Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
I concur a late model Gov't Motors (GM) cap worked. I lost ours at a FJ too!!
Sounds to me that before you buy a new one you should check the lost and found at your local FJ. They must have a box full of fuel caps!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #16

I modified my cap similar to EngineerMike. I used an electrical ring terminal, crimped it to a short length of stranded wire, drilled a hole in the center of the cap for a screw to attach the ring terminal to the cap and then attached the other end of the wire to some convenient location near the filler. When I fuel up, I remove the cap and let it hang by the wire.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Dan R. has most of the numbers correct. I have a spare and it is AC Delco and the box shows:

7504310 1 #GT195
1 #22591476
GR.3.028
Cap ASM-F

I received mine from WRV so some of the numbers may have been their stock number.
John Neff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #18

Just ask for AC Delco GT195. Even Amazon sells them.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=tillbuilt;546297]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I guess being a "Senior member" doesn't mean you are not an idiot.

I thought everyone would clearly understand that by posting in the Alpine Forum and having my coach year and model in the signature. They would figure out I was looking for a gas cap on my lawn mower.
I think you need to re-read if you are refering to me.

I was very clear on how I did it and that the information applied to MY motor home not yours.

The suggestion was not that you get the same cap I did

But that you use the same method I did

That is, Ask the manufacturer what standard line fits it

NOT for a part number.. but what standard cap fits

In my case the manufacturer's rep did not give me a part number.. He gave me a make and model of truck that uses the same cap.. Perhaps they can do that for you too.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Wa8yxm:

I think John was referring to the commonly known facts (to members of this forum) that all Alpines are made by WRV and all their chassis are made by WRV and WRV is out of business and therefore unavailable for comment. That being the basis for his questions, Alpine Forum members all understand/assume that the cap in question is on an Alpine coach and that the information on it's replacement is not forthcoming from the manufacturer.

Though he/we may appreciate your input, the fact you are not aware of the pertinent information (and maybe ought to be before commenting on a brand-specific forum) means your comments are/were not applicable. The phrasing you chose and condescending context likely elicited his less than friendly response.

That being said, your response would be correct in many situations, superior tone of response, not withstanding.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While that may be true.. It may still be that a standard Pick Up truck cap will fit it... Alas, As I said, I don't know which one. Perhaps another forum member will.

One "Myth" is that the bigger vehicle needs a special cap.. Epically today this is usually not so.. (There may be exceptions) the cap needs to match the collar.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
All, when fueling up, I place the cap on the top of my washer reservoir, and then I see it when I am finished.

However, having it hang there would be handy and so I will read over the solutions on how to make that happen so I really would not lose it.

One quick thought I had would be to drill a hole through the top ridge, and then attach a key ring holder, crimping on a length of stainless wire, and a ring terminal crimped on the other end. Then screw that ring terminal to one of the screws used to hold the fuel assembly to the fiberglass should work. This idea is similiar to EM comment above. But I don't want to fight that wire every time, so I need to give this extra thought before I go drilling where I ought not to.

Now where to find the stainless wire to use.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #23

Monty- You could try this method:
1) chew gum while driving
2) stop for fuel, smash gum on DS mirror (facing the driver)
3) remove cap
4) smash cap into gum
Now it will be a vivid reminder if you don't place it back on fill tube.

But if you like the stainless wire trick or have an aversion to gum: Last wire I got from Harbor Freight Tools but motorcycle shops usually have it also as "safety wire" to keep stuff from rattling loose. The heavy gauge can be used for a hose clamp (takes a little practice), and any of it can be twisted into a heavier tie wire w/multiple strands. Much better than bailing wire as it doesn't rust. Almost as useful as JB-Weld overall, and better for many applications.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you EM, if anyone knows stuff it's you or Dale. I hope someday we all are in the same location at once so I can associate a name and a face. I won't make the rally's in the southwest as we may head out east and go to HWH for some repairs. I won't know until I have a return call from them. Hopefully soon.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Monty, I'm ahead of you on this one! I'm here in Chula Vista at the pre-rally and BOTH EMike and Dale are here, too!!

I, too, wanted to put a face to the names and I've done it! They are not as 'good looking' as I am but they do know their Alpines and are very capable of explaining and sharing with others. The experience is worth the trip and I wish you were here.

In the meantime, I'll try to get all of my information so that I can stand aside when you arrive at a rally or get together.

Hope your trip is O.K. and that HWH will take care of your issues.

Now for some sleep before the BIG airshow.
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
VM, EM and Dale, have a great time at the pre-rally. We have not left for points south and east yet, still have some business and medical stuff to get out of the way. Short trip to Coach Care tomorrow through Friday for the HWH stuff, and brake fluid flush and I printed out all the pages on the break line issues for them to read and digest. My goal was to have them look at the line supports across the diff and decide to change the length a little closer to the support brackets. Ensure nothing is rubbing, and as mentioned flush the system. Printed out the manual on that so they could have it at hand when they do the work so if questions arise, it will answer them. Will also ask them about code 27, but my feeling nothing will come of it. Have a great time, and we will meet one another in the future. If we don't go to Alaska next year, I want to be at the Redmond, OR rally. Have fun.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Voiceman, you live in one of our favorite places to camp. We are TT members, and love Morgan Hill. We might be there later next month. For sure in Vegas, and after that don't have a firm plan.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Monty and Janet, let us know when you're going to TT and we'll come and visit. It is only about five miles from our home.

We visited there several years ago to look at an '03 36' Alpine. The campground is a quiet and cool ( most of the time ) spot.
Voiceman is offline   Reply With Quote