Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hard Freeze Warning

We're in the Florida panhandle area and getting a "Hard Freeze" warning for Tuesday morning. The low temperature is expected to hit 17 and then 19 on Wednesday morning. We've been here in mid-20's so far without a problem. I've been disconnecting & draining the outside water hoses as well as draining the filter when the temperature drops below freezing. We then run on the water pump and onboard water tank with the furnace running.

Should we pack up and head south to avoid problems or should we be OK?

Thanks for any related experience you can share!

bcbowers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:47 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
We've camped in our '99 several times in the low teens, always boondocking so no water line to worry about. I think you have it covered, just keep the furnace going and you should be OK.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
drain wtr. htr. drain fresh wtr tank purg air into the city water hook up if you have a small compressor. Flush a gallon or two through your toilets and poor some down your sinks if they have traps. Dont for get the ice maker. Just think about where there is water and get it out. Don't forget the shower sump. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Yes if you are going to run the furnace it's a lot easier and it should be fine. Probably won't stay that low for long.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
KIX

You could put a drop light (trouble light) in the compartment with the water pump just for good measure.
Check online weather sources (accuweather.com is one) and look at hourly temps for your area. I should only be below freezing a few hours. Short duration freezes have never been a problem for us here in St. Augustine.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Dave!

You've given me some peace of mind. We've had enough problems while visiting here (water pump, charger/inverter) and don't want to create new ones that could have been avoided.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Turn the water to the ice maker and disconnect the line on the valve. With heat in the coach you should be fine. Check the antifreeze in the toad.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just pack up and go south. We have tried winter along the N Gulf and this reminds me of why we would rather stay home.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #9

From my experience, I would not worry. A few years ago I was in Tucson, when a deep freezes drifted over for several days. It was a 15 degrees for several days straight. I kept everything running and only disconnected the water hose with no problems. I was impressed how well these Alpines are insulated.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We spent three days in Tallahassee a few years ago and it got down to 22 every night.

All I did was disconnect the water hose and put it away each night.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
Should we pack up and head south to avoid problems or should we be OK?
The low south of Miami is going to be 41 Tuesday morning for a couple hours or less.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Update - 10 Degrees

The low for Tuesday morning in now suppose to be 10. I think we'll tough it out and hope for the best. I'm dumping & getting the propane tank filled today to be ready. We'll probably have wished that we had gone south even if there are no problems.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

We are living in an RV park in Fredericksburg, TX and the forecast temp the next two nights is in the low 20's. I have had good results with leaving the grey water valve open and letting a faucet drip. This also helps keep the park faucet from freezing. If you keep the furnace operating, you should not have a problem. The last time I disconnected the hose the park faucet froze.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

I asked Tom Cook what to do when it was going to get down to 16 in Reno last Feb (Cook's had been doing winters in Michigan in their Alpine for several years). Empty water filter (just pour out the water, dont toss the filter element unless its due), and make sure the basement Gets some heat. Worked like a charm. We ran only a cube heater in coach at nite then AHot furnace on in a.m. to take the chill off. We kept the AHot heater on & tstat On which runs the basement heart register if needed.
On an 03 in not sure if you havea basement heat station but if you heat the coach at night w/the furnace your ducts in the basement will spill sufficient heat along the way to help stuff from freezing.