Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Genset Exhaust Bracket

Our exhaust bracket broke on the road. By the time I stopped to check things out after the "thump" the bracket looks like this.
Is this a welded attachment or am I missing more of the bracket.
Wired it up tight to get home, then realized at Flying J I had to open the slide!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1949844700.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	677.1 KB
ID:	46921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2426352057.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	625.9 KB
ID:	46922  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #2

Just put my coach back in to storage this morning otherwise I could have attached a photo of mine. That broken end is welded to a piece of sheet metal that is bolted to the side of the generator slide just above the exhaust pipe. The other end has a clamp that goes around the pipe. Unless you are using the generator I would detach the pipe at the generator exhaust outlet until you can get a new bracket made.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks. I thought it might have been a weld, but the metal it attaches to looks fairly thin. Of course it was raining when I had to crawl under the coach so I didn't stay on my back too long.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #4

Yes that plate it is welded to is thin and easily bends if you put any weight on it.
FYI. This is the hanger I replaced mine with.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Tom; Sorry to see your support bracket weld failed. I just bent mine and I removed it used a torch to heat and bent it back into shape painted it. I replaced the hanger and it works fine. It is an easy fix even you just have get someone to weld it for you.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
All that hardware must be removed on mine to change the genset oil and fuel filters, so each August I get to inspect it while doing that service. It's not too hard to fix, however, to be safe.

Disconnect all batter negative leads, and I would pull the plugs on the ECM for the transmission and Engine, and maybe even the vansco units, since welders use the frame to get the current to the weld point with a ground lead. Maybe just disconnecting the negative battery cables will be enough, I would also disconnect any solar panels leads so nothing is connected anywhere, those computer devices are expensive to replace and just turning off the master switches does NOT offer the necessary protection.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Monty, you don't weld it while attached to the coach. You unbolt it and do the welding in your garage.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Could not remember exactly where that bracket was, since I was not looking at it when post occurred, provided the warning just in case, and it's timely regardless I think. Seems to me saw sticker someplace on the coach to not weld on the frame without removing negative cables on battery, would disconnect solar power just to be safe so it's not fried.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys! I haven't been under the coach since we got home.....traveling too much. I suppose I'll wait for a cold day:-).
I am glad I can unbolt the bracket. That will put my mind at ease regarding the ECM's. Thanks for the reminder Monty.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Your welcome, we all in this boat together. Like your humor, might as well service genset if it's close to time while everything is apart anyway. I like to do it all at once, fuel filter, oil and filter, and a/f. But only do the FF every other year along with the a/f since I only use genset 300 hours or so during those two years. I do mine in August each year along with the coach. It's a greasy day when that takes place.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Pulled the bracket. In minutes. It was warm out too! Getting it welded now.

Funny, when I was under the coach on the road in the rain and with water running under my back and butt, the bracket looked very thin. It is actually about 1/4 to 3/8. It wasn't originally welded but the arm looked like it was one piece with the bracket.

Wish every fix was this easy:-)
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At the non-broken end of that angle iron is a strip of metal with many holes.. like Plumber's tape but much heavier.

This is a common Exhaust hanger bracket you can get at any auto parts store.

There may be an alternate place to bolt it.