Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

Unhappy Generator slide oil leak

I have a 2001 36ft Alpine. Recently noticed a red oil stain under the right rail (passenger side) of the generator slide, on the front end. The piston is fitted inside the rail, so has no access. The slide still works, but it is getting harder to close it. Is there any literature, or skematics, on the hydraulic system actuating the slide? Does the entire front end and slide have to be removed?
Thanks for any info.!
Bill Fleming

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Bill, I have not seen any info on the hydraulic system for the front slide. You could try calling Mark Harrah 509-731-7147.

JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks Jim.
I did contact Mark by email and he referred me to HWH. A local RV shop is taking care if it now. We'll see how well it turns out. I could use it for a while by filling the reservoir, but that is not my choice if I can get it fixed.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
HWH is about a month out on hoses....check this post

Bedroom slide hyd.hose failure
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
I have a 2001 36ft Alpine. Recently noticed a red oil stain under the right rail (passenger side) of the generator slide, on the front end. The piston is fitted inside the rail, so has no access. The slide still works, but it is getting harder to close it. Is there any literature, or skematics, on the hydraulic system actuating the slide? Does the entire front end and slide have to be removed?
Thanks for any info.!
Bill Fleming
Bill,
Can you please tell me how u fixed your generator slide leak. My has started to leak and I'm scratching my head on how to fix it. Thanks

Will
Old 04-29-2015, 11:11 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Bill clean the area completely, including the hoses and fittings. There is also a synchronization cylinder above the ram.

Run the generator slide in and out and look again. I thought my ram was leaking and it turned out to be a hose fitting on the sync cylinder.

The ram is removed from the rear where the hydraulic lines are connected. There are 2 nuts accessible on the slide near the front on the generator, through a hole in the channel the ram is in for the forward part of the ram.

I hope it is just a hose they are easy to have made and install. Check the fluid level it maybe low and that maybe what is causing problems with the slide.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
Bill clean the area completely, including the hoses and fittings. There is also a synchronization cylinder above the ram.

Run the generator slide in and out and look again. I thought my ram was leaking and it turned out to be a hose fitting on the sync cylinder.

The ram is removed from the rear where the hydraulic lines are connected. There are 2 nuts accessible on the slide near the front on the generator, through a hole in the channel the ram is in for the forward part of the ram.

I hope it is just a hose they are easy to have made and install. Check the fluid level it maybe low and that maybe what is causing problems with the slide.
Mr. Fernandez, thank you for the info. I'm some what mechanically incline, but could send pics or explain it more in detail on how to get to the hydraulic line running to the ram. Thanks Will
Old 04-30-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Bill here is what my 2001 looks like. With the Gen slide extended, you can see the opening for access to remove the nut from the front of the Ram. I took a photo of the Sync Cylinder, which is above the Ram and Housing. You can see that if a leak were on the sync cylinder oil would move down onto the Gen Slide Ram and housing making you think the leak is in the Ram.

To remove the Ram you can see in the picture one of the two nuts that need to be removed, along with disconnecting the hydraulic hoses. There is also a cross member for the sway bar that needs to be removed in order to pull the ram out.

I hope the photos help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen Slide Open.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	92980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Access to Front of Ram Removal Nut.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	92981  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sync Cylinder for Gen Slide.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	92982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolts to Remove Ram From Rear.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	92983  

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Bill here is what my 2001 looks like. With the Gen slide extended, you can see the opening for access to remove the nut from the front of the Ram. I took a photo of the Sync Cylinder, which is above the Ram and Housing. You can see that if a leak were on the sync cylinder oil would move down onto the Gen Slide Ram and housing making you think the leak is in the Ram.

To remove the Ram you can see in the picture one of the two nuts that need to be removed, along with disconnecting the hydraulic hoses. There is also a cross member for the sway bar that needs to be removed in order to pull the ram out.

I hope the photos help.
Mr. Fernandez thanks for the info. Just so I got this down, so i remove the one nut in front of the ram and then remove the nuts in the rear of the generator when the hydraulic hoses. This will remove the ram. One important note, IS THIS SYSTEM UNDER PRESSURE and if so what do I need to do to release it. Man I wish u was in my neck of the woods. Very knowledgeable. Thank you.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Commercial Member

bill the system is under pressure. that can be released at the pump manifold. even if you just open a line, you wont lose much.
just so you know, there is no hose shortage.
if you need some help, my cell is 602-549-3638, it on all the time, weekends too. i do work for hwh. paul maddox
Old 05-02-2015, 12:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
bill the system is under pressure. that can be released at the pump manifold. even if you just open a line, you wont lose much.
just so you know, there is no hose shortage.
if you need some help, my cell is 602-549-3638, it on all the time, weekends too. i do work for hwh. paul maddox
Thanks a lot Paul. One last ?. Can I just open a line to relieve the pressure and go from there. You are the man.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:09 PM   #12

Hydraulic cyliner on generator slide leaking

Mr. Dave Fernandez or anyone else who have experience with this issue. I have to 2001 Alpine Coach 8.3 350 Cummins. The passenger side cylinder on my generator slide has started to leak really bad and in need of replacement. Could someone please call me at (334) 202-6549 about this issue and how to fix it. I also need a part number for the cylinder so I can get it on order (will probably take a few weeks for HWH to make). Thanks in advance.

Quote: