Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #1

I like to go over every inch of the coach, more of a inquisitive nature,I like to see how things work.
I was and am in shock over the amount of debri, lumps of saw dust,wire clippings, screws ,bolts washers, plastic things ect-ect.
This is absolutely shocking to me. I find these things when I take off the top of the bed platform and is absolutely brutal in the above compartments in the front of the coach were the different instument are stored.
I mean there was pounds of it. {I did get lots of extra screws-nuts-and boltS :+)}
mAYBE IT'S JUST ME BUT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2005, 06:52 AM   #2

I like to go over every inch of the coach, more of a inquisitive nature,I like to see how things work.
I was and am in shock over the amount of debri, lumps of saw dust,wire clippings, screws ,bolts washers, plastic things ect-ect.
This is absolutely shocking to me. I find these things when I take off the top of the bed platform and is absolutely brutal in the above compartments in the front of the coach were the different instument are stored.
I mean there was pounds of it. {I did get lots of extra screws-nuts-and boltS :+)}
mAYBE IT'S JUST ME BUT

Old 04-29-2005, 07:01 AM   #3

somehow got cut off...}

But I build and renovate houses and I make it a special part of my job to vacuum out every inside wall and ceiling of everything imaginable.
I want the entire structure to be totally clean.NOT just what you see but what you but what you don't !!! I don't believe in "Dumping" things in the wall,or leaving chips scraps saw dust- plaster-or anything else.
And that is just for a house !!!!!
This is suppose to be a luxury item. ON wheels no less. Shaking around all the time........

Again,maybe it's just me-maybe I have a very isolated experience, or maybe this is ACROSS THE BOARD with every manufacturer of diesel coaches..........
Old 04-29-2005, 07:50 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No its not just you an not just a diesel coach, I have done the same as you, taking draws, panels off, checking plumbing fittings, gas, elect wiring, an than vacuuming under everything just so I know everything is on the up an up. You can sure find alot of spare parts doing it. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:58 AM   #5

I've done lots of inspections on houses & been amazed @ the detritus left by the clods who built the place. I don't mind crud in the wall cavities & generally inaccessible places, but accessible attics where storage will be accessed, etc. still get loads of left-overs.

For a coach, I figure that anywhere I, as the owner/operator, will be that has not been cleaned up, shows flaky standards. Under the bed seems a natural place to leave clean, as well as in cabinets. Sorry to hear of your experience.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:12 AM   #6

I too was appalled, having retired from the Aerospace Industry where FOD was a mortal sin. I even got a free caulking gun, found it in the compartment with the waste tanks.

We are just completing our 8th month of full timing in our Alpine. I have a few minor issues left to fix or get fixed. In fact we are debating if the trek to WA to the factory is cost effective to get the last few items fixed.

I would buy another Alpine because I believe it is one of the best values out there especially when on the road. I just wish the 1st year was not so aggravating.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:55 AM   #7

Wayne- What's FOD?
and what, besides FOD, did you have to wrestle with in your first year? Mike
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM   #8

FOD is Foreign Object Debris.

Slide water leaks were and are the biggest issue. Inoperative Gen auto start, Hydro hot not wired correctly, fans to zones 1 and 2 were reversed. Front slide hanging up and making a loud bang when closing, it actually tore the wood trim off. Same slide cut electrical cord in half. Those were the biggies, I find fixing most defects myself to be the best solution. I tried to get WRV to send me the replacement floats to fix my battery fill problem but they wouldn't. They insisted on having a repair service do the work. There was numerous other problems but easily fixed and not worth the hassle of going to a dealer. The battery fill problem is going to require I drive 160 miles round trip. Hopefully it will be done in 1 day or we will have to rent a room for our dogs and us.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #9

I have toured many motorhome manufactures and come to think of it, I have never seen a vacuum cleaner on the assembly line. I have added some nice tools to my toolbox courtesy of sloppy technicians.

I was working under the kitchen cabinets when I first bought our coach and you are right there is a lot of trash left by the builders.

Danny

2000 Alpine Millennium Edition
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:43 AM   #10

Chet, we will be at Buckhorn Mid October thru mid November are you going to be there? I sure would like to meet you.

In regards to FOD there is nothing that has nore impact than a pilot handing a mechanic a tool left on board an aircraft. Don't ask how I know.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #11

Hi Wayne,
We plan on being there Sept. thru March or so. See you there...Chet

'05 40' FDTS
Chet Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #12

FOD stands for foriegn object damage
Old 05-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi iron mike welcome to irv2 hows everything in the great state of Alaska, was station there in 1957,58 State hood, working in all A.C.S. stations an military bases thru out the state. Hope to hear more from you about your trips an about RVing. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #14

Hi! 007,
Have been here in Alaska since 1978 to finish a USAF 4 year tour at Eielson AFB, then elected to retire and stay here. My wife had a good job and we had bought property and began building an Alaskan addmore house.ie. Every couple of years we would add another feature. Eventually we have a four bedroom with a cold garage and a warm garage, with my junk in the back yard, on a ten acre piece of frozen ground.

Actually this is my second time on the irv2 Alpine forum. Had forgotten my password etc so decided to start over again. Couldn't resist the FOD use.

Our trips in the motor home have been mainly to Yakima, Wa. where I have two siblings. We do enjoy our alpine and have about 16,000 miles so far. For this year and next our trips will be around Alaska. Then we will both be retired and free to travel we hope.

We attended the home coming in 2004 with fast trips down there and back. I have a hard time slowing down with the long trips from here to the lower 48. When both of us are free I hope to even start talking slow.

Well must get out and do something productive before going to work tomorow. Thanks for responding. Iron Mike.