Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #1

On left side of our coach the first 3 bay doors are the same size. The 1st, the propane compartment, only opens to 90 degrees. The next 2 doors probably only opened the same due to the slide. However, the previous owner replaced the 2 gas springs on each of these doors with 1 slightly larger spring, allowing these doors to open fully (170 degrees?). These replacement springs have numbers that are not recognizable by the vendors (SPD) I have tried. Question: have any of you owners replaced the 90 degree springs I mentioned? If so, what are the part numbers and where did you get them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #2

On left side of our coach the first 3 bay doors are the same size. The 1st, the propane compartment, only opens to 90 degrees. The next 2 doors probably only opened the same due to the slide. However, the previous owner replaced the 2 gas springs on each of these doors with 1 slightly larger spring, allowing these doors to open fully (170 degrees?). These replacement springs have numbers that are not recognizable by the vendors (SPD) I have tried. Question: have any of you owners replaced the 90 degree springs I mentioned? If so, what are the part numbers and where did you get them?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My underslide propane door also only went up to 90 degrees. My solution was to move the lower attachment (on the frame, not on the door) up one hole. That is, I took out both screws, moved the bracket bottom hole to the frames top hole and then drilled a third hole in the frame for the top screw. Filled in the original bottom hole. Worked for me. OBTW, I also put a small plastic bumper on the door where it will hit the slide if both come together. As luck will have it, the new angle exactly matches all the other doors on that side. Total cost 0$, time spent searching for new gas struts, two weeks, time to completion, 20minutes. Good luck
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
A 'Shortcut' to this thread was added to the regular forums for additional exposure per a request of gary85.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Just take one of the old struts to a auto parts store and they will match it up for you.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:35 AM   #6

I am missing 2 springs on my coach. The first is one of the two that holds the propane door and I believe that is SPD-GS-5250-60 to match the other side. However the other missing one is the long side of the door to the engine oil dipstick, fuel filter etc. I still have the short spring that is on the left of the door so can anyone tell me the part number for the one on the right hand side?
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:21 AM   #7

John - Yes, both gas springs are the same for the propane bay...your number is correct. The long spring for the maintenance bay is SPD-GS-6711.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:20 PM   #8

Thanks Steve. I thought it might be that as that is the same as the other bay doors. Only problem is that SPD no longer lists the 6711. I know all the other GS units are now GSNI, like the 5250, but the 6711 has disappeared. I guess I will need to call them after the holiday.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #9

Gary, Napa has a listing of struts by length and by pressure. I am sure they can fix you up. Rick
Old 01-08-2008, 07:20 PM   #10

Hi Gary,

Camping World has a decent selection of gas struts at a decent price. I think the reason your bay doors are opening too far is that the person who put new struts on bought longer ones than original. A gas strut is designed to be fully opened or fully closed. Due to temperature and vehicle angle changes, it would be impossible to engineer a system to balance the door at only 90 degrees at half strut extension. Weak struts just usually fail to quickly (if at all)pop open doors and keep the things from knocking us on our noggins. A 2" difference in strut length can create a vast difference in degree of opening. Putting in a higher lb. rating can cause the door to open quickly with lots of up force. It can also need lots of muscle to close it, not to mention ripping of mounting points depending on how they are mounted on the coach. There are online stores as well; prices vary widely (+100 to 200%) at some places for the exact same part. Suspa makes most of them anyway. They should be about $14 to $20 each, depending on the length and operating pressure.

Good luck,
Spare
Old 01-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #11

Just go on line for Napa and check out the gas loaded springs that are offered or as noted above just go to an automotive parts store and they can match it for you.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:23 AM   #12

"SPDhardware.com" looks like a pretty user-friendly site with a shopping cart and retail purchase feature. Since they dont carry the old 6711 series springs anymore, you/we will probably have to make a phone call to get the old specs off the 6711s to ensure compatibility (ie, total length, size of end connectors Vs mounting studs, and lift capacity [#lbs]. Looks like $25 per plus shipping--NAPA is often pricy but with shipping it might be a wash.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:10 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartire, They do make struts that stop at90 degrees and then can be opened beyond that. The 5 bay doors under the slides all stop halfway, but can be opened wider if the slides are closed.

Glenn
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #14

Well Glenn,

Old guys can still learn new things everyday (now, if I can just remember them tomorrow)! How do those struts work? Do they have a built-in stop in the strut itself or does the door have a friction stop? Something else I'm not considering?

Thanks for the info,
Sparetire