Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone purchased an Alpine with no carpet or tile- just the hardwood (WilsonArt)floor? Same question for hydro-heat. Any problems with either? Would you purchase either again? Thanks for your input.

Norm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone purchased an Alpine with no carpet or tile- just the hardwood (WilsonArt)floor? Same question for hydro-heat. Any problems with either? Would you purchase either again? Thanks for your input.

Norm

Old 06-02-2006, 07:06 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Wouldn't be without the hydro-hot unit. Constant hot water, quiet coach heat, no problems so far (purchased coach in Feb. 05).

As for flooring, we purchased the delustered tile. Seems fine and easy to keep up.

Jerry and Judy
05-06 36'FDDS
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:16 AM   #4
RJF

We have the WilsonArt flooring on our 2006 40' middoor. After one year it still looks like new. We have traveled across the country & back in all sorts of weather. No problems. Willie & Twinkle our schipperkees find the wood floor easier to walk & run laps on than tile.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #5

Hi Norm

I wouldn't have a coach with tile because the frame flexes (I will go into that in detail later). Wood & carpet is more logical/practical.

Hydro hot requires regular maintenance and uses your diesel fuel = if camped in a good resort, they usually can deliver propane but not diesel fuel. I've seen problems on internet with Hydro Hot and decided against it for practical reasons.

To much in RVs today is glitz and not practical like large home refrigerators (110 volt only). You don't need a 4-6 week supply of food - a 2 week supply of food fits in the standard propane/12 volt refrigerator. You should rotate foods (freshen) for health sake and shop once a week.

Another thing I ordered is an OLYMPIC QUEEN BED - kings are needlessly large and standard queens are to small - I hate bumping and waking partners in the night.

Doubtless these ideas will create controversy. Of course it's your $$$ - you get to live with your decisions.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 AM   #6

We have the WilsonArt flooring in our 05 FDQS (factory pickup 2 Dec 04). Margarita and Nacho love the slight slide they can throw themselves into; and we love the no stains easy clean up. We have experienced cupping on some edges and seperation spaces on some ends (we were assembled during the "WRV Blue Period" (apologies to Picasso). During Nov 05 factory visit service rep said "yah could be replaced but its covered under warrantee for 10 years so wait till worse". Still we think it is the way to go for pets and grankids!
Hydro-hot is the only way to go, excellent. You will probably have to do some sealing of gaps where plumbing and wiring enter the coach from cargo area to keep occasional diesle fumes out. From a fulltimer prespective both items make living aboard much better.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for responding. It seemed like using diesel for heating would be preferable to propane-- but I have not had experience with either approach.

Part of my reason for asking about the flooring is that during our special visit to the factory on Memorial Day (Yes. The VP for Sales actually gave us a tour on a holiday. These folks are pretty unbelievable), there was an MDTS Apex awaiting delivery. The VP said it was the third Alpine coach for the buyer. And this coach had WilsonArt instead of the tile in the galley (not sure if it was also in the living and bedroom areas-- I was just looking through the door).

My wife, before C got her, wanted to replace our home carpeting with Pergo or W/A (inevitable pet/coffee stains etc.),and just use throw rugs etc. I can still change the flooring on my order and I thought-- why not use W/A throughout the coach as well (assuming
WRV can do that).

For those of you with W/A is it just in the galley or is it throughout?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:00 PM   #8

I have seen the wood flooring - it looks very nice! We have tile. The center (bath-kitchen) tile does have some cracks in the grout, but that doesn't bother me.

Hydro-hot. We love it. It's QUIET!!!! And it gives a nice quality of heat. The "instant" hot water is especially nice. After a couple hours of driving you have enough hot water for that night's shower too.

NOTE on Hydro-hot - you don't have to use diesel! We use electric only most of the time - only use diesel at night when it's cold or we're in a hurry. The Hydro-hot engine pre-heat feature is nice too.

Audrey
Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #9

I am inclined to agree with Audrey & John about the Hydro-Hot. It is a pleasure. Unfortunately we do not have it as we bought the coach from the Dealer stock and it did not have it. We did have it in our 40' Monaco and I thought it was wonderful. Odd about the hot water and traveling. For the years we spent boating which was from 1984 until 2002 all of our boats had a heat exchanger so the water from the hot water heater went around the engine in some fashion so that when we arrived whereever, we had hot water. I have always wondered why motorhomes don't do the same thing? With the Hydro Hot we truly enjoyed the heat as it was very quiet and very even throughout the coach. The Monaco was a signature model so no goodies were not included. Regardless, I think Hydro hot is the way to go. We never had any problem with it at all.
Audrey, out of curiosity is John permitted to speak?

Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 2005 34' FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:18 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ted III:
Audrey, out of curiosity is John permitted to speak? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh of course John is permitted to speak! He just rarely does. LOL!

We have been teased about this before..... LOL!

Audrey
Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 PM   #11

We are on our second coach with the hardwood floors and hydro-hot. This time we even had the hardwood extended through the bedroom and rate it as excellent!

Hydro-hot is a must!

Sully
Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 AM   #12

We have the "hardwood" floor in the kitchen/dining area, and entire bathroom area. We love it and are amazed how many people see it and say, "I didn't know wood was an option!" Guess none of the dealers order coaches with it.

Pluses: Much cheaper than tile, easier (I think - and I've had tile in homes) to clean, less weight for us fulltimers, not as cold to feet when temps drop overnight, no risk of cracked tiles/grout as many folks have had problems with in motorhomes, softer to stand on in the (rare, I admit) instances of prolonged cooking, slightly increased chance of dropped items not breaking on impact.

Negative: Especially with the large desk and passenger side cabinets we've added, there's beaucoup wood inside/not as much variety of look/texture.

That said, we are planning to remove the carpet from the living room and put "wood" in its place.

Mary Whitfield
Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 PM   #13

My first mate asked about wood throughout the the entire coach. We have tile entry, carpet main room and bedroom and tile in the bathroom. I think it will be a major job. Does anyone have any input for me? I won't go the factory to have it done.
Thanks

40' 2004 ALPINE COACH FDTS
chris cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #14

The tricky part appears to be under the kitchen slide. For those w/the double-slide living room, the rocker/dining slide is accessible w/the slide out but not down. But the "main" slide goes out parallel to the floor and access under it to where you'd need to do some edge fastening might be tight.
Couldn't say what's up w/the 38' w/kitchen on curb side.