Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
chboone, I can only assume you have never owned an Onan QD generator.
Doesn't matter diesel, gas, natural gas, propane or which manufacturer if the rpm's are fluctuating the frequency will follow. RPM'S = frequency. Voltage by voltage regulator, the lower the volts the higher the amps, the higher the volts the lower the amps, OHM'S law.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #16

[moderator edit]You appear to have a gas RV and presumably a gas generator. The Onan QD generator is a variable speed generator and the output is provided by a solid state inverter. This is not a synchronous generator (as is the Generac). [moderator edit]
Old 01-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Doesn't matter diesel, gas, natural gas, propane or which manufacturer if the rpm's are fluctuating the frequency will follow. RPM'S = frequency. Voltage by voltage regulator, the lower the volts the higher the amps, the higher the volts the lower the amps, OHM'S law.
Well...this is what I thought before. My gasoline powered Onan 5.5Kw generator worked as you stated. My 7.5Kw Onan Quiet Diesel works differently. The RPMs vary while the output is constant. I don't understand the system at this point, but I'm researching. It's a fantastic generator!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #18

Chboone/Koop: As algoma mentions above, the QD7500s and above are inverter based generators. The RPM of the engine will vary from idle to 3525 rpm based upon the load/demand on the AC side. The QD5500's and below (with one exception) are conventional generators and will attempt to sustain a fixed rotor speed regardless of load.

Jerry: In the majority of cases with a QD hunting around at different RPMs unrelated to load you will find it's fuel delivery related. In the majority of those cases it is the fuel filter that is needing replacement, but it can be cracked fuel lines allowing air in the lines or a failing fuel pump. Cummins/Onan has a recommended fuel delivery test as follows:

FUEL PUMP/Fuel Flow Test

1. Disconnect the fuel return hose from the line to the supply tank and point the end into a quart (1 liter) or larger container that has volume graduations. There are 2 fuel lines entering the unit. 1 is the supply, 1 is the return line. Make sure all testing is done from the RETURN line which will be clearly marked on the cover.

2. Prime the genset by pushing the Start/Stop switch to STOP and holding it there for the duration of the test. Flow rate into your container should not be less than 200 ml (0.4 pints) per minute.

3. If flow is less than specified, replace the fuel filter. Re-test. If that does not help, look for other issues in the fuel system such as wet or leaking fuel lines especially at unions and connections. Last, replace the fuel pump as the pump is not serviceable.

If the unit passes the delivery test, I use a separate powered small 12V fuel pump and a 1 gallon container of fresh fuel. Using my own supply/return lines I'll run the unit on my "test" pump and fresh fuel to see if the problem still exists. If the problem clears up then I'll look at the 12v wiring to the pump and/or replacing the fuel pump.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #19

Talking Surging gas powered Onan 7HGJab twin generator FIX

I have just gone through the entire process of "solving" the surging/dying issue with my 7HGJAB Marquis gold Onan gasoline powered generator. Despite sucking in full strength carb cleaners with fuel pump and letting it sit for days - it still had serious surging issues. My carburetor had a black plastic altitude adjustment tab that limited the movement of the idle mixture screw. My generator appeared to be running quite lean (when it would run), because spraying ether, or manually closing the choke butterfly would keep it running.

When I removed the bowl, I noticed that the movement of the black plastic tab did not move the needle valve of the idle mixture screw. I removed the black plastic altitude adjustment tab by prying between the bowl of the carburetor and the tab with a flat screw driver, and noticed that the gear splines in the black plastic were stripped away. I then removed the brass idle mixture screw, cleaned off varnish remains and cleaned the port with spray carb cleaner and a bread twist tie wire. I reinstalled the idle mixture screw and started with tightening the screw all the way in (stop at light resistance - don't strip the screw) and then backed it off CCW 2 turns. Generator started, and after allowing it to warm up, I ended up at close to 3 turns before finding the sweet spot for highest RPMs and no surging (Sea Level).

I also noticed that surging could be achieved by both a rich mixture and a lean mixture. This explains the myriad of symptoms in the different threads of carb issues associated with 5.5 and 7.0 Onan gasoline generators. Some folks described symptoms of rich mixtures, others had symptoms of lean mixtures. It all depends where the idle mixture adjustment screw is stuck.

My RV is a 2007 Tiffin Allegro with a 7HGJAB Onan gasoline generator that now runs normal without the stripped black altitude adjustment tab and $250 dollars still in my wallet.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:17 PM   #20

Interesting, OP is posting on the Alpine Forum but his sig-block suggests he now owns a 2017 Dutch Star 4018. So hard to know which coach he now owns but suspect either way, he has a diesel genset. Great conversation on diagnosing gas and propane gensets--just not applicable to this thread.....[smile]
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 07-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Just a little history here. Algoma had an Alpine for many years, a year or so ago replaced it with a new coach.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
One of the pit falls of digging up old postings is that things change (particularly with WRV out of business), data can appear to not be relevant to this forum. In January 2014 when Jerry Davis did the original post he owned an 05 Alpine (he was the original owner). Since that time he has purchased a new coach (he is now a SOB, Some Other Brand) and his signature block reflects what he currently owns. Many folks like Jerry and Algoma have a wealth of Alpine specific knowledge, however it is impossible to know that from their current signature blocks. I fear that as our coaches age this will be an all too familiar story, maybe we need to create an Alpine alumni category, it would be a shame to loose the 10+ years of knowledge people like Jerry gained during their Alpine ownership.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #23

Well said Dave, Jerry and Algoma have a lot of knowledge that has been so helpful with so many Alpine owners.I have learned so much from these two Experts.
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
Old 07-19-2017, 11:03 AM   #24

Sure didn't see a padlock on this thread.....hummm.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredvet View Post
Well said Dave, Jerry and Algoma have a lot of knowledge that has been so helpful with so many Alpine owners.I have learned so much from these two Experts.

One of the things folks that don't know Alpines do, is they assume that WRV did things like other manufacturers do. As an owner we KNOW WRV did not do this and have to watch what is suggested by other brand owners, they can sometimes lead you down a rat hole. For example I am not aware of another coach that uses a Vansco bus, but as is the case for this thread, an Onan Quiet Diesel works pretty much the same if it is on an Alpine, Monaco or Country Coach.

There are several IRV2 members that know Alpines even if their signature shows that they have moved on to a newer coach. We want their knowledge and participation on this forum. We also appreciate the participation by other brand owners, but we, as Alpine owners have to recognize when we are getting advice that is contrary to how our coaches operate.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:05 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Wink

Even tho I now own a different brand of coach I truly loved my Alpine and will always think kindly of the great travels it gave me.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:16 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thread closed...old thread reopened after OP has changed RV's.

Thanks to all who posted within the Community Rules.

Steve as iRV2 Staff
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Closed Thread

Tags
generator