Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #1

Generator slide lock

Found out today that when the gen slide works its way in, there's a bar across the front of the gen that drops into two slots on either side of the gen that locks the gen IN. When you go to run the gen slide out the screw turning lifts that bar out of the two slots.
This afternoon, one side of the bar did not lift out of the slot. The tech saw the hangup and gave the bar a twist and it lifted out of the slot. Anyone know about this and have a remedy? First time it's happened to me in over 4 years.
Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #2

Well, since no one has had the problem, I will tell you what happened. On either end of the bar that toggles up or down to lock the gen slide in the IN position, there is a bolt that is the pivot point for the bar. The right bolt was gone and not on the ground, so no pivot point of the right side. Replaced bolt and the bar toggles properly unlocking the gen slide.
So now you know...........

Old 08-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
David, you also need to oil lightly then wipe off the excess oil on the slide threaded bar, all the rollers in their center so the oil works it way inside them, and that bar also needs a little grease on it so it does not hang up. Do gen slide maintenance every six months. Do a search on it so you know all the particulars. Since you get a little dirty doing that, also oil the electric step, but make sure you pull the fuse to it, so you don't lose a finger if it goes in on you at some point. According to the manfacturer "kwikee step maintenance" document you can download. It tells you all about it. They recommend their oil, I use 3in1, and do those when I do the genslide lube maintenance. Kwikee recommends every month, way to often unless you are into dusty places all the time. Keep the bags full of air, and then just lower the jacks to give you added safety so it does not come down on you working the step maintenance, also gives you more room under the front end when doing the genslide. Search for posts on this procedure.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #4

Also grease then wipe down the angled points the lock bar latches on. Mine locked up when I wanted to get fuel; I had to phone a friend who suggested smacking it up w/a hammer from below. Awkward to do w/not much backswing available, and its a wake-up call when the slide pops out a couple inches w/a massive BANG!!!, but it worked. Greased the points, and it hasn't hung up since.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I wonder if someone could provide a picture, since I don't fully understand which points EM is talking about. Mine makes a clunking noise when it latches in/out so I need to figure out which points he is talking about. Would wheel bearing greese be good to use?
Old 08-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
See post # 10 on this thread:

Generator/Front End Electric Motor
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you, that did it for me. I will watch it go out/in and see if my bar is twisting as well.

Tags
generator, slide