Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

Generator slide latch

One of the high pressure hoses operating the generator slideout has burst and dumped several quarts of fluid on the ground. I have backed off both the extend and retract valves but I can only pull the slide out about 2 inches. Is there a lock on the generator slide as there is on the room slideout? If so how do I over-ride it?

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
One of the high pressure hoses operating the generator slideout has burst and dumped several quarts of fluid on the ground. I have backed off both the extend and retract valves but I can only pull the slide out about 2 inches. Is there a lock on the generator slide as there is on the room slideout? If so how do I over-ride it?
Yes, there is a latch underneath the slide. Do a search on the Alpine Coach forum for details in dealing with the latch.

Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Generator/Front End Electric Motor

Photo on post #10 from Dale Gerstel
Old 09-20-2010, 10:24 AM   #4

Thanks Guys, I had already read this but it applies to the later coaches that have the electric motor driven slides. Mine has the HWH hydraulic drive so I assume the locking mechanism is different.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #5

My early 2003 was among the last built with hydraulic rams for the genset--dont think there is a latch. Believe the pressure in the retract rams holds the genset slide closed. Sounds like the extend and retract solenoids havent been released yet. Its hard to tell, HWH recommended no more than 5-6 turns [counter-clockwise I believe (see the post above on stuck slides)] to release but this may/will vary--continue to turn--and be gentle--and see if they dont release so you can crank/push the slide in.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

I turned the valve screws 6 turns and as I did so I could hear the pressure release. I was then able to extend the slide about 2" before it came to a hard stop. I am trying to extend the generator slide so I can get to the burst high pressure hose. My room slide has a stop which prevents the rams extending the room unless the Travel light is off so I just have a feeling there is something similar on the gen. slide.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #7

This is where the diagnosis gets tricky--things may have change between the time they built yr 1998 and my 2003. They certainly have since the electric genset slides came out in 04. Hopefully a fellow Alpiner with a 1998 model will come to our rescue and let you know if there is a latch, and if so, how to defeat it. There are no latches on any of the slides on a 2003, that may not be true for a 98--sorry I cant help more.....
Old 09-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I turned the valve screws 6 turns and as I did so I could hear the pressure release. I was then able to extend the slide about 2" before it came to a hard stop. I am trying to extend the generator slide so I can get to the burst high pressure hose. My room slide has a stop which prevents the rams extending the room unless the Travel light is off so I just have a feeling there is something similar on the gen. slide.
John,
I have an '01 and it has no latch. There is a small winch box on the driver's side of the slide; if it had been bent up somehow it would contact the all-thread adjustable stop when the gen slide was extended about 6". I doubt that's it; just grasping at straws.

Frank
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #9

Frank, I've never heard of a winch box at the front end. Was that original or installed by a previous owner? Anyway I don't have one so can't blame that.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry Algoma:

I forgot about the 2003 change from hydraulic. My 2003 is electric (74727 May '02), while many '03's were hydraulic. I plan to check tomorrow if a latch actually exists.

As mentioned, the hydraulic would be held in by hydraulic pressure. Did you release both solenoids in the system, extend AND retract?
Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #11

Again, I'd be more comfortable with a 1998 owner leading discussion--but lets take another approach here: What caused the hose to burst? Might have been old age but perhaps the genset slide is hung up on something inside, or the equalizer tube that ensures both rams work together is bad, maybe there's a rock or other debris in the extension rails themselves. This could also explain a "hard stop".
Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #12

Well the good news is that the truck shop managed to get the slide open. Even with both solenoids open and not much fluid left in the system the rams provided a lot of resistance and the slide moved out very slowly with 2 people pulling. Looks like the hose to the equalizer blew because the end fitting had corroded. Haven't found a latch yet so maybe it was some foreign object in the slide that was causing the hard stop. Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.