Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed Bilstein shocks because They were supposed to last much longer than other brands. On indenpendant test. Bilstein's were judged to be 98% effective after 100,000 miles. Just a few months Motorhome Magazine judged Bilstein's best of all the shocks they tested.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #16

Another question...our coaches came with Bilsteins, and are acclaimed as a premier driving /handling coach. In fact that is why I bought an Alpine...word of mouth of course.

My coach is 10 years old and I haven't had the pleasure of driving a "new" Alpine. Can those of you that bought Alpines new comment how they rode/drove with Bilsteins when new?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
I replaced the Bilsteins with Koni's after only 10,000 miles. It seemed to make a big difference.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #18

Regarding Koni shocks, Koni has several different series of shocks. The series that seems best suited for motor home application to improve ride comfort is the Koni FSD series.

I have the FSD on the front suspension of our gasser and Koni adjustables on the rear. Eventually I plan to replace the adjustables with the FSD's.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm not running on an Alpine Peak Chassis, but I am running on Bilstein shocks.

My coach was built in 1995 with Bilstein shocks. It rode really rough. The previous owner had written many comments in the owner's manual trying to soften the ride by lowering the tire pressures.

Last year I decided to change the shocks. The price difference between Bilstein and Koni, plus the fact the Bilstein were actively trying to modify their shock to produce a satisfactory ride, led me to try the new Bilstein shock.

Once removed, the old shocks were like solid rods. I could not compress or open any one of the old shocks without clamping it in a vice and really struggling to make the shock move.

The new shocks were fairly stiff to compress, but not difficult. They opened back to full length on their own.

Once installed, the new Bilstein shocks proved to be a good buy. My coach handles very tight, yet rides very well. Now we never think about the quality of our ride. It performs exactly how we would expect it to.

I now find that the tire pressure has no effect on the quality of the ride. I have finally decided to run my tires at about the maximum recommended pressure because it is probably safer, and the ride is good.

I have never tried Koni shocks, but I can't imagine what improvement there would be by trying a different brand of shock.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote