Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone tried "mouse-free"

I was just reading about Mouse-Free (Keep Mice and Rodents out of your RV | Mouse Free). Has anyone tried it, it retails for just under $100 per gallon, that they say is enough for a 24' RV, so we would need 2 gallons. They have a special for $199, includes 2 gallons, a compressed air sprayer and shipping. IF it works I would be willing to spend it, but if it does not it is an expensive spray.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:12 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
http://www.victorpest.com/resource/i...M040-360_1.jpg

How about this Dave😝
jerry davis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't tried Mouse-Free.

Have you tried Peppermint Oil?

I live in the country and have had field mice causing problems in the truck, car, and garage. I found that a dab of Peppermint Oil on a cotton ball has been keeping the critters away. I put a cotton ball at every corner location where they can get into the garage, I put a few in the engine bays of the vehicles and there is no signs (urine and droppings). I re-oil the cotton balls every month.

I've become a believer in Peppermint Oil. It smells good, too.

I paid $20 for 4oz. and is lasting a while. I've also seen it to be a lot cheaper if bought online. That's where I will buy it again.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
A rodent control guy we had out to the house says all the products on the market work....for awhile, until the rodents get used to whatever you're using. The tried and true Victor traps seem to do the trick using pure vanilla extract as bait.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #5

Peppermint oil + Diatomaceous Earth = anti everything. Put the DE down in nooks and crannies, and peppermint oil in the perimeters of the outside and inside where it doesn't assault the senses too badly. Works wonders!

Was bug free for months (including spiders) in the middle of Texas (bug central). It really works!
kyonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I have tried mothballs and dryer sheets, I have a pest firm placing bait traps all the way around the RV, not much luck. We returned home from our Alaska trip mid Sept and headed south with the snowbirds 12/27. During that 3 months we had mice in the coach (the only thing they did was chew up a roll of paper towels. I found that hole and plugged it, so now I want something that keeps them away, I was thinking thermo-nuclear devices, but my wife tells me that is extreme and the power source would exceed 50 amps😝.

Last winter while we where home the squirrels and mice got into 1 of our sheds. They chewed through the toad wires and even chewed the spouts off the gas cans 😱 total damage, not including the hole in the shed, over $300.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I know if you talk to 10 different people about mouse control, you will likely get 12 different answers. It's about like asking the tire question !

Here's my 2 cents worth. These traps are the best and will assure you that when the furry little munchers find there way in (and they will), you can rest assured that you will find them resting in peace. I bait these with peanut butter and the bait resides under a little hatch. When they stick their nose into the hatch to get a taste, its all over. And since the bait is under the hatch, their friends don't get a chance to clean up. Take a look and good luck.....

Trap That Effectively Kills a Mouse | Quick-Kill® Traps
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Back when I used to store my coach outdoors, I used Mouse Free for one winter. I can tell you we had NO Mouse problems come spring. Mice in our rig is not an option. One sign of a mouse would lead to total incineration and replacement by order from higher authority. if you know what I mean.

All that aside, it worked as advertised for the one season I used it but it does leave a residue underneath that can be easily washed off if you want.

The biggest thing I have found for mice is,
1/. Do not leave them ANY sort of food source. Remove all traces of food or they will be attracted.
2/. Go through the undercarriage of your RV with a fine tooth comb and plug any holes, however small with Steel Wool.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #9

Wow, guess I have been lucky so far and havn't had to resort to extreme measures such as have been mentioned here! I have been able to get away with glue traps baited with peanut butter and bait. Hope the stuff works!! A .22 or death ray may be a good alternative.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #10

steel wool is great - if you can find all the holes!!
ftcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a couple of mouse deterent systems here,, Work great,, Have yet to see a mouse inside this RV save for the toy type.
Sadly I do not have a photo in DropBox so I can't post it.

Amber and Alex..My Cats.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Our neighbor gave us a packet of this stuff to try. I caught one mouse in a victor snap trap. After that, no more mice (for now).

Get Rid of Mice and Rats | Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent | earthkind
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote