Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM   #1

Generator slide motor

Anyone know if the generator slide motor is a brushed motor? My slide motor seems weak - it takes one person to help pull and push the slide while someone holds the button down to get it to open and close.

I've checked the rollers, lubed everything, no change.

I'm thinking the brushes in the motor might be going....wondering if I can just put new brushes in it?

Anyone find a replacement motor?

Thanks,

Michael
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Michael - You didn't say what year your coach is. I have an older one that uses hydraulics for the generator slide. The motor for that is brushed and also runs the room slides, and can be repaired...I have done it. I don't know about the motor driven gen slides but I would check electrical connections, switches, and relays for voltage drops. If contacts/connections need cleaning there will be a considerable voltage drop across the applicable junctions and deprive the motor of power.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #3

replacement assembly is ~$750 if needed, I believe they assemble them to order. Still probably a stuck cam follower. Try putting slide out a few inches on level ground to release the latch, undo the bolt at front of screw mechanism releasing the motor, & pull the slide out manually. If its not moving, there is too much friction. If you can yank it out w/some force, then its the motor. This takes a strong back.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies. It's a 2004, the motor is mounted underneath, NOT the same motor used for the hydrualic pump on the room slides. I replaced the room slide hydrualic pump motor last year.

I'll look closer at the followers. I'm leaving in a few days for a trip from WI to CA....hate to get stuck somewhere because I can't put fuel in it.
speedsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The screw drive shaft needs to be oiled with 3in1 oil and the excess wiped off. The locking mechanism on mine was very stiff to release, some wheel bearing grease will help make it easier, then 3in1 every 6 months should keep it working as well. Search here on this forum for more genslide motor or locking issues, was a post about 4-5 years ago from previous owner, he had to fix his locking mechanism. He had pictures as well.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #6

Speed sport
I pulled this info off my electric gen slide motor.
Von Weise Gear Co, Eaton Rapids, Mi.
V 07668 AT 76 U
12 VDC, 11.0 A
They do not have this unit in their :catalog. They supply to Kwikee Powergear. The Kwikee number for this motor is #1820108. Verify that this is accurate.

Monte
My locking mechanism had been a problem this last spring, I had to stay on the toggle 2 or 3 times before it would release. I first thought it was the motor, a gear hanging up. Under closer view, the lock mechanism would not release before gen starts to slide. I was looking for some way to adjust the shaft, I just rotated the shaft by hand a couple of turns. Don't remember which way I rotated. It works perfect now, does not hang up. I also oiled all moving parts.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ed & Diane, September last year on the way to the farm, I tapped a truck from his back and my front. The damage to his truck was 150.00, my front gen slide cap 3K. I bent some of the framing on the locking mechanism itself, and had to straighten that by hand, and replace the shoulder bolts which hold on the locking parts. I realized that those shoulder bolts need to be lubricated as well as all the contact point on the locking bar itself. Once I did those things it seems to work better than before the accident. I took off the slide cap (had friends help-heavy sucker) and he also helped me put it back on. Getting it lined up again took about one hour, of tugging, and pushing it around until it looked good both out and in. Hope I don't have to do that one again. Provided I do my slide maintenance and the above lubrication, it seems to work great now, not nearly as loud letting go and locking up.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, slide