Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
GE Profile oven fried??

Tonight I made dinner, baking an item at 450 for about 20 min. I noticed the fan didn't run as much as usual afterward. Then later during kitchen cleanup, I noticed that when I wiped the door exterior with a damp cloth, there was "steam" coming off the door. I still didn't think much of it. But now, I just went to use it to heat some tea and found no lights, nothing works. Checked the outlet...it works.

Did we fry the oven? Has anyone replaced theirs? with the same oven or ???

Is this a hard DIY job?

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLori View Post
Tonight I made dinner, baking an item at 450 for about 20 min. I noticed the fan didn't run as much as usual afterward. Then later during kitchen cleanup, I noticed that when I wiped the door exterior with a damp cloth, there was "steam" coming off the door. I still didn't think much of it. But now, I just went to use it to heat some tea and found no lights, nothing works. Checked the outlet...it works.

Did we fry the oven? Has anyone replaced theirs? with the same oven or ???

Is this a hard DIY job?

TIA
Don't know about your specific oven but my GE profile oven in my brick and mortar house recently went "dead" during the middle of a high heat, self cleaning cycle. Totally dead. Repairman came out and replaced a very simple in-line fuse that was behind the panel. He said that this was very common and caused by the high heat. Oddly, he said that if the oven gets above 550 for extended periods, the fuse will go out but that the cleaning cycle was much hotter than that. His advice: don't use the cleaning cycle. Don't you love a manufacturer that designs a product with a feature that can't be effectively used as intended because they also throw in a fuse that will fail if you use the feature?

I watched him do the repair (all 10 mins) and it was simple. I am confident I could do this any time in the future HOWEVER, getting the correct replacement fuse would be the real problem. I have checked online sites and parts manuals and could not locate a source (I wanted to have a spare on hand). So, if your GE Profile incorporates the same technology, I am guessing it is a simple, user replaceable fuse -- but good like finding a source. I kept my burnt out fuse as an example. I may go to an appliance store that sells GE and see if they can "match" it.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #3

John, replacing the unit is easy. Remove the top plastic vent (mine was held up with Velcro). After it is off you will see a couple of screws going up into the ceiling. Remove them and the oven will pivot down from the wall. It take a bit of muscle to lift it off the wall plate.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #4

John- if its the fuse, I found them available online. I have the Advantium, but expect all GE models use the same setup for wiring and have the fuse. Now if I can only remember where I packed the fuse when I finally need it...
Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dave and Wayne and Mike.

It turns out there are actually two fuses inside the microwave--and both checked out ok. I guess it must be the thermal cutout, but then what caused that to go? I think it might be like Dave's oven, as Lori was baking at the time, and several other on-line comments I have read mentioned over-heating problems during "normal" operation.

But it's now officially beyond my abilities (I really can't reach it), so we'll call an appliance repair man at our next stop, Palm Springs.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Well, the problem turned out to be the "cavity overload" protector, according to the repairman. It is actually a thermostat which is located in the ducting to protect against an over-heated microwave interior. That is what I suspected in my last post.

Lori would have me testify that she did not burn anything, but apparently cooking my tater tots at 450 degrees makes the "cavity" too hot.

Never-the-less, it's a simple replacement of a $41 part ($18 part on-line), with no oven removal necessary.