Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:16 PM   #15
Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Forget running the cables across the roof. A much cleaner way is to run them through the AC duct in the ceiling.Find an AC ceiling outlet close to where the antenna is to be installed. Remove the register and drill a hole through the roof. Run the cable down the AC ceiling duct. At the outlet in front of the TV, remove the register and punch a hole through to behind the TV. The Data Storm cables were installed in my 2003 this way. Eliminates rattling cables on the roof.

Basil & Sue Shannon
Former Apex owner (Gary & Renee have it now)
Was Traveling Circus (2 clowns/Sage the Wonder Dog) Tent rotted. Circus folded.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:04 AM   #16

Good sugestion, I may reroute mine.

Wayne & Kathy
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #17
Alpine Owners Club
We have an LG HD Directv receiver w/a Kingdome satellite and the Sharp Acquos 32" TV in the front of the coach. Also, have the RCA Directv receiver for the bedroom TV (original to coach). The only upgrade we've done is replace the RCA TV/VCR combo with a Samsung 22" HDTV. Of course, we only get HD using the OTA antenna. We need to replace the LG receiver and are wondering if anyone can provide advice regarding a Directv DVR -- will it work w/our current Kingdome (model #9702) and other components?

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh
2005 40' Limited FDTS

Jim & Ingrid McIntosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #18
Alpine Owners Club

Jim & Ingrid: FYI The latest HD DVR from DirecTV (or at least the last time I upgraded)- the HR21-700 [the black unit such as that carried by Costco] does not have an OTA antenna input :(. But it is supposedly the most trouble-free HD receiver (I had to return two of the earlier gray HD receivers ).

2001 Alpine 36 FDDS 350 SeaGreen/Mendocino 74263
Oregon Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Alpine Owners Club

I believe Direct TV has an add on module, AM21 off-air tuner for $50. This connects to the HD DVR and integrates the off air channels into the program guide. The off air broadcasts can then be recorded on the DVR. We have this unit at home and it works very well. I think it would also work in an RV but we have not tried it.
Doug & Debbie, Wilsonville Oregon
2002 36 MDDS, 2005 Chev Colorado
Blitz the American Eskimo, Barkley the Mini Aussie
Doug & Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #20
I am not sure how well it would work, but the new HR22 HD DVR from Direct TV is not as deep as previous models, so it would fit in the cabinet much easier.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
If you plan to do any recording with the DVR, I found it VERY frustrating and in many instances impossible with the KingDome. The problem is that many of the popular channels are on different satellites, you don't know which tuner will be used to record and you don't know what satellite the "Priority" tuner will be on. After switching to the MotoSat antenna I am able to use 2 DVRs with no problem, but would never use a DVR on a dome antenna, as they are now, again.
Dale Gerstel
2007 Limited SE 40fdts
Las Vegas, NV
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #22
I use my Tivo DVR with the dome satellite and it works perfectly, but I only use one coax, so no conflicts with priority. And no High Def either. We really rough it on the road.
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:25 PM   #23
If you want a HD DVR receiver you must have a sat dish that is capable of receiving HD. Your TV needs to be HD also. The DVR will work with one cable from the sat but you need 2 cables from the sat if you want to record one program while watching another. Also the connection from the HD/DVR receiver will need to connect to your tv with either an HDMI cable or RCA cables for HD not just the red, white, and yellow for the best picture.
Doug and Liz
2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limitied
Fulltime RV'ers
DNLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, I had a DirecTV DVR for a while, Do not now have it but .. Well, I have to negotate with DirecTV, we have a serious difference of opinion.

This I can tell you about DVR's. They do not like to get overly hot. The temps in an overhead compartment easily get up well over 100 Degrees as designed.. I added serious ventlation to my compartment and have since added more. This did improve things. (I replaced the plexaglass front with a custom made window screen in fact, that was the "Since added more")

They also require a DUAL LNB (This does not mean two hocky pucks, it means two coax fittings) Now it is very hard to tell a single from a dual since they look identical, till you take 'em off the arm and count the coax fittings.. MOST LNB's are dual (Though Winegard sells a single) (If you get an HD install, with a multi-head LNB, the question of Single/Dual does not arise, they are all "Multi", DOMES however, may be single or dual, mine is dual)

And finally: DirecTV DVR's are dual in-single out.. Direct told me I could record 2 shows and watch a 3rd live, this is very simply NOT TRUE at least not on the model they gave me. it was 2 in and one out. That, I did not find acceptable

DISH TV DVR's are 2 in 2 out by the way You can watch two different shows (on different televisions) Either live or recorded while recording one or two shows.

But the antenna requirements are more complex and do not lend themselves to my instalation so.....

I will, when I setle with DirecTV, go to two receivers neither of which records, and my own DVR's which do so very nicely
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Langord
Yes, we have HD-DVR Direct TV being used with MotoSat SL5. Is currently working fine with the Nomad updated software of 38.8 recently installed. Appears that we need to program the Zone when entering a different zone, but thus far, all is well.

We did have multiple complications until the latest software update. Don't understand why so many updates, as it is hard to keep up. I did purchase their module and can now download software from the internet. Hope it continues to function well.http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/dance.gif

Joel &/or Mary -Orange County,CA
2006 Alpine MDTS #75546
Langord is offline   Reply With Quote