Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Generator slide out

We own a 2005 Alpine Limited / 36 ft. FDTS
Vin# 75410
Our Alpine was towed to a mechanic shop in Lafayette,LA for engine starting issues -- Installed two new VMM ( keeping the Original for a spare)
The present issues is that the Tow Truck damaged under the Generator Slide Out. Severely damaged the Slide Out Gear Box / Electric Motor / Shaft
Also the Housing was damaged
The Tow Truck also damaged the Electric Door Step
Contacted Aubrey's RV Center in Union Gap WA. -- Carolyn does not have the assemble
Does Anyone know of somewhere that I can locate the Assemble ???
Really need Help
On the Electric Motor - Has -- Von Weise / Serial # E1994

The Parliers
(337) 380-5653

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Parliers View Post
We own a 2005 Alpine Limited / 36 ft. FDTS

Vin# 75410

Our Alpine was towed to a mechanic shop in Lafayette,LA for engine starting issues -- Installed two new VMM ( keeping the Original for a spare)

The present issues is that the Tow Truck damaged under the Generator Slide Out. Severely damaged the Slide Out Gear Box / Electric Motor / Shaft

Also the Housing was damaged

The Tow Truck also damaged the Electric Door Step

Contacted Aubrey's RV Center in Union Gap WA. -- Carolyn does not have the assemble

Does Anyone know of somewhere that I can locate the Assemble ???

Really need Help

On the Electric Motor - Has -- Von Weise / Serial # E1994

The Parliers

(337) 380-5653

Not to create an issue, but why are you chasing the parts, the tow truck company/their insurance company should be doing it?

DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #3

I think you may have problem finding a new electric assembly. Maybe your best option, would be to find one in a salvage yard.

If you can't one, maybe it could be possible to convert it to HWH hydraulic cylinder like earlier Alpines had. It would not be cheap or easy.

Although it will not help you, anytime anyone else tows the electric gen slide, the whole assembly really should be removed first.

Maybe you can locate the step ok? Probably could put different step on.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

Same thing happened to a friend last year. The alt. failed on his Country Coach while he was on the road. He had it towed to a reputable repair shop and they noticed the damage. The shop took pictures and documented all of the damage before the tow guys left. Similar type of damage, gen. slide wouldn't extend or retract and was sitting crooked.

Long story short, it sat in the shop for a couple of weeks while they looked for parts. Finally we made the 100 mile drive, fortunately it was close, and picked it up and brought it to a local shop. The shop bought what parts they could and had the rest fabricated or repaired locally.

Hopefully some of your parts can be repaired or copied by a metal fabricator.

The tow company picked up the tab as they should. FWIW, This tow co. was dispatched through Good Sam.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Not to create an issue, but why are you chasing the parts, the tow truck company/their insurance company should be doing it?
I agree with Dave, but, I'm sure you're a little more anxious to have repairs made than the insurance or tow co. You will probably be a little more diligent in your search.

Sometimes you can find things quicker by searching the internet and posting in forums. You can also sit down at the computer and contact different RV shops on the off chance they might have something sitting on a shelf in the back.

Perfect example, I kept getting 8-12 week time lines from shops for my hydraulic pump. I found it myself on line and had it in 4 days from England.

Just sayin', Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Generator slide out

Ok, so putting aside the issue of the parts, it seems to me that 8 - 10 years ago there was a discussion here on IRV2 about towing and the final outcome was to only use a low boy. I also seem to remember this has come up at least once since then with the same end result. You longer term members, am I remembering that correctly?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Unfortunatey I have had to be towed twice. Have an electric slide and no damage to the slide when towing.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:07 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Btw - if you don't know the step unit is from Kwikee, go to Bing or Google, you will find multiple sources.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Jetar,

Would appreciate your sharing exactly HOW they towed you without damage.

Did the flat bed it? Lift it by the front wheels? Other?
Old 08-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - Joe Elwell in Oregon bought several front slide Actuators at the Wells Fargo Auction of WRV. His email use to be jjelwell@msn.com and 2 old phone #s 971-240-8390 & 503-551-9799 cell. He had a warehouse of stuff! He occasionally does work on the West Coast for HWH still and you might try to contact him through HWH if my numbers are obsolete!!!!

Always remember before being towed that the Actuator mechanism has to be disconnected, and turned over so it doesn't hang down, before being towed!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW ...

My coach was towed multiple times as part of a battery compartment fire and subsequent restoration. A Denver area tow company that handles semi's and RV's was summoned by the police. The truck had a large arm that came down from the back of his truck with a large cross shaped metal support attached. The cross piece slid under the front at which point he attached it to the front axle (I believe). He had to dismantle the rear U-joint since the park brake was activated and could no longer be released (no power). The RV dealer also towed it between their body shop in Denver and their main repair facility in Longmont, CO.

So, even though my slide out is hydraulic it still proves that these coaches CAN be towed via the front end if performed correctly.

Interesting side story ... the tow truck backed up close to the front of my coach while along the shoulder of the road, got out, walked part way back & then stopped. I asked him if there was a problem. He declared "No, but it's the first motorhome fire he's picked up that still looked like a motorhome."
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Bob, The gen slides changed to electric in '05 , I think! We had to have our Apex towed twice in relationship to getting the engine rebuilt in 2015, and no damage was done by following the above stated method. The drive shaft is also disconnected.

Never assume that the Tow Co knows how to do it!!!!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Jetar,

Would appreciate your sharing exactly HOW they towed you without damage.

Did the flat bed it? Lift it by the front wheels? Other?
Like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_153253.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	137502  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #14

Wolfe10 the coach was lifted at the front end axle with the drive line disconnected. In neither case was it put on a flat bed.

Tags
generator, slide, slide out