Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #1

We are now setting at HWH in Moscow, Iowa. And, yes, we will be here for lunch.

After two trouble free days (a rarity, it seems like), we pulled in last night. Nothing on the control board for the hydraulics worked. The lights all flickered a few times, but ever so briefly. Air wouldn't dump, jacks wouldn't come down, slides just shimmied.

Of all routes we could have chosen to come from the West Coast, we chose to come thru Iowa. And we stopped to spend the night 37 miles short of the Moscow, Iowa, exit. (We did not have a clue where Moscow, Iowa, was). So, our guardian angel does seem to still be helping us, even though he/she is having to work overtime and probably getting very annoyed.

This is the most discouraged we have ever been since owning the coach. Whether it's components or not, WRV tied them all together, and they are not holding up. We finally admitted last night that we have bought a lemon. Too many times, we have said, "This will probably be the last thing for a while."

After a practically sleepless night, we pondered our options:

1) Paint lemons on the side of the coach (though Buddy says grapefruits would be more appropriate).

2) Check on lemon laws.

3) Pay $97,500 for the difference between our '06 and an '08 Alpine of the same floorplan.

4) Put the coach up for sale when we get the latest problem fixed if and when we can get home with it.

5) Lie about it to someone and tell them what a wonderful coach it has been--that we want to "upgrade."

6) Be honest and still try to sell the coach.

7) Trade it in on another brand.

8) Give up motorhoming.

Neither Buddy nor I are thinking very rationally at this point. If any of you have some suggestions, I would appreciate them. If you wish, you can email me privately at briderbiggs@yahoo.com.

Buddy and Beverly

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #2

We are now setting at HWH in Moscow, Iowa. And, yes, we will be here for lunch.

After two trouble free days (a rarity, it seems like), we pulled in last night. Nothing on the control board for the hydraulics worked. The lights all flickered a few times, but ever so briefly. Air wouldn't dump, jacks wouldn't come down, slides just shimmied.

Of all routes we could have chosen to come from the West Coast, we chose to come thru Iowa. And we stopped to spend the night 37 miles short of the Moscow, Iowa, exit. (We did not have a clue where Moscow, Iowa, was). So, our guardian angel does seem to still be helping us, even though he/she is having to work overtime and probably getting very annoyed.

This is the most discouraged we have ever been since owning the coach. Whether it's components or not, WRV tied them all together, and they are not holding up. We finally admitted last night that we have bought a lemon. Too many times, we have said, "This will probably be the last thing for a while."

After a practically sleepless night, we pondered our options:

1) Paint lemons on the side of the coach (though Buddy says grapefruits would be more appropriate).

2) Check on lemon laws.

3) Pay $97,500 for the difference between our '06 and an '08 Alpine of the same floorplan.

4) Put the coach up for sale when we get the latest problem fixed if and when we can get home with it.

5) Lie about it to someone and tell them what a wonderful coach it has been--that we want to "upgrade."

6) Be honest and still try to sell the coach.

7) Trade it in on another brand.

8) Give up motorhoming.

Neither Buddy nor I are thinking very rationally at this point. If any of you have some suggestions, I would appreciate them. If you wish, you can email me privately at briderbiggs@yahoo.com.

Buddy and Beverly

Old 08-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #3

For all the two folks we know you really deserve none of this. Buddy would have been a H*** of a lot happier at home on his tractor and I am sure you could find something to do besides create all of these problems. I do not know what we can do to help, but if there is something just let us know.
We just we wish we could help you with your problems.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #4

Ted and Carol,

Thanks for your encouraging words. We had 200 miles of trouble free driving and now have two more problems. Since I'd like to know if others have experienced these two, I will post them separately.

Our problem turned out to be poor wiring on the part of WRV. They had cut off a wire too short, it had stretched and finally broke. The problem had nothing to do with the HWH component. We have had so many "wiring" related problems with this coach that it is scary.

Beverly and Buddy
Old 08-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #5

Ted III,

I told Buddy what you said about him probably being happier on his tractor than dealing with these problems. He said that was certainly true! Buddy said to tell you that right now he was like the monkey making love to the skunk when the monkey said, "I've about had all this good stuff I can stand."

Buddy and Beverly
Old 08-30-2007, 09:49 PM   #6

Buddy and Beverly, I was looking at an upgrade, too. You must be a better shopper because I was quoted $110M difference on '06 to '08!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:07 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lundy:
... I was quoted $110M difference on '06 to '08!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow!! that's big time inflation! $110,000,000 for a coach 2 years newer.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:22 PM   #8

I need to correct one thing--Buddy says the wire to the HWH control was not "cut" too short--it had been left long enough, but when it was cinched down, not enough slack had been left in it--it stretched. With the moving of the console in and out, it wore and finally broke. Seems like in the back of my mind I remember other people having a similar problem.

Beverly
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #9

Lundy,

Uhlmann Rv gave the quote, which we thought was very fair, considering the higher prices of the new coaches. After all, I had looked up our coach in the NADA book back in March, and it was $165K wholesale. Now that two more books are out, it is probably down to $145K or so. I need to point out that on this quote from Uhlmann, their coach had hydrohot and cherry cabinets, which ours does not; so even at a discounted rate for those options, the difference would have been around $90,000. We have a 36' FDDS. We have Silverleaf, which theirs didn't, but I don't think that would improve the value of ours any.

The list price on the '08 was approx. $363K. At a 25% discount, that would be approx. $272K. Subtracting $97,500 would leave approx. $174,500. Alpines must be holding their value well (or this model sells esp. well), for them to allow us this much. After all, they DO have to make a profit to stay in business. I wouldn't expect to get more than wholesale price trading it on any other brand.

There was no factory incentive involved--at least none of which we were aware. This was before our current rash of problems, too.

Does anyone know how much SmartBeds add to the price of a coach? Also, how much does the new engine add? I had thought about $12,000, but I not sure where I got this figure.

Beverly
Old 09-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #10

I was quoted a straight $10,000 add for the new EPA engine; about half of that is the muffler alone w/its precocious metals, 3 pyrometers, etc. FWIW, you really can fire up the engine and stand by the exhaust w/out any great discomfort from the diesel smell/soot. I suspect the generator will now put out more diesel effects than the main motor.

Don't know about the SBs, but I don't think they make the swing up cargo design anymore.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #11

Buddy and Beverly, you got me wondering about values, so I looked up the latest NADA values. The base wholesale price for a '06, 36FDDS was $196K. Using the options that I paid extra for, raised the w/s price to $205K. I can't help but think that with the increased price of the new ones, it may have pulled up the value of the used ones (or am I dreaming?). To get my wife to go from the '00 to '06, I had to sell her on the idea of a bigger engine and quicker steering!! It will be a hard sell to convince her how much the storage trays, raised roof and single windshield is worth. Besides, ee spent $4500 on custom cabinets and a new one would have to include that expenditure. She reallllly loves them.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #12

If I remember correctly, the NADA guide prices are based strictly on a depreciation formula. The same depreciation rate is used regardless of the brand of motorhome. When I sold my Lazy Daze to buy the Alpine Coach, the Kelly Blue book trade-in prices for the Lazy Daze were considerably higher than the NADA guide. I think the KBB price was $35K versus $25K in NADA. (I got the KBB price.)

It might be worth a trip to the local library to check the KBB motorhome book. (At the time KBB motorhome prices were not available online.)
Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #13

Jim,

We sold our Lazy Daze for considerably more than the book retail price, also. I don't think my library has Kelly Blue book, though I've been told their prices are more accurate. I think you are right about NADA being based strictly on a depreciation formula.

Lundy,

I don't think I figured any options in the wholesale price. We also have a lot of options from the base price. I thought that at wholesale, options probably didn't matter.

Anyway, we think Uhlmann's price was fair.

I welcome the chance to think our coach is worth more than I thought it was.

Beverly and Buddy

I am editing this post because I just went in to the NADA system on the internet. Our coach base price is more than it was in March. I went ahead and added the options, and it is considerably more. I have saved my old copies. When I get the time I'm going to look them up.

Beverly
Old 02-22-2008, 03:16 PM   #14

Sorry to hear about your Alpine. I cannot imagine buying another Alpine after having so many problems with the one you have. Seems like throwing good money after bad. People continue to associate Alpine with the days of old. When WRV actually put out a quality coach. Unfortunately the Monomy capital group has been unable to fix the huge problems with quality.
I would let WRV earn their reputation back before even considering buying another one of their "Grapefuits"