Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #15
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
[QUOTE=Christopher Cratch;933463]WRV set our generator not to start if your fuel level drops below 1/4 tank, however mine is at 1/2 fuel level. .............QUOTE]

So is mine. Must be an Apex quirk.

Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #16
Alpine Owners Club
Actually, that is an Onan requirement for 1/4 fuel. On your tank in the front are several fuel outlets which have lines running from them. One is for 3/8 of a tank and the Hydro Hot if equppped should be hooked to that one, there is a 1/4 tank, and the genset should be hooked to that one. Did not know about the 1/2 tank one, so my guess is the hh and genset are hooked up backwards, and the fule guage is an estimate in my coach, just switch them around if this is a big deal for you. It's tight back in that compartment, so have a freind to hand you tools, and stuff if you do it yourself. While there, make sure the genset leads are tight in the junction box.

But based on your comments above, you have air getting into the line, even maybe all the time, they can do a fuel pressure test, next time I would ask them too, this would help pinpoint the problem, and they could swap the fuel line to the correct outlet as well.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
National RV Owners Club
For you onan help. Be sure to have your model # ans serial number
Also other model.

Onan Generators - SmokStak
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club

My genset turns off after an AGS start, after quiet time (in the morning), without engine running. Yours too?

I thought the genset was starved of fuel too soon, too. However, after fueling up over the years, I realized when the gauge reads just below half, the tank is actually just above a quarter. BTW, it will always take numerous attempts to restart after fuel starvation. Holding the switch to "Off" for 30 seconds between start attempts helps get it there faster, but it still takes at least three attempts.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
TP, yes, within 5 mintutes after quiet time is over, the AGS starts the thing, but it quits between 2-5 minutes after start. I figured it's my batteries, since they are old, and would reqire a large incoming charge current, and while that is going on, the genset is also powering the coach load, which in my case might be the microwave, residential refer, and maybe a coffee pot. Then I think the xantrex has something to do with it, since it schedules the AGS, and is supposed to manage the incoming power and control the charging load. There is some kind of electrical load management somplace since if I am using all that AC power, in addition to the xantrex charging the batteries, something must get put in a reserve status, and my guess is the charging system is curtailed until the microwave is not on for a time. But at that point in time the charger is putting out high amps, it cuases the genset to fault. This may in fact be a common issue with alpines, with Xantrex Inverter/Chargers, although I have not taken a survey. I know many monaco's have Magnum inverters/chargers, and I have not heard of any issues such as that with them, but have not checked. I need to check that code, the next time it happens, but I have been lazy.

Chris, TP & All. Holding down the stop switch on the genset causes the fuel pump to prime the system and engages the glow plugs. I don't know if that works from the silverleaf console on the dash when starting the generator.

Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote