Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #1

I learn something new everyday!!!! Does your Onan generator shut-off when the coach engine is running? (lots of threads on this site allude to it but I didnt see any solutions.) I recently replaced my old Heart inverter with a Xantrex RS2000. Tried running my genset and the overhead ACs like I always have with the old Heart and sure thing--the genset would shut down.

Working with the Cummins folks in San Antonio today, I learned there has been an Onan maintenance bulletin out since 10/06 indicating a problem with the Xantrex RS2000 inverter. For those of us with version 1.04 of the firm/software--the RS2000 will send AC feed back to the genset when your MH engine alternator is running. This feedback shuts down the genset and creates a "fault code 27".

According to the Cummins/Onan bulletin, a new rev of the Xantrex firm ware (1.08) is available to fix this "known" problem. You can check your version number by going to the "system menu" on your Xantrex display screen and selecting the "info option"--I think.

See ya--I am off to find a Xantrex dealer to get my version 1.08.

PS--reference fault code 27--you can validate code 27 in the following matter. The next time your genset shuts down, you should see the light on the start buttom blinking in a pattern of three's. Push the stop button once and the pattern should switch from three's to a pattern of two's followed by seven's [i.e. "27"].

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #2

I learn something new everyday!!!! Does your Onan generator shut-off when the coach engine is running? (lots of threads on this site allude to it but I didnt see any solutions.) I recently replaced my old Heart inverter with a Xantrex RS2000. Tried running my genset and the overhead ACs like I always have with the old Heart and sure thing--the genset would shut down.

Working with the Cummins folks in San Antonio today, I learned there has been an Onan maintenance bulletin out since 10/06 indicating a problem with the Xantrex RS2000 inverter. For those of us with version 1.04 of the firm/software--the RS2000 will send AC feed back to the genset when your MH engine alternator is running. This feedback shuts down the genset and creates a "fault code 27".

According to the Cummins/Onan bulletin, a new rev of the Xantrex firm ware (1.08) is available to fix this "known" problem. You can check your version number by going to the "system menu" on your Xantrex display screen and selecting the "info option"--I think.

See ya--I am off to find a Xantrex dealer to get my version 1.08.

PS--reference fault code 27--you can validate code 27 in the following matter. The next time your genset shuts down, you should see the light on the start buttom blinking in a pattern of three's. Push the stop button once and the pattern should switch from three's to a pattern of two's followed by seven's [i.e. "27"].

Old 06-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #3

I haven't had this problem, but I just talked with a technician at Xantrex and he said they do not have a v1.08. In fact v1.50 is still in the development stage. I don't know who is correct, Cummins or Xantrex, but you might save yourself a trip to your local Xantrex dealer (every gallon of diesel counts these days) and call Xantrex yourself.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #4

Interesting--my conversation with a Xantrex tech rep earlier today indicated ver 1.08 was available and directed me to a Xantrex shop here in Texas for service. Now, he did sound a bit like an "out-of-towner" [ie, India] but he seemed very sure of his facts.....
Old 06-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #5

OK--Richard's comment got me curious----so latest info from a Xantrex tech rep is there is a "later" version of the firmware [perhaps not 1.08] that most Xantrex service centers "should" be aware of. In the interim, he suggested we might try manually switching off the charger function on the inverter if we want/need to run our roof ACs. Havent tried this option yet....
Old 06-20-2008, 05:39 AM   #6

I have had this problem with my '05 and Cummins tried replacing the control module and then the stator with no results. Mark at WRV, several years ago suggested turning off the charger from the Xantrex control panel. This works for me. When the engine is running it charges both chassis and house battery. I have had some success with starting the generator and then starting the engine.

Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote