Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
What's a PS table..? I'm at a loss..

Thanks..Stan

Ok Thanks for clearing that up for me...

Unless you have just come to the point of hating your arrangement I doubt that you'll like the price of doing all that. I have done two complete remodels and it's very expensive even if you are equipped to do everything yourself.

My WAG to hire all you listed updated would be $25K or more. Professionally and tastefully done of course... Any less and I would have to see some work they had previously done, before I let them touch my coach. Theres a "lot" of work to do all that, and at no little expense for materials.

From the pics (which don't always show everything) your present arrangement still looks very nice to me.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to get a new table and love seat to match the rest...(much cheaper). Maybe some different flooring at the same time. That would freshen things up a lot and still give you the seating changes you desire....for many less $$$

I was invited to go to the Ft Worth RV show a couple of weeks ago (as a consultant) with my brother who bought a new 5th Wheel and Dodge Diesel that week. I declined to go. I love our coach...but know that there are many out there that are "soooo" beautiful I might feel like mine wasn't top shelf any more....if I looked at all the new hot models.

I don't think it is possible to ever have one that couldn't be improved on...even a custom Prevost.

....Stan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:19 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Tom,

I just bought a fireplace loop DVD and play it on the plasma screen!! Nice on a rainy day. Much cheaper than the actual fireplace.
Now that's the way to go! Can I borrow the DVD?

SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpursMVP View Post
Now that's the way to go! Can I borrow the DVD?
Sure! This is the one I have. Amazon also sells them.

Ambient Fire: Video Fireplace DVD - Premium Fake Fireplace DVD

Back to the subject of this thread.

My '04 coach has the Tuscan Maple finish. IIRC, it is actually maple wood, and they used two different maple stains in '04. Tuscan was the darker one. I thought the lighter one was too light. Cherry was an option, with three different stains. The cherry colors looked too formal for our tastes. But much classier.

For what it is worth, some Alpine friends of ours replaced their tile floor a few years ago, and I think it was somewhere between 3 and 4 kilobucks.

But I agree with the idea of upgrading what you have instead of buying something else. It won't be cheap, but likely cheaper.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I'm sure we didn't get the "best" price around, but just to give you an idea...we replaced our tile flooring w/cherry hardwood from living room through bedroom for $6,000. Also, added the MCD American Duo interior shades for windshield (automatic) and dining/living room (manual) for about $3,000. This did not include the drivers or passenger side windows. So, there's $9,000 for just those items.

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #19

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Ingrid McIntosh View Post
.....we replaced our tile flooring w/cherry hardwood from living room through bedroom.........
I sure would like to see some pictues of your wood flooring. I would like to do the same thing one day to reduce the weight of our all tile coach. TILE IS HEAVY. Duh!
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Basil & Sue,

We've got lots of pictures of the coach at http://www.ouralpine.weebly.com

We're really happy with how it turned out. They installed the boards diagonally, which we think looks very nice. We haven't had the coach weighed since installing the wood flooring, but it's got to be a pretty big difference.

Jim & Ingrid

Brandywine
Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
I believe my cabinets are the natural stain per the brochure but the type of wood isn't specified. I've assumed it was oak.
I read (a few years ago) that the wood was Ash and also found a pencil scrawl in a cabinet that said "Ash". Later I called WRV and they said my build was, indeed Ash, with the "Natural" stain. Apparently they used Minwax for the finish. My cabinets are too grainy to be Maple but not grainy enough to be oak.

The 2003 brochure says the cabinets were hardwood in Natural or Walnut Stain finish or Solid Cherry (as an option). It could be that WRV used whatever hardwoods were available and therefore never committed it to the brochure.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post

The 2003 brochure says the cabinets were hardwood in Natural or Walnut Stain finish or Solid Cherry (as an option). It could be that WRV used whatever hardwoods were available and therefore never committed it to the brochure.

The 2004 brochure said "Maple hardwood cabinetry" as the standard. I got a good match using a piece of maple from Home Depot and the right stain, so I am assuming it really was maple. (And yes, I know what assuming does! )
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
The previous owner ...... added had a set of cabinets along the PS wall to look like a continuous line of cabinets from the desk to the mirrors.
Wow! I'd like to see that. I've always liked the newer coaches with the credenza/buffet style tabletop. Seems like it would work great along the PS wall, without taking up much room. Do you (or Dwight) have pictures?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Kustom Coach Works, Junction City, OR - 541-501-3371, talk to Bobby Vodden. He is going to make some extra cabinets for our passenger side aft of the Co-pilot chair all the way to our mid door, with file drawers, computer slide out tray, sliding dining table, etc. All new LED light bulbs for all the interior fixtures, and maybe a few other little things. Bill came to less than 2500 smackers, so we are real pleased on that. He said once we give him a date we can arrive, he will have everything ready and it will only take two days for the work to be completed. Have several examples of his work in other alpine coaches, so they do great work.

We just finished the DRR-X Rally and saw his work, and he took measurments at that time for the work.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
Kustom Coach Works, Junction City, OR - 541-501-3371, talk to Bobby Vodden. He is going to make some extra cabinets for our passenger side aft of the Co-pilot chair all the way to our mid door, with file drawers, computer slide out tray, sliding dining table, etc. All new LED light bulbs for all the interior fixtures, and maybe a few other little things. Bill came to less than 2500 smackers, so we are real pleased on that. He said once we give him a date we can arrive, he will have everything ready and it will only take two days for the work to be completed. Have several examples of his work in other alpine coaches, so they do great work.

We just finished the DRR-X Rally and saw his work, and he took measurments at that time for the work.
Very reasonable, be sure and post some pics.

Many times it's easier to build from scratch than refinish old cabinets. I usually build new doors and reface the base cabinets. Counter cabinets are a toss up some times because of the door cost. Also depends on the stain that is being taken down. If you are replacing dark stain with a lighter stain ...still better to use new doors. Either way the base cabinets are refaced or refinished, depending on the quality of the original construction. All bets are off if a hardwood wasn't used originally.

Stan..
Old 01-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Takepride, here are pictures of my PS cabinets that I believe the previous owner had installed for possibly as much as $5000 (based on his receipts). Let me know if you think they're original WRV cabinets.

Original WRV Computer Desk
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1772.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	7945

Cabinets Added

Name:	HPIM1773.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	7946

Cabinets Added Plus Dining Table

Name:	HPIM1774.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	7947
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Bob:

I'm not sure if those are original. My computer desk, while similar, has two tops (one over the drawers and a lower one for the triangle desk), both Karadon tops and no drawer at an angle.

The previous owner said they had them made, but in the video they made at pick up, they were already installed. Due to the matching Karadon tops and the exact wood/stain match, I'm fairly sure they probably ordered them before the coach was built and WRV installed them.

The side of the desk ends 1" from the floor heating grate. The lower top fits about the bottom of the window valance/frame with a gutter for wires, etc. hidden under the top and valance. The three drawers facing out look the same. My dining table is identical.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #28

Looks like Davis Cabinet's work to me.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote