Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
Hardwood Floor

Has anyone removed the carpet and replaced it with hardwood floors? if so how thick should i get the hardwood flooring so the slides will work okay? Thanks.

Dennis & Brenda
2006 Alpine Coach 40Fd Limited
2014 Cadillac Srx
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Take a look at vinyl floor tile--much thinner, comes in a variety faux wood finishes, and is a lot more durable than most wood/fake wood products--especially around the slide feet/glides.....

Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
Give Bobby and Scott a call in Junction City. They have a vinyl called Flexitec that they install.
Janet and Todd Legg
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:28 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
Has anyone removed the carpet and replaced it with hardwood floors? if so how thick should i get the hardwood flooring so the slides will work okay? Thanks.

Did you look under "Quick Tips & Easy Mods - Alpine Style?
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
2005 38' FDTS Alpine Limited, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
Cape Cod, MA
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have put hardwood into my Hurricane. I used the readily available parquet type squares. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
I did that modification early in 2011 and it still looks very good.
2001 Hurricane 29D
2015 Kia Sorento
Kymco Motor Scooter
Maya the Rottweiler/Great Dane Mix
Hudsoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #6
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
engineered wood planks, from 3/8 to 1/2 inch thickness will not impact your slides. glue it down with urethane adhesive so it won't move or sound hollow when you walk on it
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #7
I used 3/8" glue down engineered wood in my prior MH. I had some pieces left from doing a few rooms in my house so I laid them out on the existing vinyl floor and ran the slide in and out a few times to check clearance.

It's a given that you can go at least as thick as your tile. You could lay some 1/4" plywood or paneling on top of the tile and run your slide in over it and see if it clears, if so try some 3/8", and so on. I believe I taped mine down and moved the slide a little at a time.

I'm sure there are several of us that will be interested in seeing how much you do and hearing about the install. I will say that it was very time consuming and I made what seemed like 10,000 cuts and consequently 10,000 trips in and out of the MH. I swore I'd never do it again, but that was then!!

Send me a PM if you'd like more info or pics.

Oh yeah, I read a lot of Ernie's posts before starting.

2005 Alpine
Alpine Coach........That's how Jaguar would've done it!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

Not sure on how the slide on an Alpine is setup but on our coach it came from the factory with carpet and was later changed to a vinly tile. The vinly tile was spaced up with 3/8" plywood. When I removed the vinyl tile I also removed the 3/8" plywood and replaced it all with engineered flooring. This was just slightly less than the vinyl floor but slides worked just fine. I am using some protectors when bringing in slides so floor is not damaged. With protectors I am at almost exact same height.
With all the flooring changes rollers were never changed. They are still at orginal height and slide works fine.

I studied Ernie's methods and looked at many of his installs for inspiration and knowledge. He knows his stuff!

Hardwood Everywhere
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
We wanted the elegance of real hardwood so followed Ernie's advise and our install came out great. I did go slow to be sure I didn't screw it up so it did take some time. Engineered hardwood and it has held up great to the dogs and the slides. Pretty much 100% of the folks that see it will say "oh wow!".

2005 Newmar Kountry Star 3742
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote