Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

gray tank sensor stopped working

My gray tank sensor worked fine until recently. I never did understand how it worked, as you could adjust the setting if you chose to. When it was empty, I set it so the 2nd light would just come on so when the 5th light came on, I knew it was time to dump.

Now, the reading stays where I set it and doesn't move. How do the sensors work in the gray tank, and, what could be causing the failure?

I saw some posts about replacing some module but wasn't clear about wiring, etc.

Any thoughts?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Might want to be sure the probes / sensors are not dirty. Look at solutions from this link on previous threads

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/clean...ors-88157.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/clean...rs-131246.html

CC
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

The problem is with the gray tank... not the black tank. And... it seems that most problems involve sensors being dirty and indicating that the level is higher than it really is. Mine appears to not register as the level gets higher in the tank.

Also, I'm not clear how the sensor works on mine. It's looks to me like there are not fixed sensors in the tank because the monitoring can be changed at the gauge on the panel. For example, I can adjust the indicator on the gauge so it shows half full when it is actually empty, if I choose.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #4

Unlike many other brands, on my '04 and I would assume your '05, there are no sensor probes inside the tanks to get contaminated. Cleaning the tank is not likely to fix your problem. There is a strip glued to the outside of the tank that measures capacitance changes depending on the fill level. I assume you are adjusting the reference capacitance when you "calibrate" the gauge. I would bet that the sensor has come loose. One of mine (the black tank) had come loose, with more than half of the sensor not in contact with the tank. If you take the access cover off in the maintenance compartment, you will see the sensors on the side of the tank.

I replaced mine a number of years ago with the SeeLevel gauge. Much improved reliability and more resolution, with increases measuring in 3 and 4% incriments from 0 to 100%. Worth every penny. It also works by attaching a sensor to the outside of the tank and measuring capacitance changes. Not all that difficult to install.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I replaced mine a number of years ago with the SeeLevel gauge.
Which model did you buy? Sure are lots of choices!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #6

I bought the 709-PH model. It measures the fresh, gray, and black tank levels, plus the LPG and a digital voltmeter. It has a switch for the water pump and the hot water heater. I never used the hot water heater switch, as the existing one is on the other side of the coach.

SeeLeveL Gauges by Garnet Instruments Ltd. - Model 709-PH

The links on the web page will allow you to look at the installation and shop manuals for the unit. They explain how it works.

IIRC you need to specify that you need a 3-way switch for the water pump unless you have installed a water pump relay, which I never did.

The 709 panel is smaller than the existing panel. I cut a 1/4" thick wood panel the size of the existing tank gauge to cover the hole and then cut a hole in it to accommodate the 709 panel.

My gray water tank is L shaped and was taller than the 12" limit for one sensor. I bought a second one to combine the two as described in the manual. If I was doing it again I could consider just using one 12" sensor, and know I had a little safety margin when the tank says it is full. The 12" sensors are fine for the black tank and the fresh water tanks.

Tags
tank