Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #1

I had this posted with another subject and I don't think it got much attention. On a trip that we took to S Carolina over Thanksgiving I found I could not get my generator to run when the engine was running. All through the summer this was not an issue. It will start and run for about 45 seconds and then shut down. As soon as I turn the engine off the generator will run. As mentioned all through the summer there was no problem as I was runnuing one or both roof airs while driving.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM   #2

I had this posted with another subject and I don't think it got much attention. On a trip that we took to S Carolina over Thanksgiving I found I could not get my generator to run when the engine was running. All through the summer this was not an issue. It will start and run for about 45 seconds and then shut down. As soon as I turn the engine off the generator will run. As mentioned all through the summer there was no problem as I was runnuing one or both roof airs while driving.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34FDDS
Old 12-04-2005, 06:39 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Posted December 04, 2005 02:23 PM
Ted III:
I found that the way to run my generator as well as my engine was to turn off the charger on the generator panel. Could be to much electric from the both the alternator and charger?

CHRIS & DEBI CROSS
40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris's response from "Front End Shield"

I had the same problem on long days of driving the coach, but I got a fault light that indicated over charge. Turned off the gen charge and all was OK too!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:42 AM   #4

Ted, Tom & Chris:
Interesting Post. I also have the same problem with the "FAULT" overcharge condition when running both the main engine and genset with the charger on. So far my sollution is to simply turn off the battery charger when driving while running the generator.

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this problem but not till I find someone a lot smarter then I am. Sorry I'm not the only one(but glad to know) with this condition.

Fred

2000 36' FDS Alpine Limited
Kori & Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 AM   #5

Ted, with the 05 I would suspect the pesky solenoid is not functioning properly. If stuck on it would provide charging from the alternator and the generator.

Have you tried starting the generator prior to starting the engine just as an experiment? It may be stalling just because it is cold when it gets a load after the start up delay.

I never had the issue on my 2000 Alpine either, so am not sure what the issue is. The battery isolator maybe bad or the emergency start solenoid could be stuck on. Just guessing.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:15 AM   #6

The engine and the generator "should" run at the same time without a problem. I have done it a few times while going down the road in order to run the roof air.
2005 40FDTS/#75220
2006 GMC Envoy toad
htg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #7

Wayne Routhier, by the solenoid are you referencing the one that controls the charging of the batteries? I did replace this with the super duper one that WRV sent me and the batteries have been okay, I think. Strange that you mention this though as my inverter is not working and quite frankly never has. I got messing around in that silly box up there with the inverter readings. It truly looks like one of those games the kids used to play where you ate up things when that X jumps around. Have no clue what I am doing, but I did notice that it indicated that the batteries had only 10 volts (which is not true as I checked them) but in the inverters eyes it is not enough voltage to function. Next question is why doesn't the generator start on auto start up since the reading is only 10 volts?
I used to have motorhomes in the early 80's when wire A went to B. If it didn't you just connected them and everything was wonderful.

Ted Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34'FDDS
Old 12-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #8

I also had this posted with the Front End Shield sugject.

I had a similar problem with my generator on our 2005 38FDTS this summer. The shut down resulted in a code 27. The Cummins shop in Amarillo, TX tried replacing the controller with no success and then replaced the stator. I still had problems keeping the generator running on the road to run the roof airconditioners. Another Cummins shop tried replacing the fuel filter with no results. This problem has improved much recently and I have no explanation for this. If it does shut down I try to hold the start switch in the OFF position for about 30 seconds to prime it. This seems to help also.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Ted,

I suspect your inverter/charger. Since it's (nearly) new, first guess would be that it was hooked up incorrectly at the factory. Make sure all wire polarities are correct and all connections tight -- that 10 volts implies a loose connection somewhere.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #10

I have posted in another section: that we have had seemingly unrelated series of charger/inverter issues. Our "05" has the Xantrex 2000 sinewave unit with 8 golf cart batteries. I understand WRV has several different battery cofigurations even in the same model year. At factory they were unable to duplicate our problems. But when Xantrex was contacted they suggested an agent in Redmond, OR (they have several individuals nationwide)That came to us with computer diagnostic equipment. He said our inverter software was not set right for the batteries we had installed ???? I can only surmise each set of batteries have special needs; after he reprogramed the inverter the system seems to be working as advertised.
skyguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #11

Ted- In Auto Gen Start class a coupla months ago (chassis batteries down to ~3.2V), I learned that AGS triggers off house batt voltage (I was showing house @ 11.8 @ night, 12.8 or so days w/the solar & key left in Aux position; this from memory so don't bank on it totaly). I put my hand up w/the question, why didn't the AGS automatically start the gen? Answer: AGS starts based on House batt voltage*; WRV sets the trigger voltage @ 11.5.
Soooo, if your chassis batts die B4 house goes down to 11.5, the gen will never start cuz it starts off the chassis, not house, batts. Gen won't start below 10.5 or 11V on the chassis batt's, but I don't know if that is a functional limit of the gen, or a trigger (awe, why bother trying to start if there isn't enough juice anyway?) set in the inverter software. If the latter, that's why the gen won't start.
I agree w/Fred that good volts @ batt but not @ inverter reading is probably a simple connection being loose, dirty, etc.

*AGS triggering off house batt's is a function of the residential fridge. W/that appliance (that I don't have, but all units are programmed alike; don't ask me why) there is substantial probablility that house batt's will run down first under practically all circumstances. W/out the res-fridge (and especially if you get the big solar), the reverse is true, so it would seem to me the program should trigger off chassis batt's; this is especially true w/the solenoid trigger for chassis batt charging (solenoid receives its instruction to charge chassis only after the house gets up to a respectable voltage, so if there is a chassis draw & challenges keeping the house topped off, you are screwed by the AGS program conspiring w/the solenoid program (conspiracy theory )).
Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #12

Emike, My gen starts from the house batteries, I have it set to start the gen when volts drop to 11.3 for 15 minutes. I know this because prior to getting all the bugs worked out of my non functioning AGS system. I had the inverter shut down due to low volts. The Gen would not start. So I started the engine (safety precaution) and then used the emergency start switch to start the gen. 2006's may be wired different than mid 05's.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:41 PM   #13

Interesting departure from what I learned in class. I'll have to take another quiz to make sure the info I received was correct as to starting source for the gen. Leslie (now gone from WRV) was my tutor, though I think she was getting her info from someone on the "inside." I haven't questioned authority & follwed the actual wiring to ascertain the source.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 PM   #14

To all of you. When you get it all figured out let me know, but please in laymen language. Kidding aside thanks for all the info. We did discuss some of this before about the solenoid and the batteries. As I recall the house batteries received the charge first, when they were up to whatever is the proper voltage the solenoid kicked over to allow the chassis batteries to get charged. If in fact that is truly correct I personally think it should be the other way around. I want to get my coach started so I can move and get somewhere so I can straighten out the rest.
Ted uLmer
2005 Alpine 34'FDDS