Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Went to NAPA, for something else and remembered this issue. I checked and the general exhaust bracket kit they sell might have the correct parts for the HH and the Genset. I won't know until I get back up to it and take some pictures of both of them and then head to the parts store. I will advise if it works, but the material looks similiar to the stuff WRV used. The older parts seem to me had old tire pieces trimed to fit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #16

While changing the generator oil, I noticed the flexible rubber part of the brackett was rotted. I went to Kragen and bought a $2.99 exhaust hanger kit, just to get the piece of heavy duty rubber (thicker than the original). I drilled out the old rivets, mounted the new piece to the old hardware, with bolts, and it is exactly the same size as the old setup. Looks to be more robust than the original.

By the way, my main support arm is not frame mounted, but mounted to the generator itself, so the rubber support brackett moves/vibrates with the exhaust pipe. This allows the generator to move in and out with the front cap. I don't see why one needs a flexible/rubber support at all. Since they all move together, seems a rigid support would work fine.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:40 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Generator Exhaust Hanger Replacement

All:

I replaced the generator exhaust hanger just in time:

Click image for larger version

Name:	091012-143401.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1588

It finally broke loose when I was figuring out how to remove it. I found a universal exhaust hanger kit at Pep Boys for $4.99:

Name:	091012-142718.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1589

I did not use the metal bracket that was included, though the swivel action would make it useful if your installation looks a little different:

Name:	2009-10-12 14.32.52.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1590

Viola! 7 minutes:

Name:	091012-144841.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1591

Tools needed:

Adjustable wrench
Drill and 3/8" bit (to remove old rivet)

I did add a lock washer below the nut. It was not included in the kit.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Today I fixed both of the exhaust brackets, the one for the hydro hot and the genset. I purchased the generic one from Schuck's Auto Parts, and I guess each one took about 15 minutes. I kept the better of the two bad ones, in the off chance one of the new ones does not hold for some reason. It cost about 12 dollars for both kits. For some reason, I feel good when I know I have done something for the little beasty.

And my uneducated guess is the heat from the pipe was transmitted through the metal and affected the rubber material in some way. The one I purchased had a longer piece of metal attached to the metal cross piece which lies over the pipe. I had to use the old bottom cross piece, as the part supplied would not have worked because the pipe's diameter was only about one inch. I did not take pictures but should have thought of that so all could see. Then I would have had to figure out how to post them here as well.

TP - I believe you will have a heating problem with the assembly of the rubber hanger right over the pipe. If you look at the old one, the pipe connected to a metal clamp assembly, which allows the heat generated by the exhaust to be dissipated, so the rubber material does not burn. I think you should rework your install as I believe you will have it burn through the first or second time you use the genset for a long time. JMTCW.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
All, found these on ebay. Heavy Duty exhaust muffler hanger 9" Set of 5:eBay Motors (item 370204883276 end time Oct-18-09 11:23:12 PDT)

If you get them, then you will need a 1 1/2" exhaust clamp which would go all the way around the pipe and in the groove of the hanger above. Might see if someone wants to split it with you, since you only need two.