the-pants feeling that the fronts aren't as good as they were. The big piston 99 series makes sense to me.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Thanks for the update - I think I'll upgrade to the 99 series soon. I don't have any leakage, just seat-of-the-pants feeling that the fronts aren't as good as they were. The big piston 99 series makes sense to me.
After leaving Amarillo and driving to Santa Fe, New Mexico, I may have been a little too critical on the Koni 8805s. I-40 from east of Memphis all the way to Amarillo has sections of road that are so bad I don't think it matters which shocks you are running - you're going to get pounded and bounce around.

West of Amarillo I-40 is a much better road. I didn't have excessive rebound or porpoising. I'll wait a while before I replace the fronts with the 99s.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 AM   #52

I know there always is a lot of posts on shocks. I still don't know if there is one size fits all Alpines from 34 to the 40" Apex. I did talk to Justin McCoy and he did send info on the new 99s, but he couldn't really tell me how well they would work on a Apex. To me it seems like an Apex should have a heavier shock than a 34'

After only 15000 miles he 1021 front and rear shocks were shot completely. I am not interested changing them out under warranty. The 99 could have worked better for me, but there is no guaranty that they would. When you look at $249 for the 99 against $375 for the Road Kings, I decided to the go for the Road Kings. I have had Alpine coaches for over 15 years and the Road Kings have by far and away the best ride. Hopefully they last longer!
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #53

Koni 99 Follow Up

First Koni 99 installation. See Original Post. I now have put 7,491 miles on the 99 series and still find them better then the 88's that I had on for 4,836 miles. Only in very extreme condition do I get a short rebound or bounce. I am happy with them so far. These are on a 2006 Alpine 38FD.

Duane

Tags
koni