Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #1

Generator Radiator Leaking

I crawled under my generator yesterday when I saw a couple of coolant drips on the bottom of the radiator. I thought it was loose hose clamps and tightened them all. Then I noticed two places on the bottom side of the radiator which had fresh coolant drips. Pulling the top off of the generator confirmed that the radiator has two pinhole leaks.

I have a total of 190 hours on the generator. This is obviously a faulty radiator, but I am well out of warranty.

Has anyone else had their Onan radiator leak/replaced? I can replace the radiator myself, but I dread to hear the radiator cost. I may try some radiator stop leak, since they are pinhole sized leaks.

The only way to check for this type of leak is to crawl under the generator, and look up at the bottom of the radiator with a flashlight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #2

I changed the coolant in mine last year and found no signs of leakage. If you can get the side panels off it would be easy to remove and take it to a radiator shop. The problem I had is with the right side panel. The bottom bolt is trapped behind a metal gusset. I was able to get the bolt out by drilling and chiseling.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

After checking around, I can get a new radiator from Cummins for $147. Much less than I expected. I will be replacing the radiator.