Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
What kind of results have you folks had with the Good Sam Continued Service Plan extended warranty?

Since WRV abandoned us, we are exploring our options.

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #2

What kind of results have you folks had with the Good Sam Continued Service Plan extended warranty?

Since WRV abandoned us, we are exploring our options.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #3

I haven't had a claim yet, but I've talked extensively with the folks at Good Sam with very poor results regarding how they were going to handle those of us with a "new coach" policy. I sent them a copy of WRV's Limited Warranty that clearly states that WRV only covers the "box and the frame upon which it sits" for the 3 year/36,000 mile coverage. I've tried evey form of logic to convince them that WRV explicitly states that they do not cover any component that they did not build. These components are covered by the component manufacturer for various periods. Good Sam has taken the position that they do not care about anything other than the fact that they will not cover anything until the 3 year/36,000 miles period expires. Where that leaves us, is when a component's warranty period is up, say in the case of a one year limited warranty, Good Sam will still not cover that item until after the 3 year/36,000 mile period has passed.

The bottom line, Good Sam wants those of us with the "new coach" policies to drop them and buy a "used coach" policy. Cancel your present policy, take what ever the refund on the portion is, and then turn around and spend more for an even lesser policy.

I'm about to sign on with Bill Schrieber at Guaranty for the United States Warranty plan. These people understand what the WRV 3 year/36,000 mile warranty plan really means and they cover a bunch of items that the CSP can't even come close to.

I am really disappointed with the people at Good Sam, I expected more from them. They definitely are not a class act. If it is this difficult to get them to understand the language of WRV's warranty just imagine what a thrash it would be to go through a claim with them. Incidentally, they don't cover radiators, gaskets or seals on the "used coach" policies either -- U.S Warranty and another firm, Protective do. The failure of any of one of these three items will more than pay for your policy. Something to give serious thought...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
JOD

I have researched these extended service contracts from time to time and have had a couple of them. I have seen complaints on here about almost all of them but I have not heard any mention of USA Travel Care. This is a very reputable company that has been in business for 22 years and is backed by an insurance company in case they go broke. This is the only company I know of who will offer you a "new" service contract on our new coaches which is the 7 year/75000 miles warranty starting from the day you buy it. Even though it says it doesn't cover items under factory warranty like the other ones do, I got an RV Addendum letter that says "By paying a small service charge the USA Travel Care Plan-Administrator agrees to waive the contract exclusion found in the section where it says, Repairs covered under the original manufacturer's warranty are not covered." It also covers all components including flat screen tv's, slideouts, towing, and is a $50 decuctible except maintenance and wear & tear. I purchased mine from I-5 Uhlmann RV in Chehalis. If anyone would like more information, PM me at jean17dan@comcast.net.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #5

I have bought a new Winnebago and a used Beaver from I-5 Uhlmanns and both were purchased with the extended warranty and I believe both were from USA travel care. The used beaver needed attention over the last year and there was no problem with the extended warranty and I did like the zero deductible. Even though the warranty are not the most inexpensive thing to buy at least I know my fixed cost up front and no surprise down the road. Were looking at an Alpine now and I most certainly will buy a warranty again. Hope this helps some one.....
Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #6

PL, If you are seriously looking at an Alpine, you better get a good warranty from some body. I bought my Alpine new last Sept., and have had an awful lot of problems.

If you want to talk, send me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Jim
Old 07-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #7

We have '09 Alpine delivered in February of this year. When WRV closed, we contacted Good Sam CSP and were told they would honor their plan BEFORE our three year warranty expired, in spite of what the terms in their advertising material state. In June I asked for a letter ("put it in writing") to that effect which Good Sam CSP rep promised to send. To date, we have not received that letter nor have we purchased their plan. Bob2 2009 34'
Old 07-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #8

Thanks for your response. They were supposed to call me back, TWO WEEKS AGO, to talk to me about purchasing a CSP. I guess if they can't be bothered to call me to sell me the plan, they will probably not be very responsive if I am trying to get money out of them.

Also there have been a lot of unfavorable reviews on IRV2 and the rv.net forums, not only about Good Sam but all extended warranties or service contracts from anybody.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #9

big jimbo,

I don't quite agree with the statement:

"Also there have been a lot of unfavorable reviews on IRV2 and the rv.net forums, not only about Good Sam but all extended warranties or service contracts from anybody."

We had a radiator failure just before WRV closed. We had slightly less than two years and 28000 miles on our '06 Alpine. When it was new, we bought a 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty from Monaco Coach Corporation, administered by Prism Solutions. We supplied a copy of the WRV warranty showing it covered only the box and frame, and didn't cover the radiator, and Monaco/Prism covered the radiator, less our $200 deductible. Just about paid for the extended warranty. They did do an inspection on the radiator before authorizing the replacement, which took about a day to schedule and perform. This was due to the fact it was potentially a $4000 job.

This was our first experience using the extended warranty but with a little dialogue and a copy of the warranty it was relatively painless. So our experience has been positive, and we have developed a relationship with Monaco/Prism's claims manager and his claims representatives such that when the next issue comes up we don't expect a major problem.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Just as a matter of - "FYI" - Wednesday 2 hours into the start of our journey to Hinckley our Alternator went out just as we were coming into Barstow.

First we called Cummins and were told that WRV had installed it & it was not part of the engine. We called Coach Net to find out where to take it and they made an appointment for us to take it to the machanic at TA. We also called CSP & related our situation and that we were going to pay for it and submit the claim for reimbursment. They just asked that TA fax them the Paid Invoice. We were back on the road in 4 hours. The gentleman on the line was very responsive and related that they were "overwhelmed with claims". He said that they did not know what was going on but that they were really behind because they had so many RV Claims.

Now of course, that was "just talk" and the real test will be whether we get reimbursed when we get home in a month!

Tris says he is buying an alternator to take with us so he can "change it" if it happens again. (Of course none of the spare parts we carry are what goes out when traveling!)
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Swansnest - You guys have the same coach as we do. we should compare notes, but we don't have many miles on ours yet, 6700 or so I think. Let see, the Hydro Hot does not provide hot water, the front air bags don't deflate-don't know about this one yet-the exhause brake does not work-might need new batteries because of the fill system-the 10watt solar panel is toast, and could be discharging the batteries, or causing the charge to keep running. I'm sure there are more, but aside from the recommended fixes posted herein to this board, nothing yet. Dealer informed us the Extended warranty we purchased won't be honored by Co, so they want us to get USA Travel Care. Did a search-seven pages of disatisfied customers - decline on extended warranty - but wait, they are supposed to have appointment with Good Sam, and explain the WRV warranty in a talk. If they can work it out, we would take that one most likely.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:28 AM   #12

RV'er- My 10 watt solar panel was also toast within a short time after purchase of my coach. And, of course, my batteries kept running down. When I had a tech check the system he confirmed that the bad solar panel was in fact putting a drain on the batteries. Either disconnect it or replace it!
Old 07-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Monty & Janet - We are sorry to hear about all of your troubles with your Apex. We ordered ours through Guaranty and all of our service work was through them. And to this date, they are the only ones we have let work on it (other than Tris). (Also Kaiser in Eugene did the alignment!)

We have not had problems with the same components you have had. We put in Life Line AGM batteries from the start so have not had any problems at all with that system.

One of the reasons to go to the FMCA Rallies is to get the manufacturers of the different componets to fix what you are havinbg problems with - most of the time at no cost. Also at the Alpine Rallies you have other owners to help you with solutions they have found that work to fix problems!

We are in MN at the start of the ACA Rally in Hinckley and then will go to the FMCA Rally in St Paul. We are coming home (to CA) via Oregon to see our grandkids in Newburg. If you are in the area and want to meet, PM us and we will see what can be worked out. We hope you are going to the NoWaca Rally this week in Canyonville - maybe you can get help there.

We LOVE our Apex and hope that you get your problems resolved so that you can enjoy it. We turned over 22K miles on this trip - 1 month shy of 2 years

!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

Old Rver
Have you tried adjusting the mixer valve in the back of your Hydro Hot. If your setting are like mine you need to set it to where the Number 1 is facing you as you look from the back. If that's not hot enough turn it some more. Mine was way too HOT when we got the coach. I used a meat thermometer and set it at 115 degrees.
Nick

Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote