Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Grey Water Indicator

I screwed up and left the grey tank get to full. Now the grey tank inidicator on my Silverleaf does not read anything. No problems with dumping. Any ideas?

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex FDQS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Send in frogmen, maybe Seal Team 6- they have the technology.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #3

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebrunold View Post
I screwed up and left the grey tank get to full. Now the grey tank inidicator on my Silverleaf does not read anything. No problems with dumping. Any ideas?

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex FDQS
I would suspect your grey water sensor has gone bad but I can't imagine why a full tank would hurt it. Do you have the new brass sensors instead of the WRV installed plastic ones?

You might try cycling DC power off & back on to reset Silverleaf.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #4

Don't know about the sensors. Where are they located? I recycled the Silverleaf-no help
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #5

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Don't know about the sensors. Where are they located? I recycled the Silverleaf-no help
You have a sensor screwed into a threaded fitting at the bottom of the grey, black and fresh tanks. You will see wiring connected to each sensor which connect them to a Silverleaf box in the tank bay. The original sensors were plastic and very unreliable. The next generation sensor is brass and requires a reprograming of the Silverleaf box.

You might try disconnecting and reconnecting the grey tank sensor.

If all else fails, Silverleaf would have some troubleshooting ideas.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

I replaced my sensors with the brass and reprogramed it and agree with everything Basil said. I think Silverleaf sells the brass sensors. I did have my Silverleaf box reprogramed but because of the shape of the grey tank, but it is not accurate. I did calibrate the tank gauge on my Silverleaf to zero, but it is still not accurate. I ended up starting with an empty tank and measuring buckets of water for 1/4, 1/2/, 3/4 and full and wrote down my percentage on my Silverleaf. For me this was the most accurate.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #7

The only thing I might add, you could try taking the sensor out and cleaning it. The other thing you could do switch with the black tank sensor, since you probably would not fill it up. Like Basil said they have problems with those plastic sensors and you will probably have to replace them sometime.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your help. The sensor is bad. I took it out and cleaned it and it started working, However, when I dumped the tank it still remained showing the level I started with. I spoke with Mark at Silverleaf and he stated the sensor;s are high failure and need to be replaced, I will be in Oregon in Sept and have all (3) replaced and reprogramed. Until then, does anyone know where I might get one of the older type sensors for a replacement? Plus in my working with the tanks I determined the switch to switch from Grey to black is bad and I can't flush my black tank. Anyone know the part # availability etc. of this switch? Mark did tell me I could change the black sensor to the grey. However, I have second thoughts that I may end up with (2) not working instead of one.

Thanks again

Joe
Old 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to all for your help. The sensor is bad. I took it out and cleaned it and it started working, However, when I dumped the tank it still remained showing the level I started with. I spoke with Mark at Silverleaf and he stated the sensor;s are high failure and need to be replaced, I will be in Oregon in Sept and have all (3) replaced and reprogramed. Until then, does anyone know where I might get one of the older type sensors for a replacement? Plus in my working with the tanks I determined the switch to switch from Grey to black is bad and I can't flush my black tank. Anyone know the part # availability etc. of this switch? Mark did tell me I could change the black sensor to the grey. However, I have second thoughts that I may end up with (2) not working instead of one.

Thanks again

Joe
I suspect that the valve that switches between black and grey flush is not installed correctly. I had a similar problem on my new coach in 2006 and can hopefully find a picture somewhere.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #10

You can manually open the valve to dump the tanks. There is a small flat blade screw in the center of the valve just turn to open or close. There are updated switches and valves that work much better. They are available from the manufacturer. I will look it up and post later.
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
Old 06-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #11

If the sensors were (all) working and now not .... corrosion build up would be my guess. Fill the tank 1/3'rd-1/2 full of water before your next trip and pull the shower drain grid. (Bit of a pain to do, but do-able, just re-seal with a bit of clear calking if needed when you re-install.)

Dump in two-three bags of ice cubes (this also works for the black tank down the toilet) and go for a drive to your next outing. The ice acts as a 'cleaning' scrubbing compound and will usually clear off the interior ends of the units.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil Shannon View Post
I suspect that the valve that switches between black and grey flush is not installed correctly. I had a similar problem on my new coach in 2006 and can hopefully find a picture somewhere.
Here is the original thread from 2006:
Tank flush diversion valve

The pictures are no longer available on line and I don't have them in my files. Somebody got a picture or a diagram of how to connect these valves?
Old 06-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF these are standard RV tank sensors they are about as complicated as a nail, in fact, they are a nail, or series of nails (or screws) for all purposes and intents.

Just a metal rod that sticks into the tank, over filling won't bother them a bit, They do not move.

So how does the sensor work?

There is an wire from the display board to the sensors, near the tank there is an epoxy chip, In this chip are several (2 or more) resistors, One for each indicator light -1 (That is if you ahve 1/3, 2/3 Full, there are 3 lights, 2 resistors, if you have quarter tank lights, that's 4 lights, 3 resistors

The circuit looks like this

Wire from panel--------FULL--/\/\/\ ---2/3----/\/\/\/\--1/3

What has happened is the wire from the panel to the epoxy chip has gone bad NOTE on one of my tanks the resistor "Bank" went bad, I re-built it from my scrap That is actually the path it takes,

OF course if you have some fancy sensors, LIke See Level.. Disregard this post. (Except for the "no moving parts, over filling won't bother it" part)
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #14

The valves and switches should be Drainmaster. www.drainmaster.com or 877-787-8833 EXT. 72 Doug. There are new updated switches and valves that work much better. WRV did not install the dump valves correctly. To work best, they should be installed so they open to the top or vertical, not horizontal.

As far as trying to find the old style sensor, I wouldn't waste my money. My grey water sensor never worked when it was new.

Another thing that can cause Silverleaf problems is the temperature sensor through the floor where the grey and black tank valves are. The sensor where it goes through the floor can get corroded and cause problems with the SIlverleaf. I just disconnected the sensor.

2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500

Tags
water