Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #1

Generator won't shut off!

Went to start the coach today and all the batteries were dead (forgot to shut the master switches off ), so I plugged 'er in to get enough charge to start the engine and genset. Ran everything for a couple of hours, shut the engine down and then went to shutdown the genset. After pushing the 'off' side of the switch, the switch light blinked a couple of times and the generator fired right back up.

This went on for an hour or so while I tried every combination of switch & breaker on the coach. No go; I couldn't get the genset to shut off. Finally pulled the negative cable off the chassis battery bank, which at that point I heard what sounded like a starter solenoid clicking on and off repeatedly (the 12v lights would dim drastically in time with the clicking.) Pulling the positive lead off the battery finally put the gremlins to rest.

Pretty sure I don't have an AGS, since this is a 2000 model year with a Heart inverter.

Anyone have any ideas where I should start looking?

TIA,

Mark

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:32 PM   #2

Many years ago with a class C motorhome I had a problem with a remote start switch inside the coach that shorted a time or two when I drove in the rain. I was able to disconnect the remote switch at the generator until I could get a new switch.

If you don't get better ideas, you might try disconnecting the remote switch harness from the generator and see if that fixes the startup situation. Maybe you have a bad switch in the coach.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #3

Mark.....Did you try shutting off at the Generator itself? That would confirm Jim's idea that you might have a bad remote switch.
Mike & Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Nancy View Post
Mark.....Did you try shutting off at the Generator itself? That would confirm Jim's idea that you might have a bad remote switch.
Yes, I did. I have two remotes (dash & panel) as well and tried all three... Even shut off the genset breaker on the generator -- no difference.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #5

There is a cable running out of the generator that goes to the switch inside the motorhome. About a foot out of the generator, on the left side, it has a plug you can disconnect. If the plug gets wet or moisture it can cause your problem and so can the switch inside. Try disconnection the plug and it will eliminate those areas.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #6

MFortie,

This is also a circuit board inside the GenSet cover. That circuit board could be bad or shorting out somehow. Moisture can sometimes seep inside the GenSet cover getting onto the circuit board, which can cause problems.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
MFortie,
Unplug the harness from the genset to remotes. Start the genset with the start switch on the genset. Try and use the same switch to stop the genset. The breakers will not stop the genset from running, they only stop power from the genset to the coach(A/C power) If the genset will start/stop with the switch mounted on genset then your problem is in one of the remote switches or the connection plug. If it will start but will not stop with the switch mounted on genset then the problem is in the control board for the genset. I have not seen the type/size/gas/diesel/fuel of genset posted yet. What is Mfg/size/fuel ?

Richard
Old 01-24-2010, 06:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If it turns out to be the circuit board, get in touch with Dinosaur Electronics (http://dinosaurelectronics.com/). The company double solders the connections, warranties the board for 3 years. Down Side they don't sell to consumers, however, if you contact any RVIA certified technician doing mobile service, he should be able to order the board for you. They are the best replacement boards even much better than the original boards made for Onan. I won’t use OEM boards again; Dinosaur is my 1st choice from now on.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #9

Old, great info and link, too bad they dont sell to the public. I sure wish they made a tester for the HWH 625 board. I am still playing with mine. I have a couple of Darlington arrays on BO that I believe are the problem.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Mark:

My Heart Interface had AGS. I dumped the POS for a RS3000. There are several posts about water entering the top of the genset. If the AGS isn't kicking it on, try eliminating one switch at a time.