Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I know there have been discussions before on installing an HDDVR in the rig. However, I was just informed by an installer that if you don't have a phone line hooked to the unit it causes a number of problems including shut down of the recorder.
Has anyone had relatively long term experience(year or so) with an installed HDDVR using Directv with no phone line attached?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:22 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I know there have been discussions before on installing an HDDVR in the rig. However, I was just informed by an installer that if you don't have a phone line hooked to the unit it causes a number of problems including shut down of the recorder.
Has anyone had relatively long term experience(year or so) with an installed HDDVR using Directv with no phone line attached?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

Are you using Directv or Dish? I have installed a Directv HD DVR. I checked with Directv directly to get that answer as I don't trust installers knowledge. The phone line is not needed on the new receivers except for special services that can be done with a call in on your cell phone. The one issue you will have is the two tuners. You will only be able to use both tuners on channels that are on the same satellite. I plan on getting a 5 LNB dish from MotoSat when they become available the first of next year.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #4

Jerry,

I don't know if we have the same setup, but I looked into this extensively and found I could not install a DirectTV HDDVR in my '06 because I have an RCA HD receiver and an LG monitor, not a TV in the front. The RCA HD receiver is also the TV tuner, and has in insert for cable as well as the crank-up analog antenna. So, the DirectTV HD receiver I tried to install was not a TV tuner and didn't have separate input for cable/analog. I would have to replace the LG monitor with an LCD TV and put in a separate satellite/cable/antenna switch (like on the rear TV) to make it work. Quite frankly, if I could make an easy fit with a new LCD TV in place of the monitor, I would be very tempted to swap the whole setup out.

My solution to getting a way of recording programs was to replace the bedroom TV with a flat screen TV and added a DVD recorder, which I use to record programs and play them on the DVD player on the front TV. A DVR is a lot better, but not feasible unless I change the front TV.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry,

I found that I had to shop for installers who understood what could and could not work. We have a KVH dish with Dish Network and a HD DVR. We have had it for almost two years. The phone line is not required, but it some times takes two or more calls to get a Customer Service, or Tech Support, person who understands RV installation quirks.

Sully

40' MD Apex
Paul "Sully" Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #6

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
OLD FORESTER
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I could not install a DirectTV HDDVR in my '06 because I have an RCA HD receiver and an LG monitor, not a TV in the front. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless I totally failed to understand what you were saying, I would think you would have no problem replacing your existing DirectTV HD receiver with a HD receiver with DVR capability like:
DirectTV HDDVR

The receiver video should be connected to the LG monitor with a HDMI cable which probably already exists in your system since you have HD.

DirectTV is going to a 5 satellite system for their HD programming. You may or may not want go to a satellite antenna with 5 LNBs to get all the HD programming. Motosat & others working on it. I could not tell if the above receiver could handle 5 LNBs. There are some unknowns so do more research before buying.discussion

We have Dish which has a 3 satellite system. We did not want the HD programming on the 3rd satellite and avoided replacing our Kingdome with a 3 LNB antenna and a big modification to our DataStorm Bird-On-A-Wire TV setup
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #7

Basil,

The problem is that my crankup antenna and cable tv leads go into and through the RCA Direct TV receiver. I have to scan cable channels and crankup antenna channels through the RCA receiver, or I don't receive them. The DirectTV DVR receivers I've looked at only provide one input -- for the satellite.

The RCA is a HD receiver, but I don't receive HD channels because I only have the one LNB in my Kingdome. I could put Bird-on-a-Wire on my Motostat Datastorm dish, but I don't care about HD, current reception is good enough for me; I just wanted DVR.

So, to receive non-satellite TV, I need a receiver that acts like a TV and provides input to the LG monitor, and has provision for cable and crank-up antenna, like the current RCA, or I need to replace the LG monitor with LCD TV, put in a 3-way cable switch, and then I could put in a DirectTV DVR. That's my understanding, having taken the receiver out of the panel about 10 times for various other fixes.

Am I missing something?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Sounds like you have it right, unless I am missing something.
What I would do in your place, is to find a used Directv Tivo HD DVR. I am still using one at my home on our exercise room TV. It will not get the new HD channels, which you stated that you don't care about. It does have 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA antenna tuners. You could use a splitter on the crank-up antenna input. I don't know what to suggest for the second satellite input.

Dale
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Old Forester,
Now I understand your problem. I downloaded the owner's manual for the DIRECTV Plus HD DVR. On page 6 it shows the back of the unit and a coax connection called "OFF-AIR IN" which I think is the antenna connection.See page 73 & 78 also. This should be verfied by calling DirecTV. It appears the receiver in your system also has an coax connection for cable TV in. I would think that the bat wing antenna and cable tv could be connected to the "OFF-AIR IN" connector thru an A/B switch and fix the problem for coaches that have two receivers.

However, on a one receiver/one LNB Kingdome system like the Old Forester coach, therer is a problem in that this receiver also has a coax connector for satellite out that is used to feed the bedroom tv usually supplied by a second receiver. There is no such connector on the DVR receiver.

This is all based on some 2004 WRV wiring diagrams I got from another 2006 owner. Also bear in mind there are many flavors of receiver/TV/DVD equipment installed in Alpine coaches.

Has anybody out there installed the DirecTV HD DVR? We have a DishNet 942 DVR which also has two receivers in one box. We NEVER watch live TV, not even the news. Why watch all those commercials?
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
OldForester,

Basil is right, I checked my current Directv HD DVR and it says it has a digital OTA tuner. My only concern with this solution is no analog reception. This would affect many cable systems and limit channels available in areas away from big cities. My guess is, that is the same as you have now, since your present receiver is HD. I would scrap my idea of the Tivo unit. I much prefer Tivo over the present Directv system, but found that due to Tivo's system it is harder to start up after power down or loss of satellite signal than the Directv unit.

Dale
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #11

Just a thought. I have an 06. Could you replace the bedroom receiver(in front) and the bedroom TV, put the DVR in the back after replacing the BR TV with a small flat screen, and just record from the Bedroom? Other than not being able to view from the front or have two imputs, what other problems would there be?
Old 12-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #12

Basil, Lundy, and Dgerstel,

Thanks for your thoughts. I think you are all on board with the issue I have and I understand your suggestions. I have been down all the paths you suggested, including, Lundy, replacing the bedroom receiver (in front) with a DVR. A regular DirectTV DVR (not HD) will work in this fashion. I've thought about it, but decided I really wanted to watch recordings from the front TV. I replaced the rear with flat screen and a DVD recorder, and it works, but it's a pain to record DVDs, finalize them, and move them to the front for play through the audio/DVD system. A DVR is much simpler, but we're limited to the rear receiver.

And, Basil, you're right in that the receiver in front feeds the receiver in the rear. So if I don't lock on to satellite in the front, I get no satellite in the rear, nor any cable, because cable has to be scanned by the front receiver after it has found satellite, or programmed so that it thinks no satellite exists (which I've done a few times). The rear tv will take a crank-up antenna feed even if the front is not locked on to satellite, so that's a little bit of a help.

If I could find a good place that really understood TVs/receivers, and could do good cabinet work while I'm here for the winter in Southern California, I would consider swapping out the LG monitor and RCA receiver for a true LCD TV and Direct TV DVR that fit in the front and putting in a 3-way switch for the front TV like the rear. The rear receiver would have to somehow be wired to get satellite reception without going through the front TV receiver; perhaps another A/B switch.

Anyway, it's a stupid design the way it's set up. Perhaps LCD TVs weren't as reliable or came in the same size as monitors when our coach was built. But it sure would have been a lot better with an LCD TV and it's own receiver, and A/B/C input switch, like the rear TV.

As somebody says, carry on, or in spite of---
Old 12-04-2007, 06:18 AM   #13

Old Forester- Give a call to to Gerardo Manzi @ RV Satellite Systems. 1-760-702-4921. He's based in the Palm Springs/Indio area and seems well thought of in the area. Maybe he can offer some help and he might know of someone local who can do the cabinet work.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #14

Rick,

Thanks for giving me the lead on Gerardo. I'll give him a call when I get back from Seattle after the first of the year.