Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Good Sam Travel Assist

Has anyone had any experience good or bad or any comments on this GS program??

Geoff

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have GS and on 3 of our 4 breakdowns they left us sitting for 4 hours before a tow truck showed up. I blame All State, GS's subcontractor, they refuse to pay what towing companies rates and only when they have run out of options do they finally cough up the money.

We have had AAA for 16 years on our cars, so I upgraded to RV Premiere and will not renew with GS. I might go with Coach Net as a backup as they seem to have a better organized operation from what I have read on different forums where this topic is discussed.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 01:13 PM   #3

In the stuff GS sent me it looks like this is a health plan that will take care of everything everywhere. I took this to mean if I am in Mexico or Europe or wherever if I had a heart attack and the bill is 300000 $ they would pay. When I called they said "oh no this is not a health insurance . We will fly you back home for treatment." This is what I get with my regular health plan so it is a useless extra expense!

Geoff
Old 01-31-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Travel Assist not Roadside Assist

I am looking at this now. A couple years ago, I suffered a torn hamstring while performing my rescue diving duties at a boat race. I was pretty concerened about towing our 43' toy hauler the 800 mile journey back home. Of course it was my right leg and the movement of mashing the accelerator was very painful. DW didn't drive nor was she licensed to drive the rig. That's really not an option for her. Luckily, after a lot of meds, I woke up the next day to a slightly better prognosis. I could barely manage to drive the rig, and we made it home over the next few days. It made me start thinking about if something worse happened, getting everybody home, DW, dogs, and RV. This insurance seems pretty cheap ($69 / year) if it realy does what it is supposed to. Anybody have any personal experience or ever needed this type of assistance?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry Alpine Owners. I found this with a search and I didn't realize that I posted this in the Alpine forum. I will re-post in an appropriate forum.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #6

If you are a member of FMCA this is once again a free benefit. FMCA stop providing this benefit for a couple of years, but it has now been brought back by popular demand. This makes the membership fee very attractive. ACA members are supposed to be FMCA members.

Jim Durley
Alpine 40' MDTS
Old 02-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Durley View Post
If you are a member of FMCA this is once again a free benefit. FMCA stop providing this benefit for a couple of years, but it has now been brought back by popular demand. This makes the membership fee very attractive. ACA members are supposed to be FMCA members.

Jim Durley
Alpine 40' MDTS
Thanks Jim. I looked into their rules. One of their conditions is that you must be evacuated or transported or deceased before they will pay to have your RV driven home. GS's doesn't have that restriction. In fact they will even fly a friend or family member to you, to drive for you, and you can ride with them. This would be in case you were injured or physically impaired, but not requiring hospitalization or deceased.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

FWIW,

A friend of mine with GS broke down in Nov. and had to be towed. He and his wife sat beside the road for 3-4 hr. Two guys showed up in the tow truck even though he had told them specifically that he and his wife were in the MH.

Long story short, they both had to ride in the MH while it was being towed and when they arrived at the repair shop the generator slide was out a couple of inches and the gen slide track was bent to the point that it wouldn't open or close. They also had to put blocks under the wheels to get the tow bar(?) out from under the front end. The repair shop documented the damage for them and pointed it out to the tow drivers.

Terry

Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel