Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #1

We don't dry camp very often, but we are in Quartzsite and have some strange behavior from the generator and inverter and I'm trying to understand what is going on.

First, after running the generator for several hours, and making sure the load was off it, I turned the generator off. The Xantrex display showed the AGS mode as "Manual off". About 30 seconds later, the generator started up again! I turned it off, and everything was fine after that. Any idea why it came back on?

As for the inverter, we were laying in bed reading, and everything went off for a second, then came back on. This happened twice the first night, didn't happen the second night, and happened once the third night. Checking the Xantrex display there was nothing in the fault, warning, or event logs to indicate anything had happened. Any thoughts on that?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #2

We don't dry camp very often, but we are in Quartzsite and have some strange behavior from the generator and inverter and I'm trying to understand what is going on.

First, after running the generator for several hours, and making sure the load was off it, I turned the generator off. The Xantrex display showed the AGS mode as "Manual off". About 30 seconds later, the generator started up again! I turned it off, and everything was fine after that. Any idea why it came back on?

As for the inverter, we were laying in bed reading, and everything went off for a second, then came back on. This happened twice the first night, didn't happen the second night, and happened once the third night. Checking the Xantrex display there was nothing in the fault, warning, or event logs to indicate anything had happened. Any thoughts on that?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #4

Jerry and Shirley,
sorry, havent had the same problem (either one). Had several others, but not those
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello!

I believe I may have the answer to both issues.

1. When Load Sense is on, the unit turns itself off if the demand is extremely low. On mine, if I have only a couple lights on, it cycles on and off. The remedy is to turn on more lights or other power or turn off Load Sense. That feature is meant to turn on small, parasitic loads like clocks and indicator lamps. On my coach, it makes the bedroom lights by the headboard to blink madly.

2. The automatic restart can occur when the unit is told a larger power demand is being made, like the microwave or other high power need. It seems that the reefer can sometimes trigger it too. I believe that it can be programmed to not react so quickly. I'm going to experiment with mine.

You can control when the inverter triggers the genset by setting the Quiet Time feature. It will not operate between those hours. To save power, you can turn off the inverter when you go to bed and turn it on in the morning. It will save lots of power, but there are a few caveats.

It will turn off the residential reefer, though if left closed, it keeps plenty cool.

Secondly, your bedside lighting will not work unless you've added 12 volt fixtures (which it seems lots of folks are doing). Not sure why WRV never added these lights, it is an industry standard to have 12 volt lights at the bed. And it's useful!

Hope these help!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:36 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Jerry, I've linked your thread to the MH - Problems forum, as the issue appears to more of a Xantrex issue as opposed to an Alpine issue.

You should get more replies there.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #7

Ref the Xantrex load sense feature, if you read the "fine print" in the ops instructions it turns out the parasitic loads in fact cause the rapid on/off cycling. I've found that by turning off the parasitic loads from the microwave and video/stereo gear [ie over night]allows the RS2000 to sense the residential refrig's calls for power and it cycles perfectly.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #8

I've seen the postings and talked to Xantrex, and I do, indeed, believe the problem was with the load sense. Mine was set to "on" and the load was set to 40 watts. When I thought about it, it made no sense that the inverter would cut off below a certain threshhold. However, if all there is is phantom voltage, I can understand why the inverter would not be needed. In our case, even when we dry camp, we need a white noise machine, an electric blanket, and, of course, what every dry camper needs... an all electric refrigerator. That also explained why, when I threw the breaker that controls the entertainment center, all the lights went out! I get a little smarter every day. Thank you all.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">allows the RS2000 to sense the residential refrig's calls for power and it cycles perfectly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK... this brings up another question. Why not just leave the inverter on all night? I have heard mixed opinions on whether to leave the inverter on or turn it off, even when you are on shore power. I leave it on so if the power fails, my refrigerator will still have power. Is the inverter "wearing out" by being left on all the time?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #10

Great minds think alike==having recently installed the RS2000, I was shocked to find out it draws 160-170 DC watts just in the on mode, with little or no AC load/draw. If you are trying to mind your amps in a dry camping situation--160 DC watts/hours all night is a bit troublesome. Accordingly, the load sense mode (which draws 5-6 DC watts in off cycle) is very appealing. With my old mod-sine inverter, I left it on 24-7/365. It lasted 5 years and was probably ok when I switched to the RS2000. My intention is to leave the RS2000 on full time.
Bottomline--if you arent really minding yr amps and want all your "toys" to stay on over night, you have two options: 1. just leave the inverter on 24-7; or 2. ensure you have atleast 40 watts of continuous draw to overcome the 40 watt threashhold on the RS2000. I vote for just leaving it on....
PS--the RS2000 has a default setting for sensing load once every second--dont know what is to be gained by extending the elapse time--guess you would save some amps between senses.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #11

Gator 67, on the lighter side it seems as though your problem(s) were getting better each day. Maybe you should leave it alone?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

At Quartzsite I was being amp concious and turned off the inverter all night. In the morning I turned it back on for normal use. Since the fridge stayed closed, the ice didn't even soften. I charged the batteries with the genset for 45 minutes (AGS) in the late morning and 45 minutes at night.

However, since my return, I've left the coach unplugged and the inverter on. My AutoGenStart hasn't even kicked in once. I've left the fridge and heat (65 degrees) on. The solar has been enough to generate battery power for the last two days and has been mixed sun/overcast (currently raining like mad). I only used about three lights for four hours, one florescent for 24 hours and two hours of satellite TV.

Since the batteries (6 AGM house) seem to last without messing with the inverter, I am turning Load Sense off and leaving the inverter on.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:48 AM   #13

Sounds like you have your Xantrex under control. I agree, the load sense mode is probably a good deal only if you were dry camping long-term and wanted to limit genset use.

One aspect of the display panel does bug me--even though I still have the 5 indicator lights to measure bat/tanks/propane; it would be nice if the Xantrex gave you a simple bar graph to gauge remaining bat capacity. I know 12.8v is full and 12.1v is 40-50% but hate trying to do the "math" in between based on volts.

PS--being able to adjust the charging level (5-30 amps) is a great feature on the Xantrex. No matter what I set it at, my old Heart mod-sine seemed to draw max charge amps everytime I plugged in to shore power. If you do adjust it down, dont forget to raise it back up when on genset--it takes along time on 5 amps to recover the bats.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
The only way I know of to get an accurate idea of your battery state of charge is with a hydrometer or a battery monitor. Using the voltage to tell you, requires you to test with no load after some time with no load. The "bat/tanks/propane" gauge and the supplied Xantrex does not do this. Here are links to some actual battery monitors.

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/237/p/1/pt/5/product.asp

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/97/p/1/pt/7/product.asp

http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/96/p/1/pt/7/product.asp

http://www.bogartengineering.com/

These usually require a shunt to be added at the batteries. This is an expensive way to check your batteries, but it just depends on how accurate of information you want about their state of charge.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote