Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Good News - Everyone is OK, Bad News Motorhome is NOT

Just wanted to do a quick post and let you know that Tommy and Ella's motorhome was totally destroyed by fire at Exit 62 on I-10 in New Mexico this morning. They are OK and escaped with only the clothes on their backs, her cell phone, and their toad.

All that is known at this time is that the fire was in the engine compartment. The staff at the Exxon station at the exit was very helpful as well as all the law enforcement and fire department(s) personnel involved.

It was a very sad sight to see it burn. All efforts were made with every fire extinguisher available in the truck stop and restaurant but to no avail. The propane tank did not explode and neither did the diesel fuel tank which was 3/4 full. They had stopped out in a parking area and were a safe distance from the pumps. Very few vehicles were in the parking area at the time.

We all plan to continue on to their home in the morning. Please include them in your prayers.

2006 Alpine FDQS Apex
"The Butterfly Express II"
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I am sorry to here such sad news. It is nice to know that no one was injured though. I can only wish that their insurance company comes through for them.

Safe travels the rest of the journey home.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
So sad, they are in our prayers .
Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:28 AM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is sad news but It's good to hear they are OK.

I always wondered how useful that little extinguisher would be. Maybe it's time I look into something more substantial.
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Every week there are fires in RVs and for a lot of them it's a total loss. When a fire breaks out reaction time to extinguish is crucial.

I'm not taking any chances, so I have 3 fire extinguishers in my motor home, 1 near the door, 1 in the bedroom and a larger one in the last storage compartment on the right hand side of the motorhome, the closest to the rear engine.

I also have another one in the toad.
Monaco Diplomat
jacmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Thank you Marca. We are so grateful that you and Chuck were with them. The coach is only stuff. What is important is that the 4 of you are ok. Had you parked closer your coach could have gone too. Hugs to all of you.

Sue & Basil
Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
What year and model of coach did Tommy and Ella have?
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Our prayers are with you. I know how devestating a fire can be. We had one 2 years ago in our home. Glad no one was injured.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
Thank God everyone is OK. Please give them our best. Scary for all of us. Guess this puts our "problems" with the water pump in perspective!
2005 40' Limited FDTS

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
What a horrible tragedy, but point well taken that everyone is okay. I hope that your insurance etc. helps your horrific disaster somewhat easier in that things go as smoothly as possible. Whatever smooth is at this point. If there might be anything that we might be able to offer please do not hesitate to ask. Please keep us posted so we know how you folks are progressing. I do feel that everyone in the forums, associations, etc. are extremely interested in your progress and recouping yourselves from this tragedy.
Our prayers and best wishes to you all.
Ted & Carol Ulmer
2005 Alpine 34', 34FDDS
2006 PT Turbo pusher
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
That's scary!
I have seen the steel fuel line snap from vibration on two M.H.'s. I wonder if that was what happened here?
Glad every one is OK.
Did they know it was on fire when they stopped?
Dan and Patty
"04" Alpine 34' FDDS
Saratoga, CA
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank God everyone is OK and there was support nearby to help you deal with this tragedy.

Just looked up fire extinguishers on the net and found this link for an extinguisher that does not leave residue that can cause even more problems after the fire is out.

HalGuard Automotive Fire Extinguishers | H3R Performance

A little pricey but well worth the investment.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #13
Also check out Fire and Life Safety, in particular the automatic engine compartment systems. Those systems would detect the fire and trigger automatically. There are also some great articles on his website. Worth reading.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Alpine Owners Club
Just a note to let you know that we all arrived home safe and sound today. Ella and Tommy wanted me to let you know that they appreciate all of the support you have shown and the telephone calls, messages received.

To answer some of your questions:

Currently the fire is being investigated to try to determine what may have started it. When the investigation is complete, the results will certainly be shared. Until then only guessing and speculation as to what happened exists.

Tommy and Ella had no idea it was on fire when they exited the interstate. There was no evidence of smoke inside the motorhome. I (Marca) noticed it at the rear and initially thought it was an engine problem but as they turned into the truck stop, I told Chuck it looked to be on fire. Ella was exiting the motorhome as Chuck ran back with our large extinguisher in his hand to tell them to get out. Within approximately 30 seconds to one minute of time of Ella opening the front door, the inside was filled with toxic smoke from the rear. It was a complete surprise to all of us how little time one has to get out. It is a miracle that they were able to get out alive.

The motorhome was a 2007 - 34' FDDS Limited SE.

That's all that is known for now. Thanks for the prayers.

2006 Alpine FDQS Apex
"The Butterfly Express II"
Marca is offline   Reply With Quote