RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Member
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 62
Getting wire from Battery Compartment to inside cabinet

Hi Guys,

I have looked and looked and can't find a thread that covers this subject.

So I will be installing a Battery Monitor (Victron 712) sometime next week which includes installing a Shunt and then a monitor cable to both House and Chassis banks........got this handled

As part of the installation I'll also need to run a cable up to the monitor location......which I would like to place in the cabinet with the current set of monitor lights in the upper cabinet next to the refrigerator in my 36 FDDS.

The question is.............is there an easy way to get a wire up to this location, or drop down as the case may be when running wires to this location??

Also will be installing a Progressive industries EMS-50 so I'll probably pull both wires at the same time.

Thanks in advance for the help.......Cheers and looking forward to meeting many of you in Quartzite
__________________

__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 760
If your 36 is like mine (2005) the bay door just forward of the rear wheels on the passenger side can be opened by removing 2 self tapping screws from the bottom. It will swing up like all the other basement doors, it just doesn't have the latch and gas shocks to hold it open. Those can be installed. This is where the holding tanks are located.



It will be pretty straight forward to run wires from the battery compartment, along the chassis rails, over the tanks and into the space behind the refrigerator. This will lead to the cabinet next to the refrigerator. I ran wires this way for a solar trickle charger and at the same time ran wires for a future solar installation.


I installed the PE EMS-50 between the cable at the end of the cable reel and the ATS. Perhaps you are talking about running the wire for the remote display up inside the coach? For now, I opted to leave the display in the basement near the power cord reel. I figured once we're powered up and everything checks out, there's no need to monitor the voltage and amperage.
__________________

__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:53 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Old Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 4,730
...yup, RVPioneer nailed it--wiring routes vary a bit by model and floor plan config. but generally speaking, there are several "opportunities" to get thru the floor behind the fridge. Challenge is getting in behind the fridge to complete the wire run--RR fridges are fairly easy to move out, RV fridges not so much. Rear bedroom closet[or washer/ dryer space] is another opportunity for access between basement and roof.....
__________________
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Member
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...yup, RVPioneer nailed it--wiring routes vary a bit by model and floor plan config. but generally speaking, there are several "opportunities" to get thru the floor behind the fridge. Challenge is getting in behind the fridge to complete the wire run--RR fridges are fairly easy to move out, RV fridges not so much. Rear bedroom closet[or washer/ dryer space] is another opportunity for access between basement and roof.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If your 36 is like mine (2005) the bay door just forward of the rear wheels on the passenger side can be opened by removing 2 self tapping screws from the bottom. It will swing up like all the other basement doors, it just doesn't have the latch and gas shocks to hold it open. Those can be installed. This is where the holding tanks are located.



It will be pretty straight forward to run wires from the battery compartment, along the chassis rails, over the tanks and into the space behind the refrigerator. This will lead to the cabinet next to the refrigerator. I ran wires this way for a solar trickle charger and at the same time ran wires for a future solar installation.


I installed the PE EMS-50 between the cable at the end of the cable reel and the ATS. Perhaps you are talking about running the wire for the remote display up inside the coach? For now, I opted to leave the display in the basement near the power cord reel. I figured once we're powered up and everything checks out, there's no need to monitor the voltage and amperage.
Thanks Guys......I'll get in there and take a look. I was thinking it must be close to the fridge

On the EMS front I bought the optional second display and plan to have one in service bay to monitor on hook-up and will run the second one to the cabinet so I can monitor usage and voltage (by leg) from inside the coach.

I'll post up some pics when I get in there.

Cheers!!
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Thanks Guys......I'll get in there and take a look. I was thinking it must be close to the fridge

On the EMS front I bought the optional second display and plan to have one in service bay to monitor on hook-up and will run the second one to the cabinet so I can monitor usage and voltage (by leg) from inside the coach.

I'll post up some pics when I get in there.

Cheers!!
I'm planning about the same install for the EMS on a 05, looking forward to your updates.
__________________
Angelo & Leslie
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:59 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 760
If you start by feeding the wires through the cabinet next to the refrigerator they should drop down behind the refrigerator where you can grab them and send them to their final destination.


If you happen to be 5' 10", 145lbs and moderately flexible, or have a small grandchild who may want some ice cream later, it is possible to get behind the refrigerator through the exterior vent door. You'll need to slide the refrigerator into the coach 4-6" depending on the size of your assistant. Be mindful mindful of electrical and plumbing connections. I pulled wires down from the roof, so you probably won't need to send the youngster in as far as I had to go.
__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Member
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
If you start by feeding the wires through the cabinet next to the refrigerator they should drop down behind the refrigerator where you can grab them and send them to their final destination.


If you happen to be 5' 10", 145lbs and moderately flexible, or have a small grandchild who may want some ice cream later, it is possible to get behind the refrigerator through the exterior vent door. You'll need to slide the refrigerator into the coach 4-6" depending on the size of your assistant. Be mindful mindful of electrical and plumbing connections. I pulled wires down from the roof, so you probably won't need to send the youngster in as far as I had to go.
This really helps!!!

Thanks so much!
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SoOC
Posts: 94
Suggest you view how to fish wires if you're not familiar. Remember, the tape that covers the 'hooks' eases the pull, which may need a reversal. I found it much easier than some home 'fishing'!
__________________
2007 Alpine SE 34FDDS
whalepirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Member
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
Suggest you view how to fish wires if you're not familiar. Remember, the tape that covers the 'hooks' eases the pull, which may need a reversal. I found it much easier than some home 'fishing'!
Thanks....familiar with fishing wires just looking for the correct path.......thanks everyone!
__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Auburn, CA, Havasu, AZ & Mulege, BCS
Posts: 5,300
An '08 owner recently ran a few wires to front of coach, but wanted to leave option to run a buncha wires. Using a hole saw, he cut a hole in the batt/wheel well bulkhead as near to the upper side of frame as his drill rig allowed; did same on the wheel/tank compartment bulkhead. Then he installed a 1" conduit.
Did same out of the forward basement compartment forward toward front of coach.

Now he can get wire anywhere to anywhere pulling thru that 1" pipe.
__________________
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
An '08 owner recently ran a few wires to front of coach, but wanted to leave option to run a buncha wires. Using a hole saw, he cut a hole in the batt/wheel well bulkhead as near to the upper side of frame as his drill rig allowed; did same on the wheel/tank compartment bulkhead. Then he installed a 1" conduit.
Did same out of the forward basement compartment forward toward front of coach.

Now he can get wire anywhere to anywhere pulling thru that 1" pipe.
Good idea. Maybe add a J-Box in a few spots to make a run up behind the refrigerator or cross over to the driver side. Suck a string through with a vacuum for future runs and you’re all set.
__________________
2005 Alpine Coach 36MDDS
2015 Grand Cherokee Diesel
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #12
Member
 
paul65k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
An '08 owner recently ran a few wires to front of coach, but wanted to leave option to run a buncha wires. Using a hole saw, he cut a hole in the batt/wheel well bulkhead as near to the upper side of frame as his drill rig allowed; did same on the wheel/tank compartment bulkhead. Then he installed a 1" conduit.
Did same out of the forward basement compartment forward toward front of coach.

Now he can get wire anywhere to anywhere pulling thru that 1" pipe.
Thanks Mike....great idea!!
__________________

__________________
Paul & Jean
2001 Alpine 36FDDS (350HP)
2006 Alpenlite 32RL Augusta
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
blue wire in battery compartment stryker17 Jayco Owner's Forum 5 02-20-2015 08:16 AM
Running wires from battery compartment to inside Geneandea Class A Motorhome Discussions 4 12-31-2014 10:12 PM
Need suggestion on getting a wire into the systems monitor cabinet dpinvidic Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum 7 10-18-2014 10:10 AM
Mystery Wire in Battery Compartment Barrier2 Monaco Owner's Forum 13 08-08-2012 07:26 PM
Blue Wire in Battery Compartment Jay Kurrle Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 5 07-02-2009 03:33 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.