Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #29

Alpine Owners Club
We're late in reading this, but know that Tommy & Ella are in our thoughts and prayers, and I thank God that they are okay. It is so fortunate that Chuck & Marca were traveling with them and that Marca noticed the fire. We'll keep watch here for more updates.

gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
Unhappy

Donna & I are glad to hear that Tommy and Ell are safe and we our sorry to hear about the fire. We know some things can not be replaced but you still have the memories and your health. Our hearts and prayers go out to you.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All:

Mac sent me the following reply to my questions as concern installing an engine fire suppression system (at reefer). Hope it helps everyone:

Milton, I read all the posts, and I'm so glad the couple made it out OK. I do not want to violate any of your rules, so I'll keep this brief. We have both a horizontal and vertical HALON extinguisher for the fridge and 2 types for the engine bay. The SS200 is a 3L totally self contained unit that goes off at 285 degrees. One model has a 90 degree head with the body installed horizontal. If your bed is a North South bed and you open it to get to the engine it would mounted on the bottom of the bed. You can also mount it to the trap door to the engine if you have 9" of clearance from the bottom of the door to the engine. If nothing else works we have a SS200R that has a 2' steel hose with the head located on the end. The bottle can be placed anywhere and the head over the passenger side of the engine. If any one needs more information they can call me at 503 559 7623 or email me at mac@macthefireguy.com.
Thanks Mac.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #32

Alpine Owners Club
I have some photos of the fire to post. Can someone tell me how to or point me to the instructions to do so? Thanks!
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck & Marca View Post
I have some photos of the fire to post. Can someone tell me how to or point me to the instructions to do so? Thanks!
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...tml#post477709
post 7

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
Here are some photos of the fire. The first photo was taken as the fire expanded when it became apparent that efforts to save the motorhome with handheld fire extinguishers were futile. Until then, everyone was too busy to think about photos. By the time the fire department arrived (approx. 45 minutes after the initial call), most of the motorhome had been destroyed.

Note: The propane tank was intact. The inside of that compartment did not have any damage to the paint except for a little smoke discoloration.

The diesel tank was intact except for the fill hose being burned off of it.

The towing company had discussed cutting the frame into three pieces but after looking more closely decided to nix that idea. Instead, they lifted the frame with the wrecker and dropped it to see if it were going to buckle. They then decided they could tow it if they replaced the passenger front wheel and tire which they did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300688.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	2967   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300692.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2968  

Name:	P1300695.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2969   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300700.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2970  

Name:	P1300705.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2971   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310713.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	2972  

Name:	P1310727.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	2974   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1310743.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2975  

Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Those are scary pictures. Glad you got stopped and out ok. Hope you can come up with a reason the fire started. Again glad you are ok.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #36

Alpine Owners Club
WOW...Those pictures are tough to look at. I can't imagine what it would be like to stand there and watch your coach destroyed right before your eyes. Like everyone else has said, I'm sure glad everyone got out safely. Those pictures qualify as a nightmare !
Old 02-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
How much time passed between when you exited the coach and the final picture was taken?? Why did it take so long for the FD to arrive? Distance??

So glad you were both safe! Very scary pics!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
Chuck & Marca, thanks for posting the pictures. They are very scary, but a testimonial on the value of installing a fire suppression system in the engine compartment. I bought one a year ago, and we've been carrying it around all this time in our basement. After reading this thread, before even seeing the pictures, I started to badger John to get it installed. I made just a little progress this weekend, when he looked at installation sites with Dave Fernandez, and they both agreed that it was going to be tough to get it in there with our 2007 configuration. Well, I'm determined more than ever now that I've seen the pictures, so we'll find someone who can put that puppy in for us.

Again, we're so very thankful that Tommy & Ella got out okay!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was very struck by these pictures to see NOTHING standing much above floor level, even in the cab area. I reviewed some other fire pictures I have and found the same in another Alpine fire. I have pictures of a Beaver that burned and left metal wall frames all the way around, and a Winnebago that left metal structure around the cab area. Does the Alpine have any metal/aluminum/etc framework in the walls? I can see aluminum perhaps getting hot enough to melt, but saw no evidence of any in the pictures except for a bit of short height framewook in the lounge area.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:51 PM   #40

Alpines, and most motorhomes of this type have all welded aluminum frames for the house. IIRC, Winnies use a steel tube frame around the driver area, then aluminum behind. With the temps in a fire of this type, aluminum tube will burn. Maybe it is actually only melting, but the difference is without distinction when looking at the result. After a fire, the coach is consumed. Walls skinned outside w/polyester based resin and glass fiber, filled w/foam insulation, skinned inside w/luan plywood and filled w/wood or sood based cabinets, etc., etc., means its all flammable except for some metal that will melt.

It appears the above fire was exacerbated by either fuel or hydraulic fluid, or both that kept the fire from being controlled by ordinary dry-chem type extinguishers.