Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone considered moving the fuel fill up (2002 38FDDS)? I have several times been stumped with an inoperable slide, only to get it to work again after playing with the extend or retract switch or played with the HWH solenoid. I am terrorized to think I can't fill up because the generator slide does not work. I can't imagine pulling up to a truck stop needing fuel and not having the generator slide work. With my back being as it is I don't think crawling under the coach to manually extend or retract the slide (most likely on a cold and rainy day) is something I'm up to. I was thinking maybe relocating the fill-up on the side of the coach, not pretty but more functional then behind a temperamental slide mechanism.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone considered moving the fuel fill up (2002 38FDDS)? I have several times been stumped with an inoperable slide, only to get it to work again after playing with the extend or retract switch or played with the HWH solenoid. I am terrorized to think I can't fill up because the generator slide does not work. I can't imagine pulling up to a truck stop needing fuel and not having the generator slide work. With my back being as it is I don't think crawling under the coach to manually extend or retract the slide (most likely on a cold and rainy day) is something I'm up to. I was thinking maybe relocating the fill-up on the side of the coach, not pretty but more functional then behind a temperamental slide mechanism.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I took a look at the fuel fill hose and it looks like it can be moved to the driver side panel.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #4

Personally, I think I would spend my efforts on trouble shooting the generator slide. Mine has never acted up even once yet, so they can be reliable. Just my two cents worth. I like my fuel filler being safely behind the closed slide.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, I like my fill behind the slide area as the factory intended. Out of sight out of mind, and even though fuel is coming down in price, people stealing it are still doing that. I work to hard to fill up someone else's rig because they are too lazy to work. Thank you so much!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I also like the fill cap behind the slide, but I have reservations with the slide working 100% of the time. I had my generator slide worked on two times at Coachcare. One time it was under HWH warrantee, the other was my bill. Now I am experiencing intermittent problems with the GenSlide, I think it's with the extend/retract switch this time, but not sure. If I play with the switches and/or the HWH solenoid I can get it to work this time. It's the next time I'm worried about. At this point I think I like the idea of a locked gas cap on the side of the coach.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've also had worries about the fuel fill and the gen slide not working. Most of the time, the gen slides out with no problem. I've had more problems with getting it to slide back in until it locks in place. Just before WRV closed, I managed to get a new switch for the slide from one of the techs. I was feeling pretty good after replacing the old switch, until I stopped for fuel the first time. The slide opened, but stopped on the way back in. I've found that to be sure everything goes ok, it's a two person operation. One person operating the switch and one person pulling or pushing the front cap on the slide. There's got to be a better way, but I haven't discovered it yet. That locking gas cap on the side of the coach is starting to sound pretty reliable to me.

2008 Chevy HHR
accidental_tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by accidental_tourist:
I've also had worries about the fuel fill and the gen slide not working. Most of the time, the gen slides out with no problem. I've had more problems with getting it to slide back in until it locks in place. Just before WRV closed, I managed to get a new switch for the slide from one of the techs. I was feeling pretty good after replacing the old switch, until I stopped for fuel the first time. The slide opened, but stopped on the way back in. I've found that to be sure everything goes ok, it's a two person operation. One person operating the switch and one person pulling or pushing the front cap on the slide. There's got to be a better way, but I haven't discovered it yet. That locking gas cap on the side of the coach is starting to sound pretty reliable to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were you successful as a two-person Gen-Slide operation? Does pulling the cap when operating the extend switch work? Where do you grab to pull the Gen-Slide cap if you are attempting to extend the slide? I have not tried that, but sure will if I get stuck again. I actually got under the coach and investigated the designed emergency method of extending or retracting the Gen-Slide. Emergency retract uses a hook/cable/winch crank similar to a room slide emergency retract. Extending the Gen-Slide is a different story, you need to use a big wrench (I think 1Ē open end) to screw the slide out. Fortunately you only need to move the Gen-Slide a few inches to get access to the fuel fill. In each case the hydraulic solenoid needs to be released to reduce hydraulic back pressure. This gets to be a very messy operation while at a fuel station (especially at a truck stop rather then Flying-J) and other drivers are stacked behind you. The locking fuel-cap on the side of the coach looks very good to me. Has anyone investigated that option? If I could find a fuel door that locks I think I can move the fuel-cap and filler hose up on the sidewall on the driver side. It needs to be high to allow free flow of fuel down the existing fuel fill hose. (í02 38FDDS)
Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
As long as the motor or pump starts to work, the two person operation was successful. When extending the slide, I get a grip on either side, where the cap bends around to meet the side of the coach. Then I just pull. I have to say that the slide almost always works when being extended.

It's when I try to retract the slide, that I have problems. The slide might move in a little bit, most of the way, or something in between and then it just stops. That's when one of us operates the switch and the other pushes on the nose cap right in the center, until it clicks shut. It's almost as if the motor (or pump) doesn't have what it takes to retract the slide. Come spring time, I'm going to lube the slide mechanism and rollers and see if that improves the situation. If not, I suppose a trip to the mechanic will be in order.

2008 Chevy HHR
accidental_tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #10

My 04 is doing the same thing. I disconnected the factory siring at the motor and ran straight wires from the front bus turminals behind the gen slide. The motor ran with more power and no hesitation comming back in. Reconnected factory wiring and problem is back. Working with Mark Harrah on this and trying to figure out factory wiring problem. I still need help also.
Richard and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Do you have a hydraulic gen-slide or an electric slide? Not sure of the model or year of your coach, but I think in later model years the slide was made electric. I wonder if that engineering change was a result of problems with the hydraulic gen-slide. I have an í02 38FDDS and again this year, after thinking I resolved the problem, when I stopped to fill-up at Flying-J the slide refused to open. I managed to get the slide forward just enough to squeeze the filler hose in and fill up. I drove to FL from WV with the slide out about 6 inches. A lot of wind noise and funny looks but at least I didnít have to climb under the coach again to fill-up. I have about six months to again research what is wrong with my HWH hydraulic gen-slide. I wonder if I can convert it to an electric slide. Iím still looking at moving the filler cap outside the gen-slide; perhaps just below the driver where there is a void that can accept the existing filler cap and hose to the fuel tank.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:02 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
We have the electric version in our '05 38' FDTS. I had the generator slide problem and it was a loose wire in the dash drawer. It seems WRV cut some of the wires too short, which after opening the cabinet over the drivers seat shocked me, there is enough extra wire in there to wire a small house! The generator slide switch wire was too short and had pulled off the switch.

DrDaveMA is online now   Reply With Quote