Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Generator slide

Somebody talked about the proper lubrication for the rollers and jack screw for the generator slide and I can not find it. Please give me another shot at it. I think he said every 6 months and gave a reccomendation of the proper lube. I had the problem in MX with the salt and sand after sitting down there for two months. Thanks
Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #2

Depends on model year--if your coach was made before 2004, your genset slide doesnt have a drive screw or rollers, instead you have guides and hydraulic rams. In which case, some dry lube on the guides might help.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Mine is a 2005 with a jack screw and what appear to be stainless steel rollers on both sides. I think there are six rollers on each side.

Dave
2005 38TP
Vacaville, CA
Old 08-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #4

I guess you meant you couldnt find the lube, but you could find the drive screw--english is not my strong suite--my bad....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

I just check it by eye. The rollers don't appear to be lube-able, look like sealed units, but I'm pretty sure you can take one in and get them matched at the likes of Bearing, Belt & Chain, or Kaman Bearing, or other outfits that supply industry w/bearings in your area if they get sticky. Several folks have had them rust solid. I put on a plastic glove & rub the screw down w/whatever axle type grease is handy.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
All, I believe I posted what I do and made that suggestion about every 6 months.

I use some machine oil, on all the rollers, it will get into the bearings just do to gravity, it just takes a bit. I also run the machine oil along the screw drive, then wipe most of it off, leaving just a light film on it. Because it's in the dirt stream when driving, the oil will hold grit on it if it's real heavy, so after I put the oil on it, I then wipe 98% of it off. Ensuring the threads are good and clean.

Hope this helps. I don't have a schedule when i do it, I just try to remember about the 4th month, when I exercise the gen set, and check the oil, then remember to lube those rollers and the screw drive.

I also should clean and lube the electric step as well, but when i think about it, the coach is always at a site, with the air bags collapsed and the jacks out. I have to replace the water pump, so I will try to do it after I do that on Thursday. It's time it was done, since I have not done it since we owned the coach, and it's making a little noise. I will use PB Blaster to clean off all the load bearing surfaces then wipe everything down real good, then a little light machine oil should do the trick. Kwikee has their own oil, but it's not cheap.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Can I use the same grease for the shaft that I use for my garage door opener ? That seems like it would attrack dirt which does not sound right, seeing the location in relation to the ground, etc. I'm just an old retired pilot, not a mechanic, so I'm not very adept at this kind of stuff.

Just looking for a spray or whatever to keep it working. I can lay on my back and crawl under, I just do not know what to buy to lube the screw drive and the rollers.

Dave
Vacaville, CA
Old 08-03-2010, 11:43 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Dave, jsut use 3 in 1 oil on it, just wipe off most of the oil you put on the shaft, so it does not get too dirty.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I use a penetrating oil on mine. Doesn't seem to accumulate much debris. If you are worried about dirt, there are aerosol dry moly products available. They look like gray paint when used but leave a dry lube on the screw.
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #10

The ACME screw for the electric gen slide actuator shouldn't accumulate much dirt where the screw is active, since in its closed state the active part of the screw is covered by the pipe that pushes the slide open. And when you have the slide out and the screw is exposed, you shouldn't be moving (much).