Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Glass cover for ceiling "can lights"

Has anyone replaced any glass covers for the "can lights" used in the ceilings of '06 and newer coaches??? One of ours in the galley over the counter fell and broke and we need a replacement.
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #2

I've looked for just the glass and haven't found it. The lights are chinese made and come as the set. The small plastic tensioner buttons seem to wear & allow the lens to get loose. I'm down one so far in the living room, swapped for the lens by bedroom TV. When I'm down by one more, I'll start to look at LED replacements which include the whole fixture.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Mike! I didn't have time to research it so I won't even bother! We will have to look in the displays at FMCA to see if we can find the whole fixture. Ours fell off over the corner of the under cabinets - so not really crucial. Can't figure out what it hit to break it. The fruit basket sits under it! I think the one you switched yours with is the one that we (or anyone else) has not been able to remove!

See you in Salem!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #4

Full tile floor will guarantee a good level of fragmentation.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #5

Light covers

Swansnest I ordered replacement lenses from Camping World and according to the paper work I received with the lenses they received them from Northwest Trailer Supply in Eugene, OR. 866-678-7467 or 541-746-9092 The contact name is Britney. The part numbers are 18-2302 & 18-2303. I think 2302 is small lens and 3404 is large lens. Camping World charged me $17.37 & $20.97 plus $10,00 shipping.
NW Trailer Supply is a great place to find parts of all kinds. If you are in the area of Eugene it is worth a stop. They are right off I-5 but would advise not going in with an RV. Small area to turn around in and no parking for RV's.
Alpine Road Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I have not broken any lenses but I can't figure out how to remove the fixture. I bungged up the pins retaining the lens trying. Anybody know how to remove the whole fixture?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I also have a cover in the bathroom area that I can't get off. I have not tried to remove it with any tools because I am afraid of breaking the glass. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The glass disk is best removed with a thin foam "jar opener". I discard the gasket and grease the pins when replacing. However I need to remove the whole fixture.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I had started to make a post about the light lens on the later coaches, but wasn't satisfied with my fix. I did this while changing to LED lights. Now I think that this info may help some of you.

Rick,

The larger ceiling light cans on the later coaches mount with spring wings, they do pull out hard. The smaller ones have screws mounting them.

I was having trouble getting some of my lens off. After using a "jar opener" like Rick, I lubing them with silicone grease and found that they were still difficult. I also noticed that it was very hard to get the lens turned to where the tabs were in the recess in the lens that would lock them in. I then looked at the lock tabs and thought that I was having trouble getting the lens turned to the lock in point due to the square edge of the tabs on the "lock in side." I then trimmed the edge of the tabs to make a better ramp to twist the lens in. While doing this I found that on quite a few lens, that I though were locked in, that the tabs were ahead of the recess. At that point, even though they felt like they were locked in, I could pull them out.

Stock light mounting tab.

Trimmed light mounting tab.

Tape on lens at the recess for the tab to seat, I later found that with the light on I could see the spot with out the tape.

Top view of lens, the recessed area that allows the lens to push in past the tab shows on the right. The recess where the tab has to be to lock the lens in, is the light area just to the left of center.

This is a side view of the lens that shows the recess better.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Before attempting to remove the glass I want to confirm that these lens covers screw and not pull out. Also, is the thin foam jar opener that you refer to a round thin piece of rubber?

Jim
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Jim,

Yes and Yes. Both the small and large glass lens covers twist off. The wing, on the large lights and the screws on the small lights are to hold the whole assembly in. If you can't get a large lens loose, you can always pull out the whole assembly and then work on getting the lens off. The jar lid remover is just a thin piece of some sort of rubber and comes in many shapes.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote