Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #15

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
I wonder if the problem could be related to the inverter low charging current they were experiencing at QZ.

Did you take any pictures?

Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #16

As one of the henchmen who worked on their charging problem @ Qzite, this occurred to me. If the fire started w/the inverter there would be fire scar ahead of the DS rear tire when the diesel lines to the AquaHot melted, however the extent of subsequent fire damage may have obscured this. Hoping to see some pictures all around.

Seems like w/out 110v to the inverter (assumes not running the gen going down the road) there would be no source of significant heat. The failed 120mm intake fan on the inverter, and the non-responsive re-boot button were additional problems, tho again w/the engine charging batteries @ 13.9V for a buncha miles the inverter wouldn't have had much heat generation whether gen was running or not. Alternative theory- inverter's multiple symptoms were reflecting a more serious internal problem. I gave them a new 120mm 12v fan to install on the case blowing air in; don't know if that got installed before heading out from camp.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
To answer some of your questions:

The charger in the RS2000 and force charge was turned off before leaving Quartzsite and left off. The generator was never started after Quartzsite. The charging of the batteries was done by the alternator. The new AGM batteries held their charge just great.

They had no Aqua-Hot (Hydro-Hot).

The first material droppings from the rear of the engine area appeared to be from the breather area.

That's all for now. Still waiting for the investigation report.

Some things that all of us may need to consider are:

GET OUT QUICKLY. SURPRISED AT HOW LITTLE TIME THERE IS TO EXIT THE MOTORHOME.

Some type of excessive temperature monitoring system in the engine area and loud alarm.

Grab and Go Areas or Bags up front - cell phones, wallets, purses, cameras, computers, important papers, jewelry, keys or anything you want to save.

Non-locking hitch pins to quickly release tow bar and toad. Don't have time to unlock hitch pin when on fire.

Be sure to tell emergency personnel where LP tank and diesel tank are located. They don't always know.

Thanks again for your support.
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Certainly glad they are OK. As already noted, stuff can be replaced.

I learned a lot from a demonstration by Mac McCoy (Mac the Fire Guy) at a rally last year. Fridge and engine compartments are the most likely locations for an RV fire and, yes, time to escape is very short. Fighting an RV fire with most dry chemical extinguishers is generally a waste of time....spend your energy getting out!

Since we travel with two dogs and neither of us move as fast as when we were younger, I installed two of Mac's foam fire suppression systems on our rig...one in the fridge compartment and the other in the engine bay. In demonstration, they were very effective at stopping a very hot, fuel fed fire. All I want is to buy enough time for a safe escape and time to disconnect the toad.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
The alarm feature of the better engine-fire suppression system sounds like it would allow more time to pull over and escape before the fire was fully involved. By the time smoke is filling the interior, your escape time is nearly over.

Does anyone know how common this is with Alpines? With nearly 2000 on the road, I've heard of one reefer cusing full involvement (at some campground, mentioned on this forum) and two engine fires. Is it above normal for diesel pushers? Motorhomes in general?

Looks like peace of mind is gonna cost me $845 plus shipping.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
BTW, I sent Mac (the Fire Guy) an email inquiring about the best setup for our coaches, and inviting him to comment. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I installed the larger unit recommended by Mac for DP's. The cylinder can be mounted in any position other than upside-down and the dispensing nozzle is at the end of either a 3' or 4' stainless flexible line. In my case, I mounted the cylinder on the frame rail just below the engine with the nozzle mounted toward the fuel injector side of the engine (as recommended).

Since mine is a rear radiator configuration, the hope is that the pulling effect of the fan would help with distribution of the suppression agent throughout the engine compartment.

He also sells a remote temp monitoring device.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #22

Alpine Owners Club
Does Mac the fire guy have a website or is there someplace on-line that we can look at the different systems available?
Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
Does Mac the fire guy have a website or is there someplace on-line that we can look at the different systems available?

Here you go:

Fire and Life Safety
Old 02-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have been looking at how to do the fire suppression system install in the refrigerator compartment and engine compartment, and have communicated with Mac about it. Which model is in the picture of the Journey installation? And I would like to hear more and see a pic of the refrigerator compartment installation ...my compartment has such limited space ...
Old 02-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #25

I talked w/Chuck & Marca just now about the sequence of events. Nothing conclusive at this point; Marca said the progression of smoke was:
first white smoke, then brown, then black.
From the initial white smoke I'm suspecting aerosol diesel fuel against a hot engine part, maybe a broken common rail fuel line element spraying fuel.

The start may have been passenger side, rear of engine (got the fuel injection pump & common rail right there). The hydraulic oil tank may have been involved, and certainly the hydraulic lines to that tank melted (couldn't say if that was early or late in the 15 minute sequence).
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have been looking at how to do the fire suppression system install in the refrigerator compartment and engine compartment, and have communicated with Mac about it. Which model is in the picture of the Journey installation? And I would like to hear more and see a pic of the refrigerator compartment installation ...my compartment has such limited space ...
Paul, the unit in the fridge compartment is the SS-20, I believe. I also had no room to mount it with the included bracket so, after talking to Mac's supplier in Titusville, I removed the wire cage around the nozzle and used large cable ties to strap it to some of the plumbing. It has remained in place so far.

I want to say the model mounted in my engine bay is the ss-30? They come in two configurations; a cylinder with the nozzle attached at a right angle to the top of the cylinder (a sprinkler head). If you have room, you can mount that to the bottom of one of your engine bay covers. I did not have sufficient room for that so they swapped me for a model that has a remote head. That comes with either a 3' or 4' stainless reinforced hose. You have a lot more flexibility in mounting options with that set up.

Mac's supplier is in Florida. I don't still have his email address but I am sure Mac will supply it. That fellow in Florida will send you pics of various engine bay mounting schemes.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the pic of the refrigerator installation. I was thinking the SS30 or SS25 were the recommended models for refrigerator ... I didn't think I had enough room where you tied it. I was thinking against the rear wall of the compartment (rear as in rear of MH) might be the only place there was room. Thought maybe I might be able to catch Mac at a rally, but there don't appear to be any opportunities for that on our projected route this year.

ALthough I have had the Norcold recall kit installed, and a later cooling unit failure in which the kit shut the fridge down as it is supposed to, I still am more concerned about a refrigerator fire than an engine fire ... but obviously, either can happen!!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
Some thoughts on this incident:
Cummins had a recall on fuel line breakage and I hope they had the recall performed.

Since it appears that it started in the engine compartment, my second suggestion is way out on a limb, but:

Everyone knows that WRV's quality control was poor on electrical connections, so every time I open up a compartment, and work in that area, I check every wire connection I can get to, to ensure itís tight. When working on the batteries, I always check all the connections on the batteries, and everything I can get a wrench on. I use an insulated tool so I don't draw a spark. You would be surprised (maybe you would not) at how many lose connections I am still finding and we have owned the coach for almost two years now. Vibration I'm sure are causing some of them so this is an ongoing issue. However, the Surge Guard/Transfer Switch, and inverter connections should be checked at least once every six months based on the aforementioned vibration cause stated above. Please note, the connections in the SG/TS and on the inverter most likely have some "inch-pound" torque values which should be addressed. A 1/4" drive inch-lb torque wrench should be used; harbor freight has one of good enough quality to carry with you to do those jobs. I urge everyone to continue to check electrical connections on a regular basis. If you have not checked the junction box in the generator area, please have it done soon.

I am glad no one had any injuries on this fire.

The foam fire system is a great idea, and is the best option based on many hours of RV study in this area.