Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #15

It's nice and warm down here in Fort Myers

Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
We've done a lot of "teen times" (temperatures in the teens) in our '03 and never had a problem so long as we disconnect the supply water hose. The furnace blows warm air into the storage and holding tank bays so there is no worry about anything there freezing so be sure to use the furnace, not just auxiliary heat like electric space heaters.

rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
As an Update - Temps Monday Evening are forecasted to be 7F overnight in McDonough, GA. I have done the following things to prepare for this cold event, would appreciate info from ALPINE OWNERS ONLY who have survived cold this low to make sure I have done it all. The above posts also cover some of this information.

Filled the fresh water tank, stowed the hose and pre-filter after draining them.

Stored the sewer hose as it had ice in it so had to run hot water to melt so it would stow (drain master system).

I have shore power cord out only. Using Water pump and internal tanks for all fresh water and holding.

I am using the Hydro Hot System for heat and an small A/C heater as a backup.

I have the generator enabled to catch the system if battery falls below 12.3VDC during the night due to power outage, I am going to disable quiet hours, as we lost power the other evening and everyone was running their Generators regardless of them. As an aside, when lost power it took out the inverter so no 120VAC period. I then started generator so would not lose fridge (residential type), then reset breaker on inverter and the circuit breaker in the Inverter A/C panel and it all worked again, don't know why it tripped off line, "pass through" is supposed catch those problems. FWIW - Magnum 2800 Inverter.

I will leave the laundry room; bathroom; vanity and kitchen sink doors open to keep warm air in those areas when it gets really cold.

Kitchen/Living Room slide is IN, bedroom/vanity slides are out.

To complicate this whole event, I have a bad cold and it wont go away, so worrying and feeling bad are not two things I want to do at the same time. Very Tired of winter period.

I don't know of anything else I can think of, maybe turn off the water pump and open up all the internal faucets in case the cold gets in here for some reason.

I did survive -3F in The Dalles, OR one winter in a Lance Truck Camper, it had the arctic pack, and leaving the furnace at 50 it survived, with the water disconnected, and WP off cabinet doors open, etc. Went through almost 5 gallons of propane every day, so I was filling up a can daily.

I Filled up the fuel tank prior to stopping here, and don't think I will use 143 gallons of fuel for this cold wave. Plan on leaving and heading west/south on Thursday since I don't know if we will have black ice/rain/snow on Wednesday.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Followup - it got down to 16 and everything is fine. Just costing us some extra propane. Using a small tower space heater to supplement the living room area where it's the coldest area of the coach. Even had ice forming on the INSIDE of the windshield along the bottom. The curtains do a decent job of trapping the cold coming thru the windshield.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
We are in the panhandle also. Temp this AM was 20 and never got above 33 today. We disconnected the water hose, turned up the number two zone higher on the thermostat. Don't panic tomorrow is 50 plus, Thursday high 60's Sat. High 70's. This was a freak of nature due to climate change, all is well, enjoy the beach and white sand this week end.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:54 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
First the climate is always in change and has been since the earth was formed. Global warming is the biggest bunch of crap since the federal reserve was formed at Christmas time in 1913.

Learned this coach can survive 7F temps. Turned down both zones at night to 50, since don't want to waste diesel. Took several hours to get both zones back to 65-70 with the temps cold outside, that is with the vanity slide and LR/Kitchen slide in and a small electric heater helping out. Some of the windows formed frost/ice on them inside of the coach, as it warmed up, had water to wipe up.

Weather has finally improved enough that it's now too hot in here. Because of bad nozzle several years ago, have blown out all the excess carbon in the combustion chamber and now the HH unit is running better than ever.

This is with the fixes I have performed to the delivery side of the equation. WRV used flexible hose, this causes hills and valleys, HH says no more than 270 degrees of turns in any delivery system, those hills and valleys cause bad air delivery. I replaced as much of those hoses with solid piping, and it's much better than when we bought it. Don't want to be in those kind of temps again, but know if I am the system will keep the coach from freezing up. Nice to know.

Oh, suggest some spare parts to carry. A spare A/C Electric Element; spare A/C high limit switch - see this link: https://secure.aquahot.com/eSource/T...Y-300-FRU.aspx

Also, a spare flame sensor would not be a bad idea either, they get hot, and the wires inside burn because of the heat in the burner assembly. If the unit has a constant burning sound, no surging sound, then the fuel pressure is most likely ok.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
First the climate is always in change and has been since the earth was formed. Global warming is the biggest bunch of crap
I guess you missed this article.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:15 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cass A with enclosed plumbing is usually good to 20 degrees.. If you put a couple hundred watts of heat in the wet bays PROVIDED THE FURNACE IS HEATING THE HOUSE.. That will take it down a few degrees more.

I have 500 watts split between a string of C-9 Christmas lights below the fresh tank and a 100 watt light and a 150 watt space heater in the "Black" end of the bay.. I still had a line freeze, but in a safe spot. (PEX can take it it seems) Thawed a few hours after the sun came up, No damage. Minor inconvenience.