Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #1

Has anyone tried Bilstein shocks ...instead of Konis?

After a search..I believe that the Koni shocks are the choice of most Alpine owners when buying new shocks.

I just went thru this with a Fleetwood forum a few years ago and that forum perferred Bilsteins hands down. (...gas rigs though).

I was curious to see if "anyone" had installed new Bilsteins...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed Koni's on my previous gas rig and wished afterward that I had my Belsteins back Didn't help any at all and the cost was way overboard.

When My Journey needs shocks they won't be Koni's
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #3

My coach came with Bilsteins, and the change to Koni was a definite improvement.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
My coach came with Bilsteins, and the change to Koni was a definite improvement.
How many miles on the coach when you installed the Koni?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #5

I also changed out the original Bilstine's and put Koni's on. Great improvement, especially on the front end when you would hit a wild spot in the freeway and the front end would porpoise. I would guess I did this with high 30k's on the coach. I am mid 60k's now. Do a search on this forum and you will find a number of threads.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #6

We too went from Bilstein to Koni on our 03 at about 60k--we now have about 115k on the coach and probably need to start thinking about changing out again. The challenge here is getting an "apples to apples" comparison. Most comments on the forum praise the newly installed Konis over the used Bilsteins. I too thought the new Konis were a vast improvement over the well-used Bilsteins--particularly with regard to porpoising. Now that the Konis are well-used, I am not that sure when compared "used to used," Konis are any better than Bilsteins..... As always--opinions do vary!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StansCustoms View Post
How many miles on the coach when you installed the Koni?
I don't remember for sure, but probably in the 25-30K range. I now have around 70K, so more miles since the change. There is a certain amount of truth in the apples to oranges complaint. But I am still happy with the Koni's. I won't go back, and I have new Bilstein's on my Mountaineer.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our rig has them on it. We bought it used. We had a motor home from Hell that we put them on. I really don't see any difference, from the stock Motorcraft Shocks that came on it to begin with. Except they cost a lot more than OEM.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis

I thought my Bilstines were worn out and purchased new ones.
No help, I wish I had bought Koni's.
Good luck,
Gator
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
We too went from Bilstein to Koni on our 03 at about 60k--we now have about 115k on the coach and probably need to start thinking about changing out again. The challenge here is getting an "apples to apples" comparison. Most comments on the forum praise the newly installed Konis over the used Bilsteins. I too thought the new Konis were a vast improvement over the well-used Bilsteins--particularly with regard to porpoising. Now that the Konis are well-used, I am not that sure when compared "used to used," Konis are any better than Bilsteins..... As always--opinions do vary!!!!!
Exactly....
...and why I asked. I have had the same experience when installing new Bilsteins. In fact they made so much difference I couldn't imagine anything being any better.... Again this was on gas rigs...which are not as heavy as diesel pushers. (Although one of mine was 37' with a tag axle, which is heavy for gas)

I would imagine any brand new shocks would be great compared to ones that had mileage on them.

It would be nice to see a comparison where a particular brand was installed ...and because they did not perform well, was replaced with another brand immediately, which was noticeably better....(or apples to apples ).

Years ago a gas forum I was on perferred Bilsteins...and everyone that tried them raved about them. They too were comparing old to new.

Now ..I'm wondering if there really is a lot of difference between any of the top line shocks.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:04 PM   #11

As an addendum, when I bought my Koni's the Koni tech said that after a few years I could adjust the shocks another setting or two and that would take care of some aging of the dampening of the shocks. I have yet to do that, so I cannot comment on its changes. I will say that I do not believe that the Koni's are at the same place in their life as when I made the change.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Howdy!

I'm about to replace my stock shocks with Koni's. On another forum I read they like them and have stated Koni's have a lifetime warranty.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #13

Ours is an older MH - OEM shocks were shot and handling was extremely poor, bought new HD Bilsteins and also replaced the steering stabilizer with the Bilstein version. Night and day improvement, but expected, since the OEM's were shot - more than happy with the Bilsteins and price, but no way for a practical and direct comparison with Koni's.

In my case, on-the-road handling, in traffic, and poor roads and crosswinds is of paramount importance - this isn't a sports car or luxury limousine, so I really don't expect it to drive or ride like one, especially if it interferes with or sacrifices safety...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
Ours is an older MH - OEM shocks were shot and handling was extremely poor, bought new HD Bilsteins and also replaced the steering stabilizer with the Bilstein version. Night and day improvement, but expected, since the OEM's were shot - more than happy with the Bilsteins and price, but no way for a practical and direct comparison with Koni's.

In my case, on-the-road handling, in traffic, and poor roads and crosswinds is of paramount importance - this isn't a sports car or luxury limousine, so I really don't expect it to drive or ride like one, especially if it interferes with or sacrifices safety...

>>I believe you can safely say that we all strive/want the same, and agree.

(ie. ...on-the-road handling, in traffic, and poor roads and crosswinds is of paramount importance)