Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can not help you with the problem,, Epically after the very excellent post by Old RV'er who seems to have just about covered it.

But I will comment you need a refresher on electronics 100.5

In the original post you said "Diodes which change it to AC"

Doides change it to DC, Not AC or actually pulsuating half cycle (each diode or diode pair) They are electroinc "Check Valves" (Current flows only one way)

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Code 27 has been an "on/off" issue on the forum for several years--smile. In simplest terms, it appears the Onan genset doesnt like two DC charging sources [eg, the Xantrex and the engine alternator.] I was holding out hope that a software upgrade to older RS2000s might help--apparently not. There may be other circumstances when this is a problem--for me its going down the road on really hot days when the dash air is not sufficient so we run the roof air/genset. Not sure how Silverleaf handles this but on the RS2000 control panel you can de-select the option that automatically enables the RS2000 charger whenever AC current is detected. Makes it easier to disable the charger before the genset picks up the load--not a solution, just a work around.

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
Yep OS hit the nail on the head. There does not seem to be a "Fix for this", and Onan might think the inverter is bad (and it might be based on what was described above), but really it is as stated, the Onan does not like two DC sources present at the same time. I don't know if changing to a different inverter would fix this issue or not, but knowing how to work around it, is as follows. Disable the charger once the genset starts, and then they will work together, you then can run any a/c circuit off the genset, and the alternator will charge the batteries, etc.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 AM   #18
Just an FYI. I had the same code 27 a few weeks ago and the genset would auto start and then shut off. If I manually started the genset it ran fine until I shut it off. On my way home I realized I had turned off the autocharger and exerciser via the Silverleaf when I had it parked in my shop. So when I got home I turned on the autocharger and exerciser. While washing the coach the genset started and then shut off with in 30 seconds.

Prior to leaving last weekend I decided to disconnect the 12 volt power via the disconnects in the battery compartment for a minute or two and then turn them back on. My thought was the systems would reset and apparently they did as the genset worked flawlessly that weekend. I think my turning off the autocharger and exerciser and then dry camping with a need for charging just confused the system and caused my issues.

I have not experienced the problem with the genset running at the same time as the coach as others have described. The genset has started as I was leaving a campsite in the past while idling out of the camping area and driving slowly through town. I actually shut it off three times before I got to highway speeds and the alternator started charging at the rate required to satisfy the system.

I just wanted to throw out my experience in case it would help.

Good luck.....
Mark and Janet Schumacher
2007 APEX 40FDQS
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:19 AM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
If my main engine is running, and I start the Genset, once it tries to take over charging duty, it quits. To restart it, I have to do one of the following:
1. Turn off master switches in Battery Compartment wait 15 seconds, and then turn them back on, the genset will now operate from Silverleaf control on dash or TV.
2. Open up GS compartment, and use switch on unit to start it. But, doing it this way will not cause it to work from either the TV or SL control on dash if it has shut down because of Code 27.

Silverleaf system must be reset doing Item 1 above before GS will start from inside the coach. Disabling Autocharger and exerciser has no bearing on my issue. However we have noted, if Autocharger starts coach, it might run for 4 hours, or it might quit after 1 minute or so. This would be in a dry camping situation. I don't as a rule use the exerciser feature, since I try to run the GS 2 hours monthly.

M&J, I am glad yours seems to work properly. I could have a lose wire someplace, and have not found it yet. As I mentioned in another post, there are three relays in the Tank Bay near the SL Computer, and I need to check those connections to make sure I dont have any wires which need reparing. The weather has been terrible, cold and wet, so being outside and working on it, has had no appeal recently. With May around the corner, I'm hoping our weather turns toward at least warmer, if not dryer as well, so I can do all the maintenance I have on my list.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #20
I changed out the Xantrex for a Magnum Energy ME 3112 and I have had no problems with anything in one year. Magnum Energy has great tech support too.The ME 3112 fits in the same mounting bracket fine and just drilled new holes to mount it with. Silverleaf can be programed to control the Magnum inverter, however I chose to use the Magnum controller instead and installed it in the bathroom vanity. It is simple to use and I just set my amps with a knob and it works fine and has digital read out.

One thing I found out when I removed the Xantrex was that WRV did not install the main ground wire to the lug on the right outside of the inverter to the frame. If I had to guess, mine was not the only one with no ground wire. The inverter was arcing (grounding) through the mounting bolts of the bracket to the frame.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
Something I will have to check, and that might be the reason we get this problem, bad ground. Oh, forgot, WRV=Alpines=bad grounds.